X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BugsBugsBugsBugsBugs!!

Ewwww ewww ewww ewww ewwwww!!!

This is an icky one, and I apologise.

So my ears are susceptible to ear infections, and I've come to recognise the symptoms. Ache, overproduction of orange, and odd noises like what you get if you've got water in your ear from swimming or showering and you turn that side of your head upwards...

Woke with it this morning, thought oh bugger, here we go again... have learnt the hard way not to use cotton buds, they make things worse. So dabbed stuff off with tissue. Continued to be annoying for about half an hour until I saw Housemate off for work, and gave ear one last poke...

...well, to describe what I found, you'll need to understand that we have a minor infestation of silverfish in my bathroom that attaches to my bedroom...

And now words fail me so I'll let a line of colourful animated faces sum up what I felt then!!

Oh and

The little bastard - dead already thankfully - went down the loo. I had to rub silver scales out for about ten minutes. I've been squirming ever since. >.< Luckily other half was able to give me some cuddles...

Unpleasant, baffling but in hindsight slightly hilarious all at the same time.

How on earth do you get one of those lookie-in-the-ear peekie doobries? How much training do you need to figure out what the hell you're looking at? I think I need one. My poor lugholes!!
    "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

An otoscope? Dead cheap, and while technically not difficult to use it is difficult to interpret what you're seeing. Leave it to the professionals who are used to knowing what they're looking at.
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
      An otoscope? Dead cheap, and while technically not difficult to use it is difficult to interpret what you're seeing. Leave it to the professionals who are used to knowing what they're looking at.
      Most people can learn to spot a bug or earwax with one. I doubt she wants to eliminate doctors entirely.

Having had a bug in my ear before, I can sympathize. Mine was a really tiny beige ladybuglike beetle. <shudder>
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
        How on earth do you get one of those lookie-in-the-ear peekie doobries?
        More difficult: How do you get your eyes on stalks, like a snail, so you can use it?
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Trust me, silverfish are nothing.

I've seen people in the ER with cockroaches in their ears
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
            More difficult: How do you get your eyes on stalks, like a snail, so you can use it?
            Some kind of USB scope, I guess.

Comment

If the otoscopes are cheap, hmm, I might look into it...

Quoth dalesys View Post
              No problem!!

I had to go and get my ears vacuum cleaned last year, which was one of the weirdest things I've ever had to do. Housemate came with me and she got to use a secondary scope to have a look in my ears while the nurse used the hoover. When I asked if I could see, there was much laughter as I realised what I asked... I was amusingly annoyed. I want a look in my ears too!! It was like recently when I got a CT scan and I asked to see it but they no longer had it to hand, or when I get dental X-rays; I really really want to see these pictures of inside my body! (the dental X-ray especially showed just how prominent my chin is too. The bone there looks like a lethal weapon )

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
              Trust me, silverfish are nothing.

Blech blech blech!! At least you can see the damn things. I looked up 'bugs in ears' afterwards to see if there's anything I should be worried about enough to go to the doctors for (our local surgery generally has a four day wait for appointments) and some wag posted a picture of the St. Helena Giant Earwig; unfortunately (thankfully?!) it might be extinct now alas.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                Most people can learn to spot a bug or earwax with one. I doubt she wants to eliminate doctors entirely.

Having had a bug in my ear before, I can sympathize. Mine was a really tiny beige ladybuglike beetle. <shudder>
                I suggest maybe taking note of the "MODERATOR" badge under crazylegs' name, as well as taking into account that it's very easy to misdiagnose when you are not a medical professional.
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                  So my ears are susceptible to ear infections, and I've come to recognise the symptoms. Woke with it this morning, thought oh bugger, here we go again...well, to describe what I found, you'll need to understand that we have a minor infestation of silverfish in my bathroom that attaches to my bedroom...
                  Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                  When you see a person (usually an older man) with a lot of hair in their ears, how can you tell if it's natural or just an earwig? Also, when a song gives you an earworm, how harmful is it?
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    ... of hair in their ears... just an earwig?
                    iswydt.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Also, when a song gives you an earworm, how harmful is it?
                    I thought it was the other way 'round; that the earworms give you the songs. The harm depends on the song they give I suppose. Nothin' wrong with a bit of Zep', but I'm (barely) here to tell you, two days of The Andy Griffith Show theme can drive a man to some extremes.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                      ... the earworms give you the songs. The harm depends on the song they give...
                      I'm the music librarian for a DJ... he likes to close the bar with an earworm... or worse...

Goodnight Sweetheart, Goodnight - The Spaniels ... is the usual, but last Saturday we gave them:

The Lonely Goatherd - The Sound Of Music

Comment

Once I was chatting with a mother of small children. There is a common surgery for children with recurring ear infections, where they put tubes in the eardrums, and her son had had this. When the parents took him to his pre-surgery doctor visit, the doctor looked in his ears and said to the child, "Well Nicholas, you have a bug in your ear." The parents were angry, thinking the doctor was telling him some kind of story. Why do doctors lie to children? But the doctor told them "No, he has a cockroach in his ear."

These were some pretty yuppy parents and they were horrified, but the doctor was nonchalant about it. He said "Oh, we'll just take it out when we put him under."
                        Women can do anything men can.
                        But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
                        Maxine

Comment

I don't think there's going to be any help forthcoming from our landlord to do with our silverfish infestation so we're trying to do it ourselves... as well as sealing up some of the gaps in the tiles and the skirting board, I want to try and find something smelly anti-bug to leave in the corner to encourage them to GTFO, but all the smellies I can find for sale are room scenters. What can I find/make on a budget?

Quoth dalesys View Post

Goodnight Sweetheart, Goodnight - The Spaniels ... is the usual
                          Is that "Gooooood Niiiiiight sweetheart, see you in the moooooooorning" as in the song that became the theme tune to the sitcom of the same name that involved Nicholas Lyndhurst and time travel to WW2?

I love that song.

Comment

Apparently cloves help - if they're popped into nooks and crannies etc
                            A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Nope, this doo-wop one: Goodnight Sweetheart, Goodnight - The Spaniels

Comment

Working...
                              X