This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, Wrong Bank.

So I got a very interesting call during my short shift today.

ME: Yours truly, of course.
    DL: Dumb lady who calls on the phone.

ME: Thank you for calling xyz bank, this is golfcart34, how can I help you?
    DL: Hi, I'm just calling because I want to find out my daughters account balance. He account is really with Bank of America and I can't seem to get their number. I was wondering if you could help me with finding out her balance and everything.

For the record, and I'm sure that BOA has a similar policy, we do not give out client information unless they are a signer on the account and they can properly identify themselves as being that person. We don't just give out customer information randomly, especially since that's prohibited by federal law and bank policy. Secondly, why in the world are you calling a competitor's bank to find out the balance for an account held somewhere else?

ME: I'm sorry ma'am, but we can only look up information for customers of our bank and you have to be an authorized signer on that person's account to get information.
    DL: Ok, well, do you know the phone number for Bank of America so I can call them up and find out her balance? I tried calling 411 and they gave me an 800 number. I also tried looking in the phone book and they listed the same number.

Now, my aunt had to deal with BOA when a relative died, so I know that the only way you can call a local branch at BOA is through their automated 800 number. My aunt had to do that when she first called since we tried everything to locate the number and were unsuccessful. At least my aunt was smart and asked them for the local number at the branch when she spoke with customer service there and they were more than happy to provide the number, especially since they knew her at this particular branch. Personally, I never understood this practice since it takes away from personal service at the bank. I know some people, especially the old people, want to talk with tellers at the branch they frequent, since that's the branch they know and trust, not some random 800 number that might be hard to use for them.

Not only that, but if our branch in general wants to call the local BOA office, we have to call the 800 number just like everybody else. I'm sure the proof department has the local number, but have fun trying to call them most of the time.

ME: Unfortunately, ma'am, the only way to get a hold of your local branch is to call the 800 number and have them patch you through. That's what my aunt had to do when she called our local branch to get some information when a relative died. You can always ask the branch for their local number when the 800 number patches you through so you don't have to call the 800 number the next time you need to speak with them. That's what my aunt did and they had no problem giving it to you at that point.
    DL: I don't understand why you can't just give me my daughter's information because I really don't like calling 800 numbers.
    ME: I understand that, but I can't change the way BOA lists their phone numbers.
    DL: Well, I guess I'll just have to deal with the 800 number then.

At this point she hangs up and she never did end up calling back. She never really was rude per say during the whole conversation, just persistent and dumb as all hell. I just don't understand why you have to explain the same information a million times to certain people. I told the head teller about this and she had no clue about what the local number for BOA is and she agreed that the woman really needed to either call the 800 number or go to the branch in person.

We really do go out of our way to help our customers (and even non customers) because that's how our branch has such a good reputation. There are those times, however, when you just can't do a thing for them.
    Last edited by GolfCart34; 10-02-2007, 11:00 PM.
    Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

You were far more helpful than I would have been. Its too bad she was too dumb to be more appreciative of that.

We get phone calls all the time from people looking for a particular wine. If we don't have it, the number of people that then ask us for our competitor's phone number is astounding!

I always say, "We don't have it. We are not the same company. We have nothing to do with them." Sometimes they get mad and insist that we look it up for them. Excuse me? Look it up yourself. You have made it clear that you will not be a customer here. We are finished now. Why would my company pay me for the time it takes to look up a phone number that will only benefit our direct competitor?

As far as I'm concerned, the odds of us having a phone number for an unrelated store is the same as some random person on the street having it. Why don't you stick your head out the window and yell at them?

If you have to ask, it's probably better posted at www.fratching.com

Comment

I had something similar happen a long time ago. When I was working at the Novelty Store at the Run Down Mall, some woman called my store and asked what movies were playing at the Mall Cinema.

Me: "I'm sorry ma'am, this is the Novelty Store, I don't know what's playing at the Cinema."
      Her (very sarcastically): "Well, why don't you go over there and look? Good idea, huh?!"
      What I did say: "I'm sorry ma'am, I'm not permitted to leave the store."

What I really wanted to say: "Okay, genius, you want to wait on the phone for about twenty minutes while I walk to the Cinema at the other end of the mall, write down the movies, and then walk back to this store? Or, how about you use the same phone book you looked up our number to look up the Cinema's phone number and call them? Even better idea, huh?!"

I just don't comprehend how the minds of some people work. And I'm not sure I want to; I'm afraid my own head would implode if I tried to figure them out.
      I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
      My LiveJournal
      A page we can all agree with!

Comment

We get calls every once in awhile for another business. I have been asked the phone number for Pizza Hut, Walmart, another Subway store in a different state. I have also gotten calls that have asked me what the name of the jewlery store next to us is and the hours of operation for the Verizon store clear across the square from us.

Comment

When I used to work at Pizza Hut we got calls all the time for Mr. Gattis. I didnt know it at the time, but Gattis number had the same last 4 digits as ours, which is where the confusion came in. But then people would ask me what the number for Gattis was. Then they would get mad when I would tell them I dont know it."Well why not?" "Because I'm not trying to call them, you are!"

Comment

We get that kind of thing here. We are on site at the client's offices and most bank staff come up to us and ask us questions.

There are only 3 companies in the country who provide our insurance service. And the bank used to deal with company X before we came along, so they have still have a lot of policies current with company X.

You would not believe how many times we have to tell staff members, "that's nothing to do with us, it's company X's policy. You'll have to talk to them". But they don't get and keep telling us their problem, even though it's nothing to do with us.

I always say, "that's a company X policy. Our policy numbers start with a 7".

I had to tell one woman, 3 different times in 3 different ways that it wasn't our policy. I even did a name search on our system while she was standing there to show her that that particular customer never had policy with us.

Sheesh. Don't people understand that many companies can provide the same services and yet be separate entitites?
            Total surrender
            Your touch is so tender
            Your skin is like water on a burning beach
            And it brings me relief
            "Nails in My Feet" - Crowded House

Comment

My dad occasionally gets calls intended to go to the local movie theatre in his town. His phone number ends in 3222, whereas the movie theatre is 2222. Both numbers, of course, have the same prefix. I don't think he's gotten any nasty phone calls about it... well, yet anyway.
              Suddenly, Vermont became the epicenter of the dystopia.

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                I had something similar happen a long time ago. When I was working at the Novelty Store at the Run Down Mall, some woman called my store and asked what movies were playing at the Mall Cinema.

Me: "I'm sorry ma'am, this is the Novelty Store, I don't know what's playing at the Cinema."
                Her (very sarcastically): "Well, why don't you go over there and look? Good idea, huh?!"
                Holy bat shit! You're kidding me! OOOOO - that chapped my ass and I only read about it - imagine if I actually heard it!
                "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

lol omg i had a great one not to long ago
                  A guy called a make up company.
                  Ignored my intro.
                  Tells me his name.
                  I ask what made him call into *Make up* today.
                  "Oh this isnt Comcast?"
                  "No sir this is *Make up*"
                  "Oh well huh i have this number -rambles on i tune him out- hey can i get the number for comcast from you"
                  "No"
                  "Well that was aburpt. You can't look up for me. I mean you work for the same company"
                  "No sir I can't. And my company has nothing to do with Comcast. We are *Make Up* we sell make-up. We don't deal with the phone company"
                  "OH..." <click>

Comment

Our local phone book lists the individual numbers for every dept in our store, including Customer Service/Info. Yet nearly everyday (in the clothing dept) I get outside calls for Electronics, the Pharmacy, Housewares, Health & Beauty and even the service desk/customer info.

We have 3 phones in the Fashions dept (clothing, jewelry, shoes) and while co-workers are on breaks/lunches I have all three phones. There are days when they ring non-stop and it drives me up a wall. Besides dealing with SCs, (and the jewelry counter) the never-ending phone calls are the worst part of my job.
                    Retail Haiku:
                    Depression sets in.
                    The hellhole is calling me ~
                    I don't want to go.

Comment

The bank I deal with is a small community-type bank with maybe 15-20 branches. They list 1 main number on all their ads and papers. I once asked the teller why they did that and she said that people would call 411 ask for the number fro <bank name> and call it. The tell said that 99.999 percent of the time they would need to transfer the call or give them the correct number.

Comment

This has reminded me of several stories I'd forgotten. I went rummaging through my old notebooks to see if I still had this one. We're in luck.

I used to work in a call center, usually taking orders from random TV crap. Once, we ran a CD collection from some famous Christian artist. Those calls were interesting. Many of them would place their order and then try preaching at me until I told them they were wasting their breath as I already share many of their beliefs. But the funny one was some lady who already had the CD collection.

(Much of this is a reconstruction. My notes were only enough for me to share the stories with my roommates when I got home. But I like to think I have a pretty good memory, so this is close to what the original conversation might have sounded like.)

Me: (Intro)
                        Caller: Hi, um, I don't need to place an order, but I need some help. Can you help me?
                        Me: I can try.
                        Caller: Okay. Well, I need to talk to Famous Christian Artist.
                        Me: I don't think I can help with that.
                        Caller: Do you have his phone number? Can you give me his number?
                        Me: No, I don't.
                        Caller: But you work for him! Shouldn't you have his number in case you need to talk to him?
                        Me: Actually, I don't work for him. I work for a call center that sells CDs on behalf of the company that markets Famous Christian Artist's music. I've never even met the guy.
                        Caller: But I really need to talk to him. Can't you get his number?
                        Me: No, I've not been provided with that information.
                        Caller: But I REALLY need to TALK to him! See, he did a concert in our town, and I went to it and lost an earring there, and I was hoping he might have found it, so I was going to call him and ask. And I told my pastor that I was going to call Famous Christian Artist, and the pastor said I should ask if he could come and do a special concert for our church, and I said I'd ask, and then my daughter volunteered to interview him for the church newsletter! (That part is almost verbatim.)
                        Me: I'm sorry, there's nothing I can do to help you with that.
                        Caller: Are you SURE you don't have his number?
                        Me: I'm sure. You might try calling the record company and asking if they have some contact information for Famous Christian Artist's agent.
                        Caller: Do you have THEIR number?
                        Me: No, I don't.
                        Caller: ... but ... why?
                        Me: All they pay me to do is take orders for the CDs.
                        Caller: But I already have the CDs.
                        Me: Then I'm afraid I can't do anything to help you further.
                        Caller: *click*

(Sorry; that was kind of a threadjack. I still find it amusing.)
                        I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
                        - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
                        - IPF

Comment

Quoth HawaiianShirts View Post
                          Caller: But I REALLY need to TALK to him! See, he did a concert in our town, and I went to it and lost an earring there, and I was hoping he might have found it, so I was going to call him and ask.
                          Wait... she lost an earring at a concert and she thinks the artist would be the one to contact about if it was found? I suspect that would be the dead last person in the entire building who would likely have found said earring. Heck, you start by calling the venue and seeing if they have a lost and found.

^-.-^
                          Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Actually, if you know the zip code or street address you can get phone numbers for any BofA branch on their website.

I have to do this all the time to call branches on the east coast.

http://bankofamerica.via.infonow.net...tLoadAction.do
                            Because as we all know, on the Internet all men are men, all women are men and all children are FBI agents.

Comment

Posted a fair number of places by now, I got a call one night at Chesterfield, just about five minutes before we closed, asking if I could transfer her call to the Ms. Field's cookie shop.
                              "Uh, no."
                              Did I know when they close?
                              "I imagine in the next five minutes, just like the rest of the mall."
                              Well, what's their phone number?
                              "No idea, ma'am, they're not only not on this wing, they're not on this level. I can get you the mall info phone number, though, and they can direct you to the cookies." *I get number from Old SM, and relay it to caller*
                              "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Working...
                              X