• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.2 SDD not showing up

Mobo: ASUS Z-97A

SSD:

Kingston A400 240G SATA M.2 2280 Internal SSD - SA400M8/240G

The issue I'm having is that the M.2 drive simply isn't showing up at all in the BIOS, in Windows, or wherever. The only conflicts it could have, acording to the board manual, are : "*1: The PCIe x1_1/2 slots share bandwidth with M.2 Socket 3." (the slots in question are the one just to the left of the SSD in the image below) -- I went into the BIOS to set this to M.2 mode, and no appreciable difference. I do not use those slots at all (the little bitty PCI slots). It seems to be installed correctly (see image, click to expand). Can anyone help?

So far, I've tried disconnecting my DVD and BR burners, disconnecting ALL other drives save for the boot drive...aaaand nothing.

Last edited by EricKei; 05-22-2019, 11:11 PM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

I a bit of bad news for you. You have a SATA M.2 drive and the Z-97A only works with a PCIe M.2 drive. Both drive use the same slot, but not all motherboards can use both types of drives.

I had the same problem with a computer I built not long ago. I wasn't able to find any way to get it to work.

Comment

There are pci-e to m.2 sata cards out there.

If you can't get a change for the sata card that might be an option.
      Native German, so my writing might be a bit ... special. I try my best to get better

Comment

Mkay -- Thanks, Arcus, yours is the only explanation for WHY it doesn't work I've seen. ASUS was only able to say "It's not on the (4 year old) QVL list" -- Oddly, the A400 2.5 inch drive IS on their list.

Fortunately, 'zon is letting me return it for store credit.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

In the case of the 2.5" drive, it would plug into the SATA plugs. That's why it would work. It's an issue of the M.2 system. I really wish the SATA M.2 and the PCIe M.2 had different lock slots so you wouldn't be able to plug in one that doesn't work. It would be soo much easier to figure out what is going on.

I'm glad that my week long fight into it when this happened to me could help you too. Now if only the manufactures could be a little more open about it when we ask.

Comment

Some M.2 drives are set up to prevent that (there are at least 3 different "key" setups I know of (the little notch along the connector area, much like how different DRAM types are keyed), but apparently not this one -- they care more about length.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              ... they care more about length.
              That's what she said!
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

That's what she said!

I can almost hear the now

Comment

Working...
                X