This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Support: Hidden butcher shop?

So I run my own business now. I take calls from people, schedule appointments to go to their homes, and do computer, printer and network repair. Basically, I do Geek Squad's job, but at a fraction of the cost.

So yesterday, I get a call about a network issue at someone's home. I head down the person's home, and nothing is wrong when I get there. Nice neighborhood, shoveled driveway, shoveled walk, house in proper repair, all that. I ring the doorbell, introduced myself, and have them sign the service agreement, which is my insurance in case they try to stiff me. After they sign it, I enter their home, and I am smacked in the face with the most horrible stench I have ever experienced. I'm talking the smell of an uncleaned catbox, rotting fish, rotting meat, spoiled cheese, vomit...basically, the worst things you can think of regarding stench.

The best part of all this? No physical evidence of any of this. House was clean, trash was taken out, no pets in the house. It LOOKED clean, well taken care of, and in proper order. So I put this out of my mind, and I get to work. I go through the whole house, taking care of the network, secure in the fact that I'm going to have a nice little payday from this. Once I am done with the upper floors, I am finally led to the final floor I haven't worked on; the basement.

And in the basement? They are running a small time butcher shop. This is where the smell came from. Oh, it was clean, yes. As clean as a butcher shop needs to be in order to stay in business. But somehow, the smells from the basement seeped through the rest of the house. My mind goes to 2 places; one, how has this house NOT been able able to operate a butcher shop without being shut down, and that I am definitely charging my business fee for having to deal with this.

Now, before I go on, I have to explain that. I have two sets of quotable prices; homes, and businesses. Homes are far cheaper than a business of course, but I do this because a place of business takes a HELL of a lot more work to secure it properly, and ensure business software works properly.

So I finish the job, and I tell this homeowner my fee. They are a bit miffed of course, because they expected my home fee, and not my business fee. And I said "Look, you signed the service agreement. You agreed to pay me what I am asking. You outright lied to me when I asked whether this was a home or place of business, and I am charging you accordingly for it."

Homeowner: But It's not a place of business!

Me: I'm sure the health department would disagree. Now, you either pay me what is owed, or I am calling the health department right now and telling them about the butcher shop.

Homeowner: But they are fine with it!

Me: Okay, then pay me what is owed, or I will take you to court for breech of contract.

The homeowner begrudgingly writes me a check for the amount owned, and I added "Now, this isn't going to bounce, is it?" The homeowner gives me a curt "no", and I leave, making sure I write down the house number and phone number to tell people to never go to this butcher shop.

What gets me is how the health department didn't condemn the house due to the smell. They probably need to change out their insulation or something.

EDIT: Check has since cleared, and health department called on this house. Still, I won't forget the stinky house.
    Last edited by Hitokiri Akins; 01-03-2014, 10:32 PM. Reason: Update to story
    The customer is not always right. Most of the time, the customer is a clueless moron. If this offends you, you are this moron.

What gets me is how the health department didn't condemn the house due to the smell
    My guess would be that the health dept. actually DOESN'T KNOW ABOUT IT. You had work to do so you wouldn't be looking for certificates from the health dept. but if they had one, they would probably be required to display it. So I betcha the health dept knows nothing about it.

Oh and congrats on your business!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Now I'm tempted to contact the health department anyway. Because no house should smell like that.

And thanks. It's tough, but at least I'm working in my field again.
      The customer is not always right. Most of the time, the customer is a clueless moron. If this offends you, you are this moron.

Comment

Quoth Hitokiri Akins View Post

What gets me is how the health department didn't condemn the house due to the smell. They probably need to change out their insulation or something.
        If the smell isn't getting out of the house and into the neighborhood, there probably isn't a health department concern because nobody knows what's going on in that house.

Not that I disagree with your decision to charge the business rate, but I'm wondering if this was actually a small-time operation butchering wild game or cattle for the homeowners and maybe a few friends or family. If you could find a website or ad someplace advertising butchering services out of that address, it would help your case with the health department or the local tax authorities. If nothing else, consider the business rate the cost of having to deal with the bad odor.
        Last edited by Irving Patrick Freleigh; 12-16-2013, 02:31 AM.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm with Irv that maybe this was a home-hobby sort of thing. If this really was being operated as a business, don't feel bad complaining to the health department. Just make sure the check clears first.

And while I recognize that butcher shops never smell pleasant, the fact the odor was so overwhelming suggests there is a problem somewhere and it isn't as clean as you think. Either they don't have proper drainage and/or ventilation, or the place just isn't being sanitized and washed down as well as it should. Ew.
          A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

somethings gotta be wrong. I've been in butcher shops before. they have a certain smell but not a stench. I'd still go ahead and report them.

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Not that I disagree with your decision to charge the business rate, but I'm wondering if this was actually a small-time operation butchering wild game or cattle for the homeowners and maybe a few friends or family. If you could find a website or ad someplace advertising butchering services out of that address, it would help your case with the health department or the local tax authorities. If nothing else, consider the business rate the cost of having to deal with the bad odor.
              Considering that one of the things I worked on was a Point Of Sales system, I'd wager that my business rate was justified. As much as I may have hated being there, I know I have to keep my customers happy if I'm going to stay in business, so I'm not going to hike up the price without legitimate justification.
              Last edited by Hitokiri Akins; 12-16-2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I'm talking the smell of an uncleaned catbox, rotting fish, rotting meat, spoiled cheese, vomit...basically, the worst things you can think of regarding stench.

Butcher's shops I've been in have smelled of raw meat: muscle meat, offal, marrow, bone dust. Under that, a smell of disinfectants, and often a tinge of lemon or vinegar - the acids from those being useful for cleaning proteins and fats.

A butcher's shop should never smell of rotting meat, and definitely not of uncleaned catbox.

I can understand a smell of fresh urine or bile - bladders and gall bladders are, after all, a necessary part of the butchering process. But those should be dealt with and either discarded or sold to people who need those chemicals. Not left till the place smells like uncleaned catbox and vomit!

No. Something is wrong there. Once the check clears, I'd be inclined to make an anonymous tip to the health department.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  A butcher's shop should never smell of rotting meat, and definitely not of uncleaned catbox.
                  I was using a bit of hyperbole there, not an accurate description of the smell. And the butcher shop was in the basement of a house, so the smell seeped through the rest of the place.

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  No. Something is wrong there. Once the check clears, I'd be inclined to make an anonymous tip to the health department.
                  I deposited the check today, and I'm waiting for it to clear now. And if it bounces? I'm contacting the health department AND the better business bureau.

Comment

Would calling the police also help? Or would it be better to leave it to the health professionals?
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I feel like throwing up now. I hate the smell if butcher shops at the best of times.

Comment

...Long pig?
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          ...Long pig?
                          Why is the name John Wayne Gacy coming to mind right now?
                          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

make sure the check clears then call the health dept.

Comment

Good news; called health department on the household after the check cleared.

Bad news; I had to throw out my shoes, since they, and only they, carried the stink from the house.

Comment

Working...
                              X