This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work advice needed

In December, I received an email from a student, whom I shall refer to as Student.

Student is studying film here. She's from halfway around the world. She wanted to know if (having found my info on a website) I would be available to perform some pre-production work on her upcoming student film. I said I was interested, and we arranged to meet.

When we met, I was impressed by her language skills and her plan for her film. She told me what her total budget was, and asked me how much I would charge for my work. I told her that we could discuss that at a later date, when she knew how much everything else would cost. I also told her that I could help with a couple of other aspects of pre-production, in addition to the work she had asked me to do.

We met only three days before Christmas. I waited until after New Year's Day to start working, since I knew nobody would be available during that time, and my emails would get lost in the shuffle. I emailed Student frequently to let her know how work was progressing.

Then, last week, Student let me know that the work she wanted me to do was no longer needed. It seems her school did it for her.

I emailed her back to ask if she wanted me to do any further work. She said no.

I asked her in my next email what sort of payment she had imagined for the effort I had already put into it - not only the work she had contacted me about in the first place, but the other pre-production work.

She told me that we had agreed that I would only be paid if she chose to go with my work - and since her school had done that part, there was no need for her to pay me.

I am steamed about this. I sent her an email to tell her that we had no such agreement. I reminded her of what I had said - that I didn't want to overcharge her, and that I was content to wait until I discovered what her other production charges were before stating a price. I also told her that if she didn't want/need me to do the work, it was her job to tell me when she knew it, and not keep my hanging on (and working).

If this is what she's doing so early in her career, I don't see much of a career ahead of her. Usually, those in the entertainment industry wait until they're established before they start ripping off the people who do work for them.

What I'm wondering is, should I contact her school and let them know about her behavior? I don't have any proof of our agreement, which was verbal, but I do have all the emails she sent to me, and I to her. I know she won't pay me anything, but at least I can make the school aware that she's engaging in this sort of underhanded behavior. I know that schools don't grade on ethics, but I'd like to think that they would want to know what she's done, and that they would tell her and the other students how not to behave when they're working.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Eireann; 01-27-2019, 04:08 PM.

Do it. If only for your own peace of mind.
    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

You're clearly not going to want to work with her in the future, so I vote you torch that bridge. Do it.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Go ahead. They should be made aware of her "ethics" in this situation (such as they are).
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I did it.

I told them about Student contacting me and asking me to do the work. I told them about her "poor me" speech about saving up for this film. And, yes, I told them that I agreed to hold off on deciding on payment until I learned how much everything else cost her.

I received an email within 15 minutes. The person who answered was very apologetic, while pointing out the obvious fact that it's best to agree on a price beforehand. I realize this, of course. I let them know that Student (whose name I didn't mention, or even her gender) was playing the role of a poor student. It's clear to me now that she was trying to guilt me into a lower price for my services.

The person at the school also told me that the administration and the teachers underline the importance of paying everyone on your projects, which I hope to be true. I've never heard anything untoward about this school's practices.

I replied to the email to ask if the school would announce to all of the students that a complaint had been made about one of them not paying someone who has done work for said student. I said that if Student should decide to relocate here, I would feel it necessary to warn potential cast and crew members of my experience with her. I don't want anyone else getting stiffed.

"Poor student" came here from halfway around the world and has lived here for a year and a half. Poor, my ass. She's got to have a lot stashed away.

Comment

I'm hoping she was properly horrified if/when that announcement was made, as she would surely understand what was behind it.
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Just chiming in here -- yeah, her stiffing you was sleazy, but you totally led with your chin.

The first rule of freelancing: Never do the work before you've got a contract. And telling someone they only have to pay if they decide they want to? Nope, nope, nope.

Comment

No, no, I never said she could pay me only if she wanted to do so. She pulled that claim right out of her ass. What I said was, once she knew what it would cost for the more expensive parts of the production, we could sit down and agree on a price.

She's the one who decided that this meant she would pay me only if she used my services in that respect. This, after she showed a complete lack of organizational skills by not answering my emails in good time, not keeping me updated at all on what she was doing, and so forth.

I have no idea if the school has made a general announcement. I hope they have - and I hope that she heard it and is currently sweating at the thought that this might cost her a higher grade. After all, if they made an announcement, she won't know that I didn't reveal her identity to the school. She can only find out if she asks the administration, and by doing so, she would out herself.

Comment

You did right by telling the school. They need to correct such behaviors. They can bring their school into disrepute.
                  Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Working...
                  X