Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My husband has worked in computers for most of his life and is a senior-level programmer now. I asked him the going rate for an entry level IT position. He figures it's around $15-20k US.

I used the Head First books to each myself HTML and CSS. I plan on buying the networking book for myself later. You might want to pick up a copy and read it to learn about how they work.
    Last edited by strawbabies; 08-16-2014, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Hope you get the job!!!! *crossing fingers and sending good luck*

Comment

Fingers & toes crossed for you!

Also, hope there's a payrise involved
        Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum! - Don't you dare erase my hard disk!

This is Tech Support, not Customer Service.
        What's the difference?
        We're allowed to tell you "no".

Comment

Sadly, most of the time, the people who work in the trenches, and who probably interviewed/talked to you, recognize the importance and experience of hands on learning vs school learning.

But the people who make the actual decisions, look at Applicant A with hands on, and Applicant B with a lot of Courses and Programs and other acronyms; and decide to buy the Alphabet soup.

Years ago, I was in a developer office with 4 programmers. One of our best programmers was almost entirely self taught. We were lucky that our manager recognized the importance of that, and he (the manager) confided in me/us once that the good guy would sadly tend to be overlooked by a lot of offices just because he didn't have the Alphabet Soup.

Comment

Perhaps you can have a spoonful of Alphabet Soup for yourself, that's doable in a few months.
            No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

If your IT staff are excellent, you almost never notice their work: it's one of THOSE sorts of positions. You notice it when they screw up, and when they keep everything running smoothly, it's just not seen.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Someone should explain to him about malvertising.

Comment

Are you sure you didn't hire Mordac and Wally's secret lovechild?

/Dilbert
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                  X