Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The burger places I go locally are BK and 5G; both show menu customizations to the customer as part of ringing up the burger.

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
      I'd be sorely tempted to ask for a manager and discuss the Allergy situation - not that I'd lie and say I was allergic, but point out that if someone has specifically asked not to have something then there's usually a damn good reason for that, and if something's not meant to be added then don't add it without checking it's alright. Sure, maybe someone thinks they're doing customers a favour or putting one over on The Man by giving out free cheese instead of charging for it, but there's every chance they could end up costing the company way more than the couple of bucks upcharge...
      I have a friend who is deathly allergic to certain foods. To the point where she can’t be in the same room as them, carries not one not two but three epi pens, and if you have contact with nuts or have been somewhere that handles nuts you have to shower and sanatize before seeing her. Nuts are the worst offenders but she had other allergies not as bad.

Could you imagine if someone was allergic to something badly and didnt check their food for whatever reason? I’ve been with my friend when she’s had an allergic reaction to something. I also am trained and know what to do in an emergency. (In her case she shook hands a new person who does her grocery shopping for her who ignored the sign and they had used a moisturizer that contained nuts in it. Probably some idiot who believed you couldn’t be *that* allergic to something. Seriously though, if someone needs to be shopped for because a grocery store will set her off every time. Probably a good idea not to take a chance.)

What if you or someone you were buying for *had* an allergy to dairy products or cheese in particular?
      Don’t worry about what I’m up to. Worry about why you are worried about what I’m up to.

Comment

Quoth AkaiKitsune View Post
        (In her case she shook hands a new person who does her grocery shopping for her who ignored the sign and they had used a moisturizer that contained nuts in it. Probably some idiot who believed you couldn’t be *that* allergic to something. Seriously though, if someone needs to be shopped for because a grocery store will set her off every time. Probably a good idea not to take a chance.)
        Your poor friend. I thought my allergies were bad but they are just sucky and annoying compared to hers. It makes me grateful that mine just result in hives-like rash (lotions, make up, etc), really upset digestive system (foods, additives, preservatives, etc) or migraines (scents, chemicals, foods, etc).

So far no need for epi-pens. I just have a super power of being able to puke on demand with the help of salty water or really strong cordial (gets the allergen that I just ate or drank out fast and cuts down how much gets absorbed). And I'm really good at the super fast escape from perfumes/chemicals that trigger migraines. Only took annoying aunty 20 years to stop wearing a particular perfume around me. Stupid bitch suffers from migraines too, but never believed that mine were set off from her stinky red door shite.
        A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

An acquaintance of mine is allergic to, of all things, honey. As a joke, one day, she held her arm out above someone's glass of tea with honey in it, just for a second or two. "Hah, I'm so allergic this will probably produce a reaction!"

A few minutes later, she had hives and big red welts on that arm.

That is some serious no-s**t allergy there!!!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Blue Ginger View Post
            Your poor friend. I thought my allergies were bad but they are just sucky and annoying compared to hers. It makes me grateful that mine just result in hives-like rash (lotions, make up, etc), really upset digestive system (foods, additives, preservatives, etc) or migraines (scents, chemicals, foods, etc).

So far no need for epi-pens. I just have a super power of being able to puke on demand with the help of salty water or really strong cordial (gets the allergen that I just ate or drank out fast and cuts down how much gets absorbed). And I'm really good at the super fast escape from perfumes/chemicals that trigger migraines. Only took annoying aunty 20 years to stop wearing a particular perfume around me. Stupid bitch suffers from migraines too, but never believed that mine were set off from her stinky red door shite.
            Hah! Mom loved Elizabeth Arden too! Bleargh....

Comment

The honey allergy might be a cross-reaction to a bee allergy of some sort (likely propolis/pollen).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I have some interesting allergic reactions to odd things, but my epi-pen allergy is bee stings. Due to my love of gardening, I have learned to co-exist with bees and haven't been stung in over 20 years. I consider myself lucky. (And careful. I watch where I am putting my hands and feet, I don't wear scents or bright colors and above all, I don't flail around when a bee flies close to me.)

A young lady I work with is epi-pen allergic to marijuana in all its forms. This is very, VERY limiting for her. She can't go to a lot of normal parties, because people tend to smoke at parties. Ditto concerts. She has to plan her drives to avoid driving past commercial medical marijuana farms. She once had an allergy attack sitting in a traffic jam with her car windows open.

I have a lot of sympathy for people with allergies and not just because a careless movement in my own garden could kill me.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  An acquaintance of mine is allergic to, of all things, honey. As a joke, one day, she held her arm out above someone's glass of tea with honey in it, just for a second or two. "Hah, I'm so allergic this will probably produce a reaction!"

A few minutes later, she had hives and big red welts on that arm.

That is some serious no-s**t allergy there!!!
                  No argument, but that still sounds like a psychosomatic response based on her (bone-deep) knowledge of her allergy. Which is not to dismiss it -- psychosomatic effects can be quite dangerous and even lethal.

Comment

Working...
                  X