This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth mattm04 View Post
    I wish we could put the register is a special mode where it would only allow up to the number of items, plus one or two. If a lane becomes express, less than 10, the resister would only scan say 12 items and then force payment on those items. No manager could override it when in that mode.
    I mentioned lying about this to customers to a cashier next to me the other day and he informed me that he does exactly that.
    He tells people the register won't let him scan more than eight items and that if they want to stay in his line they'll have to do separate transactions.
    Naturally the customers get pissed off, but from what he told me they almost always make mention that they'll pay more attention next time.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      I had to spend 13 weeks taking a grammar class for my college journalism course (thanks to those students in previous years who lacked basic grammar skills) and never was such a thing mentioned.
      I think that's more of an out-dated rule that takes wording far too literally.
      Each individual item, regardless as to whether or not it is a quantity, counts as a singular item.

Also, I'm a chick not a dude. But then again there's no way to have known that.
      Actually, in my grammar 100 course, they covered that exact thing (the difference between less and fewer). You can have less cash, or fewer dollars, but not fewer cash, or less dollars.

As an aside, I quite often refer to female friends as "dude." Usually in a "dude, over here" capacity, granted, but still.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
        As an aside, I quite often refer to female friends as "dude." Usually in a "dude, over here" capacity, granted, but still.
        The word "dude" as a whole rubs me the wrong way. It just so... beach-bum surfer. haha

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
          The word "dude" as a whole rubs me the wrong way. It just so... beach-bum surfer. haha
          *snicker*

Dude, as referring to people, was originally an insult. Dude ranches, for example, were places where people went to play cowboy. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I once read that a "dude" was what they called a pimple on a cow's ass. Of course, it's quite likely apocryphal.

^-.-^
          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
            Fair enough. Though I'm fairly certain it's too deeply ingrained in my vocabulary to ever be expunged. Blame the Saturday morning Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
              Fair enough. Though I'm fairly certain it's too deeply ingrained in my vocabulary to ever be expunged. Blame the Saturday morning Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
              That and a friend of mine uses it all the time, so it's really caught on in my vocabulary. Most of the time I don't even realize that I use it (as in the case here).
              Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Quoth GolfCart34 View Post
                That and a friend of mine uses it all the time, so it's really caught on in my vocabulary. Most of the time I don't even realize that I use it (as in the case here).
                I do that with certain words. Most of which are absolutely ridiculous and of a language that is more colourful than the CS board seems to approve of.

Comment

Quoth powerboy View Post
                  I was going to make a post about this same thing. Last night, I went to walmart. I had only 2 items, and I went into the self check out line. A woman got turned away for having a cart full(it was 20 items or less). A few seconds later, another woman got into line. I was being nice, and I told her, it is only 20 or less. She went off on me. She started to call her husband to come up to the front right then. He came up and looked right at me, and said he was sorry about that. He told her to read and understand the sign from now on, and they left that line.

And all I did was trying to be nice, and let her know.
                  GAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!! This one time at Wal-Mart....(I shop there ALL the time because of cost and the fact that I can do a one-stop shopping kind of thing - so all my Wal-Mart stories can begin "this one time at Wal-Mart...")

Just recently I was there doing my shopping and had a cart load of stuff. I knew that I could not go into the self-check out line because I had a CART LOAD of stuff. I walked by said line and lo and behold, there was a woman with an OVERFLOWING cart load of stuff checking herself out! I was so tempted - SO TEMPTED - to ask her if she could read. The thing that got me the most was that she had two children with her. What does this teach them? That I'm so self-absorbed and self-centered that I can't follow a simple request?
                  "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                    SC: I KNOW it's an express lane. I can read, thank you. That's why we did two separate bills; so we would be below 18 items.

Well, you did point out how she does not know the number 8 from 18, but you also did not mention her shitty smugness. It really burns me when an asshat like this makes sure you know that they break their orders up so they can get around the express lane rules.

Comment

We often do our shopping late, after closing. And one thing that irritates me about our local Safeway is at that time of night, often the only register open is the 15 items or less register. She'll wave us in and as we're unloading, sure enough we'll end up with 3 or 4 people behind us all with a handful of items. To make it worse, another regular register will open up after we've unloaded.

"You'd feel a Hell of a lot better if you'd just rip into the occasional customer."
                      ~Clerks

Comment

Quoth SuperB View Post
                        We often do our shopping late, after closing. And one thing that irritates me about our local Safeway is at that time of night, often the only register open is the 15 items or less register. She'll wave us in and as we're unloading, sure enough we'll end up with 3 or 4 people behind us all with a handful of items. To make it worse, another regular register will open up after we've unloaded.
                        I used to have that issue at Winn Dixie when I stopped there late at night. They advertised how they were open 24/7, yet it was always the express line that was open with ten people in line, carts filled to the brim and overflowing. I couldn't even get a loaf of bread or a package of cheese because of that.
                        Last edited by greensinestro; 10-03-2007, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                          *nodsAnd, yes, the grammar on those signs has irked me.
                          My pet hate is "vehicle continuously stopping". It's not true! Sometimes it comes to a complete stop, sometimes it speeds up.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post
                            My pet hate is "vehicle continuously stopping". It's not true! Sometimes it comes to a complete stop, sometimes it speeds up.
                            I'm glad to say I've never seen that on a vehicle. The ones I've seen all say, "Vehicle makes frequent stops."

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                              so all my Wal-Mart stories can begin "this one time at Wal-Mart...")
                              "And this one time at band camp...." Sorry, but that's the way it sounds in my trashy, dirty, little mind!
                              It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X