This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thor

Just saw the latest Thor film. I saw it with another bloke. Didn't turn up with him; he was the only other audience member.

Not bad, but it could have easily been called "Loki".

Rapscallion

I liked it. It wasn't one of the best Marvel movies, but it did well enough to set up some of the conflicts going forward in the franchise as a whole. There's things that will factor into Guardians of the Galaxy, and presumably either in Avengers 2, or possibly Avengers 3.

One of the funniest scenes, in my opinion, is when Dr. Selvig meets Thor again. "Thor! ...Loki isn't coming, is he?"

I went to go see it with my buddy Tom, and on the drive back to his place, he briefly questioned the scene we see in the mid-credits stinger.

============SPOILERS============
    Namely, Sif and Volstagg deliver the Aether to the Collector (a significant character in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie), stating that with the Tesseract already on Asgar, it's a bad idea to have two Infinity Stones in one place. Of course, after they leave, Collector remarks, "One down, five to go."

Tom questioned that decision, like "why would you even let it out of your sight?" I told him, "Think about who probably told them to deliver the Aether to him in the first place?" Namely, Odin. Which is to say, Loki-disguised-as-Odin. Who is already known to be helping Thanos the Mad Titan.

===========END SPOILERS==========
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post
      Loki was delightfully sassy in this! I could easily watch a movie all about him if he was this sassy And when the good Dr. Selvig was running around in the buff was hilarious too...I damn near pissed myself laughing.

There were many funny parts in this movie and I cannot wait to see some of the behind the scenes stuff when they release the DVD/BluRay.
      I think what Loki took from his brief time on Earth was how to snark like a pro.

The nicely understated reaction to the first major tragedy of the movie (SPOILER Frigga's death END SPOILER) was a nice touch.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
        Just saw the latest Thor film. I saw it with another bloke. Didn't turn up with him; he was the only other audience member.

Rapscallion
        All great heroes are defined by their villains.

Superman would not be nearly as cool without Lex Luthor, nor Batman without the Joker.

Thor is defined by his adversary Loki.

I absolutely LOVE Tom Hiddleston. He absolutely nails the character. Truth is, I went to see Thor 2 to see Loki. My favorite scenes in the Avengers were the scenes with Loki.

He is the coolest villain on screen ever.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          All great heroes are defined by their villains.
          The Marvel movies have been pretty good at having villains that are foils to the protags in some way.

Iron Man 1: Tony Stark is a brilliant inventor that develops weapons, but when he realizes that his inventions are ruining lives, he invents a suit and sets out to destroy them. Iron Monger is a fairly brilliant in his own right (albeit with business rather than engineering), but either never had the realization that the weapons he sells are destroying lives, or just doesn't care, and has a suit created (rather than make it himself) in order to turn around and sell it.

Incredible Hulk: Bruce Banner is a scientist that gets dosed with super-soldier serum and a gamma pulse and becomes a rampaging monster, and desperately searches for a way to reverse the effects. Abomination is a soldier that gets dosed with super-soldier serum, then desperately searches for a way to increase the effects until he becomes a rampaging monster.

Iron Man 2: Two foils here. Justin Hammer is a less-successful, less-brilliant businessman/inventor rival to Tony, constantly trying (and failing) to be as suave and popular as Tony, trying to upstage and undermine him by any means necessary. Ivan Vanko is an equally brilliant and resourceful inventor as Tony, who wakes up Tony and the military to the dangers of Tony's inventions (this is what arc reactors could be used for in the wrong hands) and unmanned drones (what if someone hacks the systems).

Thor: Thor is big and strong and heir to the throne of Asgard, but is hot-tempered and belligerent and his first instinct is to hit something. Loki is more slight, faster, and covets the throne, and his anger runs cold, he's more cunning, and his first instinct is to use trickery and deceit.

Captain America: Steve Rogers doesn't want to join the war to kill Nazis, he just wants to protect people from bullies (which is what he sees the Nazis as) and wants to serve his country. Johann Schmidt is a bully, has no loyalty to his own country, and wants to conquer the world to rule over it like a god.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            I would be totally okay with this, frankly.

Comment

I think the third Thor movie will probably be called "Thor: Reign of Loki" or something.

Comment

it was fun, I wasn't totally into partially because of the kid behind me kicking my seat. I felt the story though was taken out of two certain doctor who season finales.
                Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

I loved that movie. Not as good as the first though.

Loki is awesome. Did you see Tom Hiddlestons performance at Comic Con? Wish I had been there to see it.

Comment

I enjoyed it, but I got the impression that there were a lot of deleted scenes. Everything just seemed to come together way too quickly.

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
                      I enjoyed it, but I got the impression that there were a lot of deleted scenes. Everything just seemed to come together way too quickly.
                      It's also possible they were saving some of the explanations for things for this week's "Agents of SHIELD" episode, which supposedly picks up immediately after this movie.

Comment

Working...
                      X