This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebate Issues

My husband and I are signed up for an awards program that offers you rebates on things like movie tickets and gas if you send your receipts in. Well, these rebates have time periods when they're active, meaning you can only send in receipts from that time period.

We sent in a receipt from getting gas at the beginning of last month, only to find out that instead of having the date printed Month-Day-Year like most American places have it, it was Day-Month-Year so it screwed the whole thing up and we lost our chance at a rebate.

I'd like to ask though, is it really that hard to figure out we're sending in a receipt from February 5, considering May 2 hasn't even happened yet?!?

And I'd like to ask the gas station (which is locally owned and not affiliated in any way with any sort of chain), why do you have your receipts formatted that way?
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Could be how the default programming was set up.

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
    I'd like to ask though, is it really that hard to figure out we're sending in a receipt from February 5, considering May 2 hasn't even happened yet?!?
    Oh my goodness, yes! Unless the company and workers are very familiar with dates listed as day/month/year, this confuses people constantly. And for some reason, having a future month written rarely gives a person pause. Unless it's listed as something very obviously wrong, such as 28/2/15, since most people realize there aren't 28 months in the year.
    A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Living in canada, I actually have the opposite problem. Things are SUPPOSED to be be day-month-year (it's a british thing) but all kinds of companies use american software and etc. Including the government employees. It's probably the majority of people who deal in MMDDYY but it's not everyone and quite a few people were taught in school to do it the other way as well.

Anyway, years of trying to decipher what a 6 digit date actually represents has given me a general distain for them. If I have to pick one it's YYMMDD because the sorting works nice and descending order numerically on a list.

/beware the Y10K bug.
      Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!

Comment

Guy, I'm in Canada too, and my understanding is that we're SUPPOSED to follow the ISO format - YYYYMMDD. ISO chose it because it can be seamlessly extended to include the time - going from the biggest unit down to the smallest.

As to why I called you "Guy", I recognized your Avatar (Guy Smiley, intended to represent the stereotype of game show hosts), even though it's been DECADES since I last watched Sesame Street.
        Last edited by wolfie; 04-02-2015, 03:01 AM. Reason: Added comment
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          Guy, I'm in Canada too, and my understanding is that we're SUPPOSED to follow the ISO format...
          Yeah... but when the heffalump rolls over, Piglet better scramble...
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            Guy, I'm in Canada too, and my understanding is that we're SUPPOSED to follow the ISO format - YYYYMMDD. ISO chose it because it can be seamlessly extended to include the time - going from the biggest unit down to the smallest.
            working in a lab that has international branches we used a standardized format to remove any confusion today's date would be written as 03APR2015.
            Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Huh, also in Canada and I always thought that French went ddmmyy, and English went mmddyy. Sort of how you would say it as you as you spoke.

Aragarthiel: Did the rebate company at least return the receipt so you can submit it in May for whatever the promotion happens to be that month?
              Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Nope, and I had included a necessary form that you only get when you sign up with the club, and they didn't return that either.
                The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I think I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MROtQBSbtV8

I AM the evil bastard!
                  A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I use "Military" formatting these days too.

5 April 15.

No mess, No fuss. Should be law.
                    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                    X