This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Seanette View Post
    I get customers (not always elderly) who think they need to use the pen to punch physical buttons to enter a PIN.
    I get those too. I also get the ones who, when they need to touch something on the screen with the stylus, pick up the stylus by the leash end, hold it like it's a live snake about to bite them and slap the stylus vaguely against the screen! How do you not know how to properly use a stylus?! Do you write by holding the back end of the pen and vaguely slapping it onto the paper?! One of these days, my brain filter is going to break and I'm going to tell some fool off. And my boss is not going to be happy with me...
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
      Some cashiers will say "on EBT?" or "food stamps?" loud
      I do my best to forestall this -- I just keep my EBT card in the same wallet pocket as my grocery store "discount" card, so when I pass the cashier the latter, I show them the former and hang on to it. When they're giving me the total, I bring it up again. 99% of the time, they don't bother asking, or stop halfway through their memorized automatic question, e.g., "Will that be- oh yeah"
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Playing devil's advocate for a moment... could she be red/green colorblind? It's very rare in women but not unheard of. My biological mother has it. Obviously that shouldn't keep her from reading the accompanying text on the button that says OK, but the mention of color might have tripped her up. At least at first. Four times, there's some stupidity going on...

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
          Playing devil's advocate for a moment... could she be red/green colorblind? It's very rare in women but not unheard of. My biological mother has it. Obviously that shouldn't keep her from reading the accompanying text on the button that says OK, but the mention of color might have tripped her up. At least at first. Four times, there's some stupidity going on...
          I am both female and red/green colourblind (also blue/yellow). Every debit/credit pad I have used also has the name of the button typed into it, or an X and a circle (for good/bad, whatever the choice is for that round). It is really simple to understand the buttons, and I've only come across one reader that was incomprehensible. (The raised text was in braile, which I don't read).

Four times, there's some stupidity going on.... was bang on the money. There is no excuse for that level of obliviousness combined with failing to ask for clarification when the instructions are incomprehensible due to any differing level of ability (colour blind, illiterate, too short to read the screen etc.)
          Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
            That's why I say "red X" and "green button on the bottom" because we do have a few red-green colorblind customers in our store, so I've made it a habit. The red button has a raised X on it, then below it is a yellow button with an arrow like <-- and then below that the green button has a bent arrow kind of like you find on the enter key of most keyboards.
            "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Quoth Kaylyn View Post
              Playing devil's advocate for a moment... could she be red/green colorblind? It's very rare in women but not unheard of. My biological mother has it.
              I believe you've mentioned being a woman - so you're a carrier. Your sons will have a 50/50 chance of being RG colour blind, and your daughters will have a 50/50 chance of being carriers.

The reason it's very rare in women is it's a recessive trait carried on the "X" chromosome. Men have only one copy, so if they get a "bad" one from their mother they have the trait. A woman getting one "bad" copy will have a "good" copy from their other parent as backup, so they don't have the trait. Only if they get "bad" copies from both parents would they have the trait (and your mother's father was also RG colour blind, otherwise he wouldn't have had a "bad" "X" chromosome to pass on to your mother). Since your mother had 2 "bad" copies, all your siblings would get a "bad" copy from her, so your brothers would all be RG colour blind and your sisters would all be carriers.
              Last edited by wolfie; 09-18-2014, 06:38 AM. Reason: added more detail.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              X