This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No water

I live in a condo complex which has four buildings. Buildings A, B and C have three floors, each floor containing 51 two-storey units. Building D is the high-rise: it has 18 floors (but skips the 13th floor, so the top floor is called the 19th floor). The first floor has at least 25 two-storey units. The rest of them, I think, have 14 or 15 one-storey units (I don't know if they skip the 13th unit). I used to live in Building A until two years ago, when I moved into my sister's house. After moving out, I currently live in Building C.

Management shut off my water supply. Not because I'm behind in my bills, but because the building had several leaks and they needed to fix it, right now. So Building C is without water. It seems to be coming back, but it will be a while.

Meanwhile, we haven't saved any water. I was seriously considering heading out to the local corner store in my complex to buy water. My mother harvested water from the toilet tanks so I could wash my hands and brush my teeth.

And what's worse is that every time I find no water from my tap, I think about the thousands or even millions of people out in the world who have to deal with no clean water every day.

Anyone else have these problems?
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

My landlord's brother was digging a trench for something and hit our water main once. We were only out of water for less than a day, though.

I'd see if you can get an ETA for when service will be restored and go buy a few gallons to last in the meantime. Maybe also see if you can get a discount on your rent for the month if this is going to take a while.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

2007 we had horrendous floods in this county, the water pumping station got flooded & the county had no water for nearly 3 weeks. There's a reason why I have 1000l of water harvested in water butts around the house now...
      A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Update: water has been restored to the building.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Also, we pay maintenance, not rent, since I live in a condo. I've suggested to management that we have an email notification system set up. Currently, the only way to notify us is to post paper notices on the wall between the elevators or to put them on our doors. Great, but some of us don't leave home, so we won't know unless we call.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I'm surprised they didn't let you know beforehand, even if it was just a couple hours. I have a detached house but whenever the road crews need to shut off the water we have at least a day's notice.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

It was an emergency situation. They only put up the paper notices late in the morning. If it's scheduled or non-emergency, they will give us at least a week's notice.
              cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

One day I was getting ready for work and went to turn the shower and...nothing. There was a water main break. Just as I was ready to call work and tell them I'm probably going to be late the water came on. Relieved and annoyed at the same time.

Another time I got a knock on the door and the guy said they were going to be shutting the water off in the next few minutes. Yeah, another work day. Don't think I ever took such a fast shower ever.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post

And what's worse is that every time I find no water from my tap, I think about the thousands or even millions of people out in the world who have to deal with no clean water every day.

Anyone else have these problems?
                  Slightly OT. I had the opportunity to go to Haiti earlier this year. What I saw astounded and saddened me. You would see an irrigation ditch with trash and some flowing water, further down in the ditch, you would see a grown man naked, taking a bath. Further down you would see people washing clothes, urinating. Some were filling pots and pans. This is the same stream of water. There arent enough wells and there is not a public sewer or water system.

Its amazing what we have and are used to. When I worry about something like the power going out or being without water, I think back to Haiti. if they can do it with little to no resources. I can do it with my store across the street. (Not saying this to make anyone feel bad, I'm just relaying my story. )

Of course, that being said, I would be upset if my water was shut off and no one thought to make sure I knew. I do think there should be some kind of system for informing that many people that their building is going without something important like that. I hope they get the email syste, up. Even a text, or automated phone call would be nice and helpful.
                  Last edited by Amina516; 11-20-2013, 12:38 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

The automated phone call would be great. Some people don't have email after all.

We have a board of directors meeting with an owner's forum this Thursday; since I'm not going to make it, I've asked Management to raise the issue of the email notification system at the meeting.
                    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                      Of course, that being said, I would be upset if my water was shut off and no one thought to make sure I knew. I do think there should be some kind of system for informing that many people that their building is going without something important like that. I hope they get the email syste, up. Even a text, or automated phone call would be nice and helpful.
                      If its a scheduled shut off from the town/city itself you'll be notified in advance. However, when it gets shut off due to damage or flooding there isn't going to be any notice unless its a smaller building with an on site manager. Instead, there will be an unfortunate graveyard operator at a call centre handling the company's emergency line who will have to repeatedly explain that to whiny people that can't deal without modern convenience for an hour or two. >.>

I've dealt with this scenario countless times at work. The water doesn't get shut off unless there's a major problem going on. Like a burst line or a flood/leak they can't find the source of. Though I've still had people yell at me that they can't take a bath even after explaining that 5 suites and one entire floor are ankle deep in water. So their me time in a bubble bath should likely be the least of their worries right now.

Comment

We have to call the security office if the management office is closed. So any SC will have to deal with our tough guys if they happen to call during the weekend.
                        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Working...
                        X