Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN: CUSTOMERS! DON'T F***ING WRITE CHECKS IN THE EXPRESS LANE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was inadvertently almost given someone's (possibly multiple someone's) account number...only missing one digit. One day I made a deposit, and was given a different (likely the previous customer at that teller) deposit slip. I didn't realize this until after I got home and mom looked at the slip which said there was a balance of over $20K O_o , upon which we realized that the account in question wasn't even ours.

The bank only prints the last 4 digits on the slips. Account numbers are 9. I knew the first 4 digits (by virtue of our own accounts) and had the last 4, so all I would have needed was the means to figure out which of the 10 possible numbers were good...likely multiple numbers in the range would be valid accounts.
    Last edited by Dreamstalker; 03-07-2015, 05:46 PM.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Depends on the situation. My store has readers for checks (I didn't know that using a computer to print on the check like they do at the Mart of Wall was even a thing). If the reader approves it, the customer signs on the dotted line and they're done. Took slightly but not significantly more time than doing a transaction via card.

But if the reader doesn't like the check, that means calling it in, and getting a crap-ton of info from the customer as well as other coworkers (we have to enter a merchant number, which at my old store it was in a binder behind the counter, but I wasn't told that during training...I have no earthly idea where it's written down at the new store, if it is written down anywhere at all).

The check approval number is a touch-tone automatic system. If the cashier doesn't enter the requested info in within 30 seconds or so, the call disconnects and she has to start over. I made the mistake of handing back one lady's ID before I was done and couldn't get her zip code out of her for love or money (she'd apparently just moved and couldn't understand that the new zip code on her updated driver's license was her real zip code...she kept hemming and hawing about how she didn't know if they wanted her "real" zip code from where she used to live or her new one from where she lives now).

Because of the afore-mentioned line hanging up on the caller, and this woman's inability to understand the concept of zip codes, I had to call back three times to get her payment to go through. Total time: 10 minutes. Also, next time she came in, I found out SHE HAD A DEBIT CARD THE WHOLE FREAKING TIME! ARGHHH!
      Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 04-07-2015, 06:59 AM.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Working...
      X