This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Parking =/= Bus Stop

Some guy seemed to get the signs confused.

I'm a bike commuter. Part of my daily route to work is on one of my city's bus routes, and the bus occasionally passes me. The timing was just right this morning.

I saw some guy standing on the sidewalk, right next to a "NO PARKING" sign. There were bus stops about two blocks east and west of him. Because he wasn't at a bus stop (these drivers are really strict about this rule), the bus drove right past him. I heard him yell "HEY!" at it and tried not to laugh to loudly as he started running after it, waving frantically.

What do you bet he complains to the transit authority about being ignored?
    I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
    - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
    - IPF

I've seen this a few times too, except back home, not over here. Bus drivers tend to vary on their excitement/laziness.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

As far as I know under routine circumstances letting passengers on or off other than at a bus stop invalidates their insurance, thus you ability get compensation should there be an accident.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Another point for the power of literacy.
        Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Uh yeah around here you can't just pick a bus stop you would like, it has to be the official ones. Slight pain in the ass sometimes but that's the way it is!
          https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
          Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth rvdammit View Post
            As far as I know under routine circumstances letting passengers on or off other than at a bus stop invalidates their insurance.
            I had never even thought of that!

Quoth telecom_goddess View Post
            Uh yeah around here you can't just pick a bus stop you would like, it has to be the official ones.
            Seriously. I've seen that a few times, too, but only in bigger cities. Flagging down a vehicle for a ride wherever you want... Isn't that what taxicabs are for?
            I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
            - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
            - IPF

Comment

Around here, the snow banks are so high that you often can't stand at bus stops. So all the drivers are good at picking you up at the closest safe spot (usually a driveway or corner next to the stop).

Letting people off is similar, and if you're a regular they can often let you off at an unofficial stop close to where you usually go. There seems to be less of a fus about stopping at non-stops in any case, even thouhg that's probably the 'official' rule.

Comment

around here, they're pretty strict. I've known a driver to stop ONCE when it technically wasn't at a stop, and even then, the driver had only just pulled out of the stop, and had apparently seen me sprinting to try to make the bus.

However, I've noticed bus drivers seem to have rather more flexibility in ignoring stops. ( I've had far too many cases of wanting to get home from school, having been waiting half a f****ing hour, and the bus doesn't stop. ( and yes, it definitely was the right number bus) Particularly annoying was the asshole driver that stopped, didn't open the doors, then promptly left again.

Comment

Quoth sstabeler View Post
                  However, I've noticed bus drivers seem to have rather more flexibility in ignoring stops.
                  My mom used to have this problem. Calling the bus company usually resolved it. She's gotten several bus drivers fired for leaving stops early or ignoring stops completely, including one time when she and four other people were waiting to get off at the same stop. There was just about a riot when the driver skipped their stop, from what she told me.
                  The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                    My mom used to have this problem. Calling the bus company usually resolved it. She's gotten several bus drivers fired for leaving stops early or ignoring stops completely, including one time when she and four other people were waiting to get off at the same stop. There was just about a riot when the driver skipped their stop, from what she told me.
                    I should make it clear that the bus skipped the stop I was waiting at, not my stop to get off. ( the one time it did, it is because it is a request stop ( you have to indicate you want to get off by pressing a button) and I forgot)

Comment

I understood that, I just thought the story I had would be worth relaying. It was the only time the bus ever skipped her stop while she was on it.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I ride the bus to work every day. There's one place where my route stops when going west, but the stop directly across the street (thus headed the other direction) is NOT a stop for that route (?!). I still don't get that, I think it has to do with construction the area and them moving other stops around to accommodate it.

Wonder if the guy who got his road signs confused had some kind of vision problems, or maybe forgot his glasses or something.
                        Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 04-06-2015, 11:17 PM.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
                        X