Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't say how it will turn out, but I did find a source of information regarding background checks: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/background-checks/

At the same time, however, I wouldn't say "give up now". There's always a chance that the history in question won't affect your employment. If anything that chance may actually be better with a smaller company.
    Last edited by PepperElf; 05-28-2013, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Different companies will have different definitions of "undesirables". What you did may or may not be a concern to them. They may or may not find it in the background check. Even if they do find something, the worst that can happen is they say "Sorry, no thank you".

I look at it from the standpoint of you have nothing to loose and everything to gain.

Remember, you do not have to provide any information that is not asked for. If it is asked, answer honestly.

Good luck!
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I've worked at places where it didn't matter if you had a record, what mattered is you told them and they weren't surprised by it. Don't hide anything because they may only care if you lie about it. As csquared said, the worse they can do is say no.

Most jobs do a background check nowadays, it just depends on the depth of it. My last job was done by the FBI. Before that city, county, state, FBI and DEA background checks were done but that was for the medical field.

Comment

I was on a couple hiring committees when I was teaching at a community college. Like others have said, the nature of the offense and whether or not you disclosed it make a huge difference in whether or not you are hireable. Go to the interview and wow them to the point that they won't care about a minor offense.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I run a small company and background check all applicants after their first interview. It's cheap and you'd be surprised the stuff they find.

That said, if something came up that was not discussed in the first interview, that just means that I didn't feel it important enough to disregard an applicant just for that, so don't worry. May ask a follow up question about it on the second interview.

Comment

IF they ask you about it during the interview process then be honest about it & tell them the basics of it. Don't make the mistake of hiding it or lying about what happened.

Comment

My soon to be former company claims to do a background check when in all reality they are calling it a background check but are really doing a credit check. Has bitten them in the butt several times because people they want to hire think they will pass the background check but know they won't pass the credit check. Then we spend the money and find out that they "fail" because we won't call it what it is.

My suggestion is to go and be honest if they ask. Can't hurt to try.

Comment

If the offense has nothing to do with the job, then it shouldn't hurt your chances of getting the job one bit.

Go to the interview. If they don't bring it up, you don't bring it up. But if they do, be honest.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Good idea and good luck.

Comment

Quoth badgegirl007 View Post
                      Thanks guys. My offense is unlawful acquisition of a controlled substance and possession. UGH. biggest mistake of my life.
                      Hmm. My meds count as controlled substance.
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Put your cards on the table. Make sure the one who makes the recommendation or even the decision knows about this. You are more likely to get rejected because this skeleton in the closet is a surprise than the substance of your offense.
                        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I've hired people in the past who were upfront, during the application/interview process, about their indiscretions. As long as it's not a pattern of continuing behavior, violence, or theft (in jobs where the applicant is responsible for cash and/or merchandise), I can let it slide. Honesty is the key.

I probably relate due to the fact that I, myself, have a few blemishes on my record from 7+ years ago. However, I learned my lesson, so I know that other people can, too.
                          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
                          -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Story time!

My father has a friend who's a mechanical engineer and has worked his entire career for a company that has major military contracts. He'd been wanting a particular promotion for years, but had avoided applying because the security clearance paperwork asked about use of illegal drugs. Now, this man was in High School in Southern California in the early 70's. Pot was everywhere, and just about every teenager used it at some point in their HS times. Dad's friend was no exception. He was so worried about answering that question truthfully that he avoided going for that promotion for most of a decade. He finally got the courage to answer the question and turn in the paperwork. Fast forward to the security clearance interview. Everything is going swimmingly. The interviewer scans the paperwork, get to that question and goes "hmmm." Dad's friend knew he was reading that particular question and replied that he was a kid back then and hasn't touched the stuff since. The interviewer chuckled and said "You were a teenager in SoCal in the 70's. If you'd answered that question "no" I would have thought you were a liar and not approved you because of it." Dad's friend got the promotion and several others after that before he retired a couple years ago.
                            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Yay! Congrats!
                              Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                              Save the Ales!
                              Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                              X