This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I made eclairs!

First time EVER working with choux pastry. Am rather chuffed. Gave some to a neighbour and he promptly proposed.
    Attached Files
    The report button - not just for decoration

Om nom nom nom. Eclairs disposed of
    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Swap eclairs for creme brulees?
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

oh alright then

I'm dubbing these the "marriage" eclairs. I give baked goods to a couple of neighbours, and all of them have proposed :P

Comment

They look amazing.

Great job!
          Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Heck, for one of those I'd propose to you and I'm female, straight, and in a relationship. They do look gorgeous.
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

O.O

I haven't even tasted them and I'm proposing.

It's ok, boyfriend travels a lot for work, I've a spare bedroom, and I make great Italian food, we can make this work!!

I can haz eclairs??

*bats eyes* Pllleeeeeaasssee??

And if neither of us can relocate for the aforementioned nuptials, can I at least have the recipe?

Comment

Quoth iradney View Post

I'm dubbing these the "marriage" eclairs. I give baked goods to a couple of neighbours, and all of them have proposed :P
                Wanna go three for three?
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

nice job

Next assignment is almond financiers with candied ginger.

[what? I prefer them to eclairs.]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

they look great! Were you amazed at how easy they are?
                    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Is that the same type of dough as for cream puffs? My mom used to make those from scratch. I was amazed that it needed to be cooked in a saucepan. Just seemed strange. Oh, they were soooo good.
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Dang you, iradney, I'm a DIABETIC. And you HAD to troll sugar I can't ever HAVE under my nose. Hate you so much right now.....

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                          Dang you, iradney, I'm a DIABETIC. And you HAD to troll sugar I can't ever HAVE under my nose. Hate you so much right now.....
                          O.o plan your meals right and you can have a treat like that.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                            Choux pastry doesn't need sugar as a texturizer, and you can cheat and use sugarless french vanilla pudding made with light cream instead of pastry cream - that way you only have the white flour carbs and the instant pudding fats to deal with. If you absolutely feel you must sweeten the choux pastry, you can use a few drops of liquid splenda.

[it is so much easier now I don't have to con my way into lab grade liquid splenda and can buy it off line from sweetz free ...]
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Actually, for this recipe, the pastry itself is basically eggs, flour, butter and water:
                              125 g butter
                              3/4 cup water
                              1 cup sifted flour
                              1/2 tsp salt
                              4 eggs, room temp

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius. Line a baking tray with baking paper or use a Silpat.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the water, then bring to the boil. Remove from the heat, and add the flour and salt. Return the saucepan to the heat and stir very quickly until a ball forms, and the dough comes away from the side. Transfer the dough to the bowl of an electric mixer, with a paddle attachment, cool for 3 minutes.

With the mixer on slow speed, add the eggs one at a time, making sure each egg is fully incorporated before the next one is added. Beat until the dough is stiff and glossy. Use immediately.

Pipe the dough into whichever shape you desire. Make sure you don't pipe them too close together as they do expand a fair bit. Bake regular size for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 180 degrees celcius and bake for a further 15 minutes. (for smaller ones, bake for 7 mins at each temp setting). Allow to cool. Fill with cream and dip into chocolate.

The filling you may need to play around with to make it diabetic friendly though.

Comment

Working...
                              X