This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth paintballworker View Post
    It was supposed to be F-105 *hangs head in shame....and hands over his airplane nerd card*
    Trying to wildly weasel out a last gaspe?
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
      Don't mention the Avro Arrow in front of my uncle ... he worked on it, and of course lost his job, along with everybody else who'd worked on it, when the project was cancelled, for which he has never forgiven John Diefenbaker.
      Quoth paintballworker View Post
      I think 90% of Canadian aviation enthusiasts have never forgiven Diefenbaker, the rest have forgotten his name.

One of my Engineering Graphics instructors in University was involved in the project, and he had an interesting story. Due to the difference between "1st angle" and "3rd angle" 3-view drawings (one is the standard in Britain, one in the U.S., and of course Canada uses a mix of the 2 sources), the originally-ordered landing gear was built backwards. For the initial taxi tests, a highly simplified (so it could be built quickly - but this version wasn't retractable) version of the gear was built so the taxi testing could proceed while the real landing gear was being re-made. I've heard that a similar issue happened when Packard got the blueprints from Rolls Royce to build the Merlin under license during WW2.
      Last edited by Ree; 06-07-2013, 01:26 AM. Reason: Removed "told ya it was fratching" comment
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

My bucket list..

1) Go to a Steelers Football game

2) Go to the Bathurst 1000 (just a small trip, considering the race is in New South Wales, Australia and I'm in the US.)

3) Travel the whole length of the old US Route 66.

4) Go to a J. Geils Concert

5) To laps on a track in a real race car..(I do alot of 'racing' in the Iracing Sim, but i would like to alteast try the real thing)

6) Buy a Brand New car, off the lot car with hardly any millage on it.
        Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          if anyone wants to go into the circumstances, that discussion would belong in Fratching
          If you know it belongs on Fratching, then dont' mention it here. Moreover that line of discussion is off-topic.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
            My bucket list..

*snip*

6) Buy a Brand New car, off the lot car with hardly any millage on it.
            That would be nice too.

Someday ....

Comment

Quoth drunkenwildmage View Post
              My bucket list..

1) Go to a Steelers Football game
              I've lived in Pittsburgh my entire life...and have never been to a Steelers game. The one chance I got to go, I got sick that day

But, let's see now...

1. I'd like to hit up (in no particular order) Ireland, England, Wales, Norway, Australia...to name a few. Oh, throw Alaska and Hawaii in there too

2. Train trip across Canada. Scenery is amazing, from what I understand.

3. Drive the MG coast to coast. Dad did it (well, most of it) in 1980. I'd like to repeat the trip.
              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Let's see some of these are more of "If I won the lottery" kind of thing but some of them are actually realistic.
                1. Go to Los Angeles and do all the cheesy touristy things.
                2. Live someplace warm or at least with a mild winter. Maybe nearish to a beach. So tired of snow and ice.
                3. Go to a Super Bowl.
                4. Go to an Olympics.
                5. Go to England. With the right planning, could've knocked the last two out last year.
                6. Get a new car every few years or not having to need a car ever again. Either would eliminate my car problems.
                7. Hit up every major music festival over the summer.

Guess that's enough for now.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

-- Get a book series published

-- Go Parasailing

-- Go Jet skiing

-- Visit either Australia or Ireland

-- Take a trip to Florida sometime, to go to either the Keys or Sea World.

As for the Australia or Ireland trip, I may be doing that in the next couple of years. I already have a few thousand saved up for it.
                  Last edited by Android Kaeli; 06-08-2013, 02:52 AM.
                  Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Hm, if we got together as a group for some of the bucket stuff we might be able to get a deal through a travel agent.

I noticed that certain things seem popular -

traveling to
                    australia, england, france, germany, 'somewhere warm', japan, parts of the US.

I know that I want to do Australia - if we propose a general departure as a group from LA, and can scrounge up a dozen or more of us we might be able to get a deal on a package tour that includes the airfare for something like Cairnes, which is a beach/swim/dive/foodie vacation spot. That would work for Australia, warm and beach.

[Though I would not be adverse to a bunch getting together and hitting Key West, a wonderful vacation spot. Rob and I thoroughly enjoyed the very short time we were there and really would like to go back for a longer stay. Also would possibly be a group visit to the Orlando/Kissimee area for Universal Studios/Disney World/Busch Gardens/Sea World. We had a blast at Universal Studios doing the Harry Potter area and some generalized shopping.]

If people want to 'go medieval and party like it is 1699' I can arrange camp space at Pennsic for up to about a dozen people with at least rudimentary camping gear. Clothing might be a bit trickier, but not impossible. It is normally 2 weeks, but many people just show up for the second week, or just the first week.

And Rob can play tour guide for the USS Nautilus most Saturdays and Sundays with a little advanced notice.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      Though I would not be adverse to a bunch getting together and hitting Key West, a wonderful vacation spot.
                      Not to mention that the group would have a wonderful tour guide while there....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        Not to mention that the group would have a wonderful tour guide while there....

I don't volunteer people I'm not married to as tour guides

But if you are volunteering ...

But we have to go back to the sushi place for at least one dinner!

I am heartily disappointed they didn't offer Rob the job he interviewed for. *sigh*
                        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

But if you are volunteering ...
                          Of course! All I ever ask is some notice when people are coming down.

But we have to go back to the sushi place for at least one dinner!
                          Great place. Did my birthday dinner there Saturday night with some friends. Delicious!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

I'd go to Key West if I could have Jester as a tour guide.
                            Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Cairns would be awesome, I could nip up for a weekend to say hi.

I want to do a lot of travelling, but other than that, my bucket list includes:

- Visiting Chernobyl.
                              - Cave diving and under-ice diving.
                              - Making it to Base Camp (at least) on Everest.
                              - Swimming with Whale Sharks on Ningaloo.
                              - Visiting the Great Barrier Reef properly.
                              - Various walking holidays.
                              Don't tempt pixies, it never ends well.

Avatar created by the lovely Eisa.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                                I managed to observe the conjunction of Venus, Jupiter and the elusive little bugger Mercury
                                May 26 weekend? Yeah, having them grouped like that made it nice; my wife had never seen Mercury (as such) before.

Comment

Working...
                                X