This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paid to deliver!

Okay. I just bought a new ($800.00!!!) full-sized mattress. ("Yes", I say sheepishly--"eight hundred dollars.")

As I'm paying down the $$$ on this thing, I keep asking each week: "Is there any way you could deliver it on one of the 3 days of the week that I'm off? I really can't afford to blow my four-10's, and another $75.00 for the delivery!" (Let me stick in another note: I live in the middle of the desert. Wild horses still roam the 2-lane highway and eat breakfast in my front/back yards. The closest grocery store is ~22 miles one-way. The $75.00 delivery fee is NOT unusual for us backwater types.)

Each week, I'm told by my ever-intrepid salesbody: "Nope."

This past Friday, I went in for the last payment, and once again to plead/whine my case. There's a different guy there!

I start again, "I find it hard to believe that I'm paying $800.00 for a full-size matress, and you folks--even charging another $75 to deliver--can't bring it to me on my schedule!"

The gentleman listened politely, then reached into his coat pocket and handed me his business card. "Manager"

"When would you like this delivered?"
    "Any Friday p.m., or Saturday/Sunday is fine, because those are the days I have off."
    "Would tomorrow [Saturday] afternoon be okay?"
    "How much is the special delivery charge?"
    "Is tomorrow around 2:00pm good? What about 3:00?"
    (I'm not going to question my luck--he's not saying anything about additional charges!)
    "Um, yes--tomorrow around 2 is great!" I left before I blew it!

Saturday, 13:50
    "Is this BuhMule?"
    "Yes."
    "I'm right around the corner, will be there in about 5-10 minutes."

Short: He (Mr. Manager himself--in his own vehicle!) delivered, refused my check, shook my hand and apologised for "all my trouble"

Long: He saw a 35-quart deep fryer still unopened on my porch. "Is that for sale?" When I said, "Yes--make an offer. I won it in a raffle.", he reached into his wallet and pulled out $50.00! Then he shook my hand, carried away this huge box that's been gathering dust, and apologised for everything I'd been through!

What a nice guy! If only I were 20 years younger!

-BuhMule
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to
    test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
    -BuhMule
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to
    test a man's character, give him power.
    Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)
Working...
X