This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sugar's back down, thankfully

I'm a type-II diabetic, and because of gut issues I've stopped taking the oral medications for it and have been controlling it entirely via diet. Successfully, too; at my last doctor's visit my hemoglobin A1C test was 5.9, which is actually at the top end of normal range. Successfully until now, that is...

A few days ago I had a hyperglycemic episode. 186mg/dL, not an emergency but troubling. I monitored my blood sugar closely and discovered I was waking up with a level of 130-140, despite not eating very much in the way of carbohydrates. Thankfully, I think I've found what was pushing it up and it was quite a bit lower this morning and during the day.

What was it? Caffeine. I've been doing a bit of computer programming lately and had upped my soft drink and coffee consumption considerably. I think the problem was exacerbated by my drinking it in the evening (it wasn't disturbing my sleep), and it was compounding the "dawn phenomenon", where the liver releases glucose overnight while we sleep.

Still monitoring, but I think I'm gold. I'll just be slogging around like a zombie for the next couple of weeks.

I quit drinking soda for Lent, and lost 15 lbs. I'm still losing. My shirts are getting looser, which is a good thing as they had gotten way too tight, and I now have to wear a belt to keep my pants from sliding down. I'm hoping to start buying new clothes in smaller sizes for the Fall.

I love my soda. But it was literally killing me the way it was packing on the pounds.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Way to go, both of you.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Celebrated too soon, it was at 140 this morning. I'll be experimenting with isolating any changes I've made in my diet over the past couple of months. Right now I'm eyeing these food bars and drinks from a certain source I'll name if they turn out to be the culprit; the drinks are only supposed to have four digestible grams of carbs, and the bars ten; but the list of ingredients is insane (and this evaluation is coming from someone who took some college chemistry courses).

Comment

Maybe that's why my mom's doc told her to cut down on coffee. Hmmmm; caffeine could be why I wake up with sugar at 104.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Doesn't seem to be those food bars/drinks either. Still trying to figure out what I've changed in my diet that's pushing it up.

Comment

Any unusual stress in your life? Had a cold or bug lately?
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Do you get enough sleep? Maybe it's just your body getting older, and you now need meds as well as your diet?

Talk to your doctor; see if he or she can help you figure it out.
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Whether it's getting older, or something else, I don't know. I've seen my doctor, and according to him 130 in the morning isn't terrible. I'll compensate by having zero carb breakfasts from now on.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                    Whether it's getting older, or something else, I don't know. I've seen my doctor, and according to him 130 in the morning isn't terrible. I'll compensate by having zero carb breakfasts from now on.
                    Talk to a nutritionist or dietician before you do that. You could bottom your sugar out too early in the day if you're not careful. You need some carbs to get you through the morning.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
                      You could bottom your sugar out too early in the day if you're not careful. You need some carbs to get you through the morning.
                      I'll be watching. And since I'm not taking any diabetes meds, any hypoglycemia will be mild.

Comment

Working...
                      X