Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going under the knife next Tuesday. The doc I'm using can't put me under (DDS in provate practice, not an oral surgeon in a hospital), so I'm gonna ask him for whatever the next best thing is, as I am a total wuss when it comes to having whirring blades anywhere near my mouth. Will be for an abcess tooth.

Wish me luck, and any good thoughts, well wishes, prayers, gris-gris, etc, will be most welcomed.

(details below, possibly gross, highlight to see

Missing a good chunk of the visible part of a bottom-left tooth. The roots are curved towards the back. Only way to extract it is to slice it in half between the roots and pull each part on its own. Fun, fun x.x Says to allow at least 90 minutes for the procedure.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Talk to a pharmacist. He may be able to suggest an anti-anxiety drug or a painkiller appropriate to the situation. He'll also tell you whether the he, the dentist, or your family doctor can provide it.
      So go to the pharmacist in time to drop by your family doctor and get a script, in case whatever the pharmacist recommends needs one. (You might want to ask the pharmacist to write a short note explaining why he thinks you would benefit from Drug X.)

BTW: my family doctor is back! And she has twin girls.
      Last edited by Seshat; 05-20-2014, 09:26 AM.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Thanks but I was referring to whatever they give me during the actual procedure. I'm already pretty set for painkillers for the before & after part. ^_^
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          ... I was referring to whatever they give me during the actual procedure...
          Ask them to UBH. (Use Biggest Hammer)
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

little late to the party here, but can your dentist use I.V sedation? That's the route I went when I had major dental work done & lemme tell you, it's wonderful..I'd never have a major dental procedure without it

good luck!
            "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

Dunno. First dentist since moving to this town (I also know him from elsewhere). He says he can't truly sedate me/put me under - not a hospital and not an "Oral Surgeon", he's a DDS. I have asked him to get whatever he is allowed to use on me that stops short of that, though I advised him thusly: "When it comes to stuff like this, I'm a total wuss."

Also, an Oral Surgeon, who could knock me out for this, would likely be at least a thousand bucks more, and I'll have issues affording my friend's services as it is (getting help from family), even though he's basically doing it at cost for me.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Thanks but I was referring to whatever they give me during the actual procedure. I'm already pretty set for painkillers for the before & after part. ^_^
                Yeah, a regular dentist can't give you IV sedation. You'd have to go to an oral surgeon for IV sedation.

However, pre-medicating with an anxiety drug is not a bad idea. Many dentists do this for their anxious patients for things even like routine teeth cleanings. You should talk to your dentist about that. However, you'll need to get a ride to and from the dentists office if you go that route. You'll have to take the med about an hour before the procedure for it to do you any good.

He should also numb you up really well, so you shouldn't feel any pain during the procedure itself.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

The last time I had any surgery-esque stuff done was 30 years ago, getting eight eye teeth removed in preparation for getting braces as a kid. That's how I found out that laughing gas has almost no effect on me (all it did was make my hands and feet feel numb) -- either that, or he underestimated the dose needed. Didn't stop the dentist, tho x.x

I will talk to them about pre-medicating. Getting a ride won't be a problem.

Comment

All done. Took longer to dope me up (orajel at home followed by their similar-but-more-potent gel, then shots of what I can only assume were Novacaine) than to do the extraction, which went smoothly. Maybe 15 minutes actually fiddling around inside my mouth. Still can't have "solid" food for a day or so, just to be safe

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                      All done. Took longer to dope me up (orajel at home followed by their similar-but-more-potent gel, then shots of what I can only assume were Novacaine) than to do the extraction, which went smoothly. Maybe 15 minutes actually fiddling around inside my mouth. Still can't have "solid" food for a day or so, just to be safe
                      Yay!
                      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

My dad had 6 teeth removed at once. We gave him baby food as a joke and he ate it! He was starving. Glad everything went well.
                        ''Sugar cane and coffee cups, copper, steel, and cattle. An annotated history the forest for the fire. Where we propagate confusion primitive and wild. Welcome to the occupation''

Comment

The last time I had major dental work was at age nine - in preparation for braces, they took out 6 or 8 eye teeth (aka wisdom teeth). They gave me Laughing Gas/Nitrous and...I think maybe some novacaine at the time. That's how I found out that laughing gas doesn't do much at all to me. it made my hands and feet numb, that was it. I recall that I could feel pain, but that it didn't slow them down. Sucked.

As for current: I'm near the end of the "rinse with salt water a few times a day" phase and no longer having to pop advils like they were tic-tacs ^_^

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            The last time I had major dental work was at age nine - in preparation for braces, they took out 6 or 8 eye teeth (aka wisdom teeth).
                            IANADDS, but IIRC the "eye teeth" are somewhere between the incisors and molars (possibly the bicuspids?), while the wisdom teeth are the rearmost molars (normally come in late teens/early twenties) - they are not the same thing.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Looked it up. Guess the dentist used the wrong term x.x

Eye teeth are the canines/sharp pointy teeth. The ones taken out (8 teeth total, 2 from each "set") back then were of the molar variety (visible section looks like a bumpy cube). Possibly Premolars, then, as the space has since filled in. The one from last week was the third from the back, so another molar-type.

Comment

Working...
                              X