Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 04-04-2020, 02:01 PM
Philosophical Tomato

When we went to the local grocery store a few days ago there was some sketchy guy getting in everyone's faces begging for money He boxed me in by the floral rack and was very pushy ("you can get cash back or there's an ATM right there mama"...very few people get to call me "mama" and you are NOT one of them GTFO!). Somehow I extricated myself without making physical contact; the front end manager who had seen some of this transpire literally chased him out with a broom. I suspect we'll be seeing a LOT more aggressive begging in the few stores that are open.

We try to limit our shopping now to the giant farmstand a few towns over; in season they grow their own produce and my mom's been shopping there since before I was even thought of. The few Whole Foods I've been in have been an intriguing social experiment gone wrong (social distancing? wuzzat?).

Old 04-04-2020, 07:33 PM
Master of Numbah-Crunching

I've been sent on unpaid leave for next week (luckily it is Easter Week so only 3 days unpaid, the rest paid).

<insert deity of choice> knows what's going to happen afterwards, gubmint says they are going to roll back some restictions IF people remain sheltered in place during Easter but forecasts predict first summer day on Monday, so...

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:27 AM
Philosophical Tomato

My unemployment is still f'ed up...in their system I'm "Inegible Not Denied". I have a feeling that the fact that the store is still paying us something is confounding the agency. I emailed HR about this holdup and was told that essentially it was my fault; on the application I should have selected "Still Working"...but I'm not working and we were all led to believe that there would not be an issue. UI is evidently still waiting for my company to do something...but what? Concerned now whether I'll be getting the extra unemployment $$$ as I'm not getting anything now (but haven't been denied).

Old 04-05-2020, 04:58 AM
Unsteady as she goes

Our liquor stores are considered part of the essential food & beverage category, so they're still open. Most everything else is closed. Even the churches.

Nowhere to go, and very little money to spend. I'll just be hunkered down over here, drinking wine and eating cookies.

Old 04-05-2020, 05:02 AM
Heavy Metal Admin

We went out for our biweekly grocery shopping earlier today. And just like last time, I was tired and cranky, although people didn't seem to be getting in my way as much this time. In fact, there didn't seem to be as many people this time. People kept their distance for the most part, but I still went out of my way not to cross paths with people.

I'm hoping that this means that the hoarding and panic buying is starting to level off. I did seem to have an easier time finding stuff that I couldn't find last time. There was more meat in stock, and I had an easier time getting canned vegetables. I even managed to score a pack of paper towels and a cheap pack of toilet paper, although the section was almost completely wiped out again. There was plenty of canned cat food this time, but I still can't find any of the big packs of litter. Disinfecting wiped were still cleaned out.

I ended up placing an online order for some of the things I'm having trouble finding. They're supposed to arrived Wednesday, and we have plenty to last until then.
Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Old 04-05-2020, 11:26 PM
Assistant Manager

Quote:
Quoth MoonCat View Post
Our liquor stores are considered part of the essential food & beverage category, so they're still open. Most everything else is closed. Even the churches.
I've had a few people point out to me that this may be due to alcohol withdrawal being one of those things that can land someone in the emergency department/hospital and/or can outright kill someone if not done under medical supervision. Kinda screwed up when I think about it, but I can understand why.

Quote:
Quoth notalwaysright View Post
Our stay at home order was extended to May.
Ours has been until around mid-late June since the get-go. On the flipside, one of the three major events I do as part of re-enacting were completely proactive when they got the news and said "Since our event isn't until July when the orders end, we're monitoring the situation and will keep you informed if anything changes."

I hope everyone's OK.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:21 AM
Bagger

In Ohio where we just keep saying "Here, hold my beer..."
Schools shut down since early March. Stay at home order started two weeks ago, now extended through the end of April. Essential businesses only open. Lots of arguing about what is essential. Effective tomorrow, all businesses must now limit the number of people in them. Restaurants are carry out, drive thru or delivery only. Our town has done a Facebook page to help the local ones keep open by posting specials, menus or just for the reminder that they are still open

Working from home as my job is considered essential. SNAP/TANF/ Medicaid must be processed and with our agency if one of us caught it we would not only spread it to everyone in our unit, but to children services and child support as we share a building. We have also been told that we can switched to working just for our partner counties but may have to pitch in for other counties in the state if they start to have problems with their workers and the virus. We have also been told that we may have to help out with unemployment because it is a clusterf**k. The system is over burdened because it was never meant to have 200,000 people apply in one shot.

Overall, there is no TP in the county to be had unless you are the first person in the store in the morning. I scored some Lysol over the weekend. I'm not looking for food because I tend to be overstocked as it is. Just need perishables weekly. We have several small town butcher shops in my county so we have had access to meat, you just need to look for it and maybe pay a little bit more then you planned.

Ohio has been leading the charge in lots of different things. We shut down mass gatherings before we had a reason to which has helped us keep our numbers lower than some of our surrounding states.

Old 04-06-2020, 03:21 AM
Essential Worker

Quote:
Quoth LadyofArc View Post
I've had a few people point out to me that this may be due to alcohol withdrawal being one of those things that can land someone in the emergency department/hospital and/or can outright kill someone if not done under medical supervision. Kinda screwed up when I think about it, but I can understand why.
Alcohol withdrawal is no joke. A few years ago when I was a very heavy drinker, I tried to abstain for a few days because I had a bad cold, and I wound up having a seizure and spending two days in the ICU.

Old 04-06-2020, 07:06 AM
I need a life

You guys, don't give CPR to snakes, OK? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvArUcf-1V4 5:00 is hilarious.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:19 PM
Area Manager

I'm in New Brunswick, Canada. We just tipped over 100 confirmed cases this weekend, but we know we are greatly under testing. We simply didn't have the testing supplies to test as much as other provinces, but that's apparently going to be fixed this week hopefully.

My parents are in a small town upriver from me and keeping isolated; dad goes out for groceries and otherwise they're staying home so they should be safe despite being in a higher risk category.

I've been work from home for a week or so now. I go out for a drive every morning and evening (before and after work) to keep the routine going. Don't get out of the car, just a quick spin to the PokeStops in my neighbourhood before buckling down for work.

Most of the stores have shortened hours, and set up senior/at risk shopping hours at the start of the day. The big ones are also limiting access with cleaning stations and physical spacing.

TP and hand sanitizer had a heavy run early on, but TP supplies are almost back to normal; no real challenge finding it now. Flour and Yeast seem to be the bigger challenges now. And meat somewhat. Made a BIG pot of pasta sauce over the weekend; since I snagged 6 bottles of sauce it may have seemed like I was panic buying, but really I was just doing my usual "make enough sauce for a month and freeze it" amounts.

The biggest underlying concern in my family at the moment is my sister. Unlike my parents and I, she's a manager at a Crappy Tire out in Edmonton. So she's in a big city, with lots of cases, and on the front line. When Edmonton had its first case discovered, sanitizer disappeared in the city. Mom luckily found some here in NB (actually Dad found some at the Walmart in Houlton Maine) and they shipped out a case to her.

In any case, we're all just battening down the hatches and trying to stay sane now.