Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No where does it say I can't sleep here!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No where does it say I can't sleep here!

So I do security at a library, now it's normal for homeless to come in and sleep in our chairs and sometime they give us hard time if we wake them up but this guy took the cake we had 2 separate dealing with him in the same day

S/S: Site supervisor
    C/G: Closing guard
    HG: homeless guy

My Supervisor is doing a patrol of the 4th floor when he comes across a guy completely spread out on top of a table sleeping

S/S: Excuse me sir, you can't be laying on the table
    HG: Why, not!

S/S: Sir, this is a public library you can't lay on the tables, can you please sit in one of the chairs

HG: No where in the library rules does it say I can't sleep on a table!
    S/S: Sir, off the table please

HG: NO, i've read the rules it doesn't say I can't!
    S/S: Sir, get off the table or you will be barred from the property
    HG: Fine! but it still doesn't say anywhere in your rules I can't sleep there!

later that night at little after mid-night (he library itself closes at 6pm but it's connected to downtown parkcade and indoor walkway system so we are there till about 1 am) the closing guard is doing his lock up when he opens the elevator and finds the same guy asleep in the elevator

CG: Sir you can't sleep here, you have to leave
    HG: No!

C/G: Sir, i'm locking the building up you have to leave
    HG: No, i'm going to sleep here tonight

C/G: You can't sleep here i'm locking and alarming the building
    HG: No i'm staying right where I am, no where in your rules does it say I can't sleep in a elevator!

C/G: No your leaving now or i'll have you arrested for trespassing now go!
    HG: Fine I'll leave but no where does it say I can't sleep in an elevator!

The C/G pretty much had to shove him out the door. that was the condensed version they went back a forth several times saying pretty much the same thing. I felt bad for him as well because in the confusion C/G forgot the turn off the elevator and just after C/G left the building someone from the underground parkcade used it and set off a door alarm so he had to wait an extra 1 hour outside in -30 for someone to come down with a set of keys to let him back in(we leave the security keys in a lock box as we leave)

Some other places where there are no rules specifically stating one cannot sleep:
    -- The highway
    -- The beach at low tide, well below the high tide mark
    -- The waste water of a nuclear power plant
    -- Inside the big cat cage at the zoo
    -- In the shaft beneath the elevator

Next time, invite the guy to sleep in one of these other places.
    Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I'm going to sleep right here in this thread. nowhere does it say I can't sleep here.
      Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
      Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
        I'm going to sleep right here in this thread. nowhere does it say I can't sleep here.
        *choke* I violated Rule 1.
        "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
        Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Quoth Mr. Security View Post
          S/S: Sir, this is a public library you can't lay on the tables, can you please sit in one of the chairs
          C/G: You can't sleep here i'm locking and alarming the building
          HG: No i'm staying right where I am, no where in your rules does it say I can't sleep in a elevator!
          "Our rules also don't say I can't bash you over the head repeatedly with this chair. Heads up!"
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Nor do the rules say you can.
            I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
            -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Were there any homeless shelters nearby that you could've directed him to?
              ......../\
              ....../__\
              ..../\...../\
              ../__\../__\

Comment

Quoth Sarah Valentine View Post
                Were there any homeless shelters nearby that you could've directed him to?

yes there are several most tell us to f-off when we tell them that

Comment

People like this guy are why rule lists get obnoxious and specific.
                  1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                  -----
                  http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

yes there are several most tell us to f-off when we tell them that
                    Well, I know many shelter's do drug/alcohol checks before admitting you inside. This could, perhaps, be the reason they are seeking repose in alternate locations.

SC
                    "...four of his five wits went halting off, and now is the whole man governed with one..." W. Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing Act I, Sc I

Do you like Shakespeare? Join us The Globe Theater!

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                      Well, I know many shelter's do drug/alcohol checks before admitting you inside. This could, perhaps, be the reason they are seeking repose in alternate locations.

SC
                      Could be a possibility why he couldn't get into a local shelter.

He could have missed curfew (if you're not there to check in by a specific time - say 8pm which is curfew in my area-, they will not allow you in - they fill up that quick,) or he could have violated one too many rules at the shelter (such as smuggling in items that are a no-no or fighting with another client, whathaveyou) and he's been banned.

And the places that do provide a place for folks who are dealing with drug/alcohol/addition issues are declining rapidly, so the number of places he could go are few and far between, if there are any in the area at all.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post

SC
                        Nailed it in one. You have to be sober to stay a a shelter, and many of these guys aren't.

They also can't stay at the shelter during the day. They have to check in by a specific time to get a bed, and are out very early, between 7am and 9am.

Shelters can also be very dangerous, especially for the men. Robberies are common in the larger ones.
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Does the library have a "No Loitering" sign anywhere? If so, that's the "rule" that says he can't sleep there!

I once saw a library that said, "No Loitering. However, Reading, Research, and Paperwork are welcome!"
                          If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                            Does the library have a "No Loitering" sign anywhere? If so, that's the "rule" that says he can't sleep there!

I once saw a library that said, "No Loitering. However, Reading, Research, and Paperwork are welcome!"

we have some Unofficial ones that we as security made up that I sometimes put up after hours but library administration doesn't like us creating policy's and won't agree to put up any in the lobby areas as they don't want to risk upsetting patrons. especially since they moved the bus stop along the side of our building and installed tv's in the lobby that have bus times running on them. Our lobby after hours is pretty much turning into a bus station now

Comment

we have some Unofficial ones that we as security made up
                              The title wouldn't happen to be Common Sense would it?
                              I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                              -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Working...
                              X