This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kitten in the box View Post
    One time they asked me to cover a cw shift for 2 hours. At the end of those 2 hours I left. They asked me to stay longer but I was already heading to my car. I got a replacement day off as well as a speech on 'how I let everyone down and this will NOT happen again.'
    Retail Plantation did this often when I first started, and I volunteered to cover an hour or two because I was naive about how retail worked back then.

I love how management always gets mad at us for working only as long as we were asked to work. They ask us to come in on our day off and work for x hours, and we work x hours to cover their asses. Yet, at the end of that time, they make us the bad guy/girl when we won't give them more. This is why I stopped volunteering to cover shifts back in the day.

Quoth Pixilated View Post
    Isn't it amazing that some bosses don't make the connection between shit treatment like this and the sudden unavailability of the worker whenever they call thereafter ...
    Absolutely this.

When I used to volunteer and I learned management was going to use the time I was supposed to be covering whatever shift to: 1) bitch me out because they didn't know how to schedule (I was the lowest guy on the store totem pole, of which that job has literally zero to do with scheduling in any way whatsoever); and 2) weren't going to give me another day off as a thank you for covering their asses; I suddenly started dropping off the planet on the days off I did get unless I knew the coworkers calling me were also off that day.
    Last edited by Bob The Random Boy Wonder; 05-18-2013, 11:26 PM. Reason: Grammar/syntax

Comment

This would be why I never let the Mart of Hell know I had a cell phone and why I never answered the home phone when I didn't recognize the number as family or friends. I wasn't going to drive 45 minutes on my day off just to give corporate the satisfaction of cutting payroll for hiring new cashiers. I don't "help out," and no, I'm not a "team player" on my days off. You want that, give me a much bigger raise.. say about $5/hr raise.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I have told people (e.g. employers) I've got a cellphone, which is stupid because I've also advised them that said cellphone is NOT "on" 24/7 (in fact it's almost never on, unless I am using it for something) so they're better off to contact me via my home phone anyway.

Comment

Haha, 36 hours notice of mandatory OT?

I'm jealous. We're lucky if we get told on a Friday.

Though I'm a firm believer, if I come in on my day off because I have to, and there's not enough work, I'm leaving. Fire me. Go ahead.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I now remembered why I don't go shopping on my day off unless it's my only day off that week. A CW who I hadn't seen for awhile was back from Sicily(!) and was asking mom about me, so she sent me over to say hi.

ASM drafted me. Which I didn't mind as MOD had just had two callouts and I like her.

Today's shift (plus the fustercluck that was last night--odd story short I was there for 10 hours after only being scheduled for 6) is going to put me over 30 hours so next week my hours are probably going to be cut to 'compensate'. WTF...it's not the employees' fault that whoever coded the scheduling software is a blazing moron. I liked things far better when we had a human making the schedules (or at least checking them).
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I'm glad I never worked anywhere we had mandatory OT. I did work (part time) at a small hospital that was connected to a LTC center (it was the same facility, really, but managed completely differently). We didn't have mandatory OT at the hospital, but the LTC center had it and used it often. They were always trying to get me to work an OT shift there. Did it once, never again because it sucked so badly.

So hospital started cutting my hours due to "low census." I didn't care (I had another part time job).

My view is if a health care facility has to resort to mandatory OT, then there is a serious problem in management.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

We only did because we were 3 people short, with full staffing being 16 line techs. It only lasted until they could hire and train new people but even that took a few months.

Comment

Years ago I was working part time in the kitchen of a local military Academy (kitchen/dining room operations were contracted out to civilian company to "save money". Calling bs on that one because I was making $18/hour to wash dishes as a new hire thanks to an insane union contract...) and got called in to help cover several ns/nc's. The dinner rush was light as it was the weekend and those who were allowed out in town, were. I asked to leave as I was called in special and got denied as they had to send people home in order of seniority. Spent my one day off (between 3 jobs at the time) scrubbing vent hoods and generally not being happy about it. I gave my notice on my next shift and called out "sick"for the rest of what I was scheduled. Between that bs and a massive pile of insane co-irkerwl, the place wasn't worth the money.

Comment

My store learned not to call me in on a day off. I am usually at a friends chilling, or just at home decompressing.

Only time they call me is if they need to change my sched around a bit on the day I work. I'm typically flexible.

Comment

Working...
                    X