Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been ages since I used Excel, but I wanna say 32 thousand rows/columns? ^_^

Come to think of it, QuickBooks and Peachtree both have functions that let you export data from their files (which are standard, multi-table, relational databases) into flat-file Tab/CSV's (QB's are called IIF's but they're still structurally Tab-delimited files) -- Mostly useful for reporting or looking for data anomalies, but they can be used as a kludgy, last-resort data recovery method when all other possibilities have been exhausted; both programs have functions that let you import the CSVs into a new file, but transaction links are not necessarily properly maintained. This is juuust a bit of an issue for programs where 95% of what the users work with on a daily basis are documents based upon query results that pull from a minimum of four linked tables each...o_O
    Last edited by EricKei; 09-30-2014, 02:33 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
      It's been ages since I used Excel, but I wanna say 32 thousand rows/columns? ^_^
      Excel 2007 has a limit of 1,048,576 rows and 16,384 columns.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
        Excel 2007 has a limit of 1,048,576 rows and 16,384 columns.
        Same for 2013.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I'd be tempted to dump all the different tables to separate spreadsheets, and let them figure out how the key fields link together. It would be what they asked for, after all...
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
            Sometimes it isn't whether common sense or familiarity should prevent ludicrous requests, or even the person doing the requesting, sometimes it's just the request itself. Just like there's nothing inherently wrong with the (Item doesn't scan.) "Guess it must be free! Yuk, yuk, yuk." scenario but sometimes the sheer inanity wears you down. I'm sure some people out there really think that that is original and funny, and vikingchyk's user may think her request is correct and reasonable, but it can still be frustrating, hence the vent.
            Ahh, gotcha
            There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.

Comment

We had something sort of similar to this happen in a previous job.

We had an AS400 server with a massive data set on it. Health and financial data, all in typically obtuse tables, weird alphabet soup field names etc. It was all but impossible to get anything out of it that you could make sense of, unless you knew what you were doing, and even then it took a bit of work for the more clinical information to be analysed.

There was a trial in town, and the lawyers (not sure if defence or prosecution) sent us a subpoena for the server. We said 'sure, send a semi-trailer'. Oh no, we don't want the server, just the data on it - can we just have the data? 'Sure, no problems, it will be around 6,500 DVDs, is that ok? Just give us the time to burn them.' Oh - really? That much?? Umm... how about we ask you for want we want/need, will that work for you? 'Yeah, that would be just fine...'

Comment

reminds me of the joke (at least i think it was a joke) about the clueless boss who wanted their secretary to "print out Google"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  I'd be tempted to dump all the different tables to separate spreadsheets, and let them figure out how the key fields link together. It would be what they asked for, after all...
                  Ooooooh evil! I love evil!

And most likely each and every spreadsheet will take 1h+ to open.
                  <BOFH=true> I just gave you what asked for... <BOFH=false>
                  No trees were killed in the posting of this message.

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                    Be sure to shrink each spreadsheet so it fits on the page.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                      Be sure to shrink each spreadsheet so it fits on the page.
                      And after the complaint about lack of links, link them so opening one makes it open aaaaaallll of them. Eventually. Probably just after the fall of civilisation and the opening of Satan's Skating Shop.

And make sure auto-calc is on.

Comment

I'm a business administration major in college. My university requires me to take 2 semesters of Decision Science Information Management courses so I don't end up being the idiot manager who asks for this kind of stuff.

Comment

Working...
                        X