Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Hospital Workers (not medical advice)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shyla View Post
    Thanks for the info. Too bad they haven't yet finalized the vaccine for c diff, one of the worst things going around a hospital.
    Well, if you get it, you can always ask for a stool transplant. It's very close to FDA approval

I'm serious folks. Stool transplants are on the verge of becoming the gold standard treatment of C diff.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Ack. I haven't so much as set foot inside a hospital beyond the front "general area"/the pharmacy in over five years ~ tho I do need to get updated vacc's. The last time mine were updated were when I started college. In 1993 o_O
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
        I'm serious folks. Stool transplants are on the verge of becoming the gold standard treatment of C diff.
        I'm looking forward to it being approved for IBS (assuming it continues to look good). Not for me - for family.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          I'm looking forward to it being approved for IBS (assuming it continues to look good). Not for me - for family.
          I'm not so sure that will happen. The problem with C diff is you need to replace the normal flora of the bowel. It requires a stool sample from a donor that is carefully tested to make sure only the right flora are in there.

IBS isn't an issue with the flora of the bowel. It's an issue with spasmoticity of the bowel.

I can't see how the mechanism of action would work.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

So you're saying that to cure someone who is so full of shit that it's flowing in liquid form out their backside they need to have more shit packed in them? Someone else's shit?

I do not want to have to be the medical person whose CV now has "shit transplanter" as their most recent position. Talk about a shitty detail.
            Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

I'm not so sure that will happen. The problem with C diff is you need to replace the normal flora of the bowel. It requires a stool sample from a donor that is carefully tested to make sure only the right flora are in there.
              I've heard that there's an "artificial digestive system" being worked on to produce "standardized" feces with the right flora for the purposes of fecal transplants.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth EvilEmpryss View Post
                So you're saying that to cure someone who is so full of shit that it's flowing in liquid form out their backside they need to have more shit packed in them? Someone else's shit?

I do not want to have to be the medical person whose CV now has "shit transplanter" as their most recent position. Talk about a shitty detail.
                Hah. Hah. Yes, that's the gist of it.

Quoth wolfie View Post
                I've heard that there's an "artificial digestive system" being worked on to produce "standardized" feces with the right flora for the purposes of fecal transplants.
                Hadn't heard that. Be interesting to see how that could actually work . . . and sounds wasteful of food to me.

Comment

Hadn't heard that. Be interesting to see how that could actually work . . . and sounds wasteful of food to me.
                  Read on. One benefit of this, as opposed to conventional fecal transplants, is that there is full control over the flora involved - no risk of unknown pathogens harbored by the "donor". Contrast that safety factor with a bit of wasted food and it looks like a no-brainer - remember that one theory about AIDS was that it entered the population through the culture medium for a hepatitis vaccine. At the time, hepatitis was a serious risk in the male homosexual community, who were therefore prime candidates for the vaccine. Oops!

The headers shown by Google hinted that it might be administered via capsules of dried matter, so it wouldn't be a case of each hospital needing its own artificial gut - this would cut down on the food input required.
                  Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Read on. One benefit of this, as opposed to conventional fecal transplants, is that there is full control over the flora involved - no risk of unknown pathogens harbored by the "donor". Contrast that safety factor with a bit of wasted food and it looks like a no-brainer - remember that one theory about AIDS was that it entered the population through the culture medium for a hepatitis vaccine. At the time, hepatitis was a serious risk in the male homosexual community, who were therefore prime candidates for the vaccine. Oops!

The headers shown by Google hinted that it might be administered via capsules of dried matter, so it wouldn't be a case of each hospital needing its own artificial gut - this would cut down on the food input required.
                    Hmm. I'm skeptical. The author of the study is also talking about treating autism with this.

I did a bit more research. Aside from the fact FDA approval is a long way off, cost is also a major factor. Traditional stool transplants are just way too much cheaper. The stool to be donated is carefully screened for unwanted bacteria so complications from transplanting the wrong bug are very rare.

Comment

Just in case anyone's wondering:

Some facilities allow you to select your donor for a Fecal Microbiota Transplant (so you could pick cousin Jim or sister Denise). I personally wouldn't sit well if I knew the donor.

Anyway, if your facility is preparing the sample, they use an ordinary home-blender to break it apart, then strain out the solids.

Or you can get a sample from a 'stool bank' (though I prefer more colorful adjectives), like these guys: http://www.openbiome.org/

Comment

Quoth minchazo View Post
                        I personally wouldn't sit well if I knew the donor
                        Because you already have to deal with enough of their shit?
                        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Shyla View Post
                          Thanks for the info. Too bad they haven't yet finalized the vaccine for c diff, one of the worst things going around a hospital.
                          My mom passed away in June, and the primary cause was listed as c-diff, followed by septic shock and then renal failure. So yeah, c-diff is extremely nasty.
                          Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X