Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I just vent about people thinking they know what's wrong with me?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I just vent about people thinking they know what's wrong with me?

So, as some of you know, I was rear-ended 3 weeks ago and diagnosed with my 4th brain injury. So it seemed to take a bit, but now I'm experiencing post-concussive syndrome. On top of that, the day before yesterday my spine decided to shift and I had a pinched nerve that gave me agonizing pain, like on-the-floor-literally-crying pain, for 8 hours. It finally broke once I figured out which meds to get in me.

So anyway, I went to work last night cashiering, and the dizziness came back. I was also feeling funny in my stomach due to one of the pills and also because when that particular nerve gets trapped, it affects my stomach and for the next 24 hours or so it feels weird, kind of like how your stomach will still feel irritated even after your stomach flu is over. I've been through head injuries and this particular spine issue many times; I know my body and why I'm not feeling well.

My boss asked me what was wrong and I told her, and her response was, "Or maybe you're getting that flu that's going around." Uh, no. I'm dizzy because I have a brain injury and work is making it worse. So all night I was trying to ignore the symptoms and all I heard all night was credit card sign-ups. In fact, even though the store manager told her not to, she pushed my last customer to do it, the customer who didn't even come to the till until 5 minutes after closing. I just wanted to go home; I can barely handle 6 hours, and tonight I have to do 8.5. Ugh. By the way, I left 24 minutes after.

So I guess my main complaint is that people discount what I'm saying about my own body, or just don't care. Now, I can't control the above two med issues, not really. I can deal with them. I can control this one: pre-diabetes. And I am. I'm losing weight rapidly and my blood sugar is in a normal range because I immediately took the bull by the horns and stopped eating what I know I shouldn't eat. I'm not asking anyone else to do so, but if someone offers me a food I can't eat and I decline, and they ask why, I'm going to say why. The answer I usually get is, "Oh, just exercise." Arrrrrgh! I DO. My job burns 180 calories an hour. I hike beside that. I am not a person who can just eat whatever she wants and exercise and be fine. I know this. I've changed that. And my efforts are dismissed. One friend actually went on and on, saying different exercises do different things. Well, I don't think any exercise can make up for my eating massive amounts of sugar and refined starch, people. I know my own body; I know what works. I'm proving it currently.

Why do they have to be so contrary? I only told my boss because it's clearly obvious that something is wrong with me; I am way more subdued. I can't really hide it.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

If you eat crap, you're going to gain weight. People who think they can just exercise it off are missing half the picture. Working out is fine when your young and your body responds quickly to changes. It doesn't work so well as you get older. I have a much harder time controlling my weight now than I did when I was 25.

You have to do both. While exercise would probably benefit you, there's no question the dietary changes you made are having a positive impact, and I'm not talking about just the ones you can see.

Besides, working out would not be good for you right now. You need to let your brain heal first. That could take some weeks still.

Follow up with your doctor. It's concerning you're still symptomatic this far out from the original injury.

And mentally tell all those people to fuck off. They don't know what they're talking about.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Or just give them a glare and a frosty 'I'm following my physician's advice, thank you. When you've been through medical school I'll consider listening to your opinion.'
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

So sorry to hear you're dealing with post-concussive syndrome, and you still have to go to work!

Hang in there, and rest that brain as much as you possibly can, given the circumstances - and if you need to , see if you can temporarily change the circumstances so you can rest more. With a 4th head injury, you don't want to be fooling around with it!

Comment

One of my supervisors said I should go on leave. The last time I just worked and it took a couple of months to heal; it usually does at my age (40). It's funny, though, that the symptoms showed up later. I think I'll go see my doc; I was only seen at the ER.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

In my opinion, the only people with a right to comment on my health are my medical personnel, and those in my friend/family circle who assist me on a regular basis/live with the consequences of it.

If I were working, I'd add in my boss/supervisor, but only in that my health affects how functional I am in my position in their business.

Now, I do understand that other people are concerned, and I'll be fine with well intended concerned questions or comments. And I'm very aware that children are curious about anyone who's different.
            Seshat's self-help guide:
            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
            X