This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back brace

So today I went to the medical supply place for my back brace.

Almost as soon as they put it on me I felt relief.

I mean I'm amazed at how much pain I was constantly in and just buckling down and coping until it got reduced.

I still have pain, but not in the amounts I am used to.

Speaking of back braces, does anybody have any advice on what to look for in one? I've been considering getting one for when school starts up, since I'm on my feet a lot then and that's when my lower back gets sore.

I had back surgery a couple of years ago, and I'm just finishing up a round of PT to improve strength and flexibility in my core to try to combat the pain I get. My therapist didn't have much to say about a brace, other than not to get one that's too tight. I'm not looking for a medical grade device, mind you, just something I can pick up at the drugstore. I just don't want to blow 30 bucks on something that turns out to be uncomfortable or unhelpful.
    My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Quoth CoffeeMonkey View Post
      Speaking of back braces, does anybody have any advice on what to look for in one? I've been considering getting one for when school starts up, since I'm on my feet a lot then and that's when my lower back gets sore.

I had back surgery a couple of years ago, and I'm just finishing up a round of PT to improve strength and flexibility in my core to try to combat the pain I get. My therapist didn't have much to say about a brace, other than not to get one that's too tight. I'm not looking for a medical grade device, mind you, just something I can pick up at the drugstore. I just don't want to blow 30 bucks on something that turns out to be uncomfortable or unhelpful.
      I have an Ace Work Belt (like this http://www.amazon.com/ACE-Work-Belt/dp/B0041HZ7QK - but I've had it for a while, so they may have changed the design - front can be seen here, and it looks different than what I have http://www.med-worldwide.com/ace-wor...-208605-p76217)

I have also tried a belly band, which is usually used to support pregnancy belly, but it's the same kind of thing - elastic with some sort of boning or stays for back support. They are also sold as "waist trimmers", and some look the same as the Ace belt, only without the suspenders.

The down side to both of these is that it is very easy to wear them too tightly. They are adjustable fit, with a wide hook and loop closure attached to the elastic, which is great as far as customizing the fit. But, you often can't tell it's too tight - it's a fine line between 'support' and 'too tight'

For the work belt style, I find the suspenders part useless. I'm big busted, so the straps in front always slide to the side. If I have them too tight, they dig into chest or shoulders uncomfortably. I'm not sure what the point of them is, since the support tends to ride up, not down. I may be too curvy It works best when you position it across the top of your pelvis (so you need to look for once that will cover from pelvis to above whichever vertebrae need the support) Getting it to stay in that position isn't easy, though.

I also have fibromyalgia, so the constant pressure along the elastic, seaming, and/or stays can activate my tender or trigger points, leaving me feeling worse than the original back problem. I only use one of these supports for short term periods. Personally, I can not wear them for more than an hour, without taking them off for a while.

The other problem if it's too tight, is they can compress your internal organs too much, leading to assorted gastrointestinal unpleasantness

Because of the elastic and stays, it encourages a straight, inflexible posture. If you have to add in bending or sitting, it may not work for you. I think it works best to support you when walking, or standing. Drop something? Good luck bending over to get it.

I would still recommend trying one, since they aren't terribly expensive, but I would get one ASAP, to figure out how to position it, move in it, and work up to wearing it for long periods. If you get one and immediately wear it an entire day, you will just end up ripping it off and throwing it away.
      Smile, or I'll smack you silly!
      At what age does a vampire become a crazy old bat? :[

Comment

For OTC ones, it's a matter of personal comfort and preferences. Use the size chart to buy one of the correct size. They work best to support your back if you have to do a lot of lifting.

Working on core exercises can also help your back, because our abdominal muscles actually do a lot of work supporting the back.

And, as always, lift with your legs, not your back. Bend your knees.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
          For OTC ones, it's a matter of personal comfort and preferences. Use the size chart to buy one of the correct size. They work best to support your back if you have to do a lot of lifting.

Working on core exercises can also help your back, because our abdominal muscles actually do a lot of work supporting the back.

And, as always, lift with your legs, not your back. Bend your knees.
          Yup, I actually just (today!) finished my physical therapy, and it all involved improving strength and flexibility in my core and legs. I do try to lift properly, and occasionally take a little break to stretch a bit. My problems come less from the actual movements, and more from just being on my feet for a long stretch of time. Like going to the grocery store, or mall, or standing around the kitchen at school (pasty student!) gets me really stiff and sore. I'm hoping that a little extra support will keep me from wearing out so quickly, especially while I'm still working on getting those corset muscles in shape.
          My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

Working...
          X