This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movers, you're moving MY things, talk to ME

So my apartment complex essentially kicked me out. Not because I did anything wrong, strictly because the market lets them rent out for more than they charged me. They did some illegal practices, I found another place that charged less, and I set about moving.

The way I was going to do this move was kinda complicated. It involves me renting a Uhaul and just have the movers load and unload. So here's the set up:

9:00 Fiance and I pick up uHaul.
    10:00 Movers start loading Uhaul. Parents show up with Daddy's truck.
    11:00 Daddy and I will go to a friend's place to pick up a washer/dryer they sold me for cheap. It turned out my dad rented a trailer so he wouldn't have to lift the washer and dryer up.
    12:00 Move Uhaul to new apartment. Movers start to empty it. Daddy comes with washer/dryer. They move that too.
    2:00 All done!

I called the movers. The owner said to text the address and times. I did. He replied with, I quote, "Thank you very much and I will see you then."

Actual day of the move:
    9:00 Fiance and I pick up Uhaul.
    10:00 Parents show up with truck/trailer. No movers.
    10:15 Call movers. Leave voicemail.
    10:30 Call movers. Leave voicemail. We decide to load the "mom's attic" part of the Uhaul while we're waiting.
    10:45 Text movers. Fiance and Daddy leave to get washer/dryer.
    11:00 Call movers. Leave voicemail. Start Facebooking to find friends who can help. One can help anytime, a few more can help various times, but most have plans. So I started calling moving companies. They're all booked except for 1, but they wouldn't be able to help until late enough that we couldn't return the Uhaul until tomorrow. It'll also be twice as much. Went ahead and signed them up as a back up plan.
    11:45 Daddy and fiancé return with washer/dryer. I text movers again. Daddy has to return the trailer, so we went to my place to carry the washer and dryer up three flights of stairs. Not fun. Right as we get them in the apartment, the movers call. The gist-They're in a city 30 minutes away.
    12:00 Returned Daddy's trailer and picked up lunch and returned to the old apartment to wait.
    1:00 The movers showed up and start moving things.

Then, they had the balls to not apologize to me or even talk to me. I introduced myself and my fiancé and they proceeded to talk to only my fiancé the rest of the day. They explained him this story of how they went to another apartment for a quick load job, but it turns out it was a lot more complicated and they decided to do it anyway. They even flat out lied and said I was supposed to e-mail them 24 hour before the job to do a final confirmation. I was so mad.

It came time to pay, and even while I was writing the check and asking them questions regarding the check, they still wouldn't talk to me, just fiancé. And when I tried to shake the owners hand at the end (Yes, I'm pissed at this point, but I always shake at the end of a business exchange), they wouldn't shake mine, only my fiancé's. JERKFACES!

Next time someone tries to do that, have your fiance and/or all male relatives and friends pretend to not know English. Then see what happens!
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I bet if you had said, "So the total for the check is $5.00" they would have spoken directly to you then.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

I moved last year and it was my first time hiring movers. Honestly I couldn't be happier. And I also couldn't be more relieved. Since then, I've heard nothing but horror stories about people not being so lucky. Sorry you had to put up with that, moving is stressful enough without the extra grief.

If I were you, I'd post your complaints online (be factual and honest). Websites like Yelp and Google reviews are critical to these types of businesses. Someone like me doesn't use these services often, is more likely to check online reviews before hiring someone.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

You mean you paid them the full amount? I'd have worked out what percentage of the work they were contracted to do they actually did (since you and your family did a lot of what they were supposed to do) then written a cheque for that percentage of the quote. When the owner finally acknowledged me to yell at me for underpaying I'd have told him to feel free to take me to court for the balance, given that I have the phone and text records to prove that they were not present for the withheld portion of the fee.

Then again, I'm pretty pissy and pedantic when people try to screw me over.
          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
            You mean you paid them the full amount? I'd have worked out what percentage of the work they were contracted to do they actually did (since you and your family did a lot of what they were supposed to do) then written a cheque for that percentage of the quote. When the owner finally acknowledged me to yell at me for underpaying I'd have told him to feel free to take me to court for the balance, given that I have the phone and text records to prove that they were not present for the withheld portion of the fee.

Then again, I'm pretty pissy and pedantic when people try to screw me over.

I agree... first off, when they refused to talk or even shake hands with the OP, that's when she should have sent her fiance away so the movers could only deal with her. And as someone else suggested, if she said she was writing the check out for five dollars, I'll bet that would have gotten them listening.

Is it too late to cancel the check? That would certainly open up a dialogue as well!

Since they lied and didn't perform their job as expected, they shouldn't have been paid the full amount. And since they seem to be sexist or something along those lines, the OP should have called them out on their behavior as well.

Were the movers "good ole boys" or someone who seemed like they were anti-woman or did they otherwise just seem like regular guys?

Comment

These guys are total jerks. Would have liked the fiancee to not respond to them, or say "I dunno, ask her" to anything they asked.

A thought on reviews. It's easy to remember to review only when it's negative. When I go to leave a negative review, I try to think of a place I really liked and leave a positive one. I have trust issues with online reviews, and I'll just leave it at that.
              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
                That becomes kind of tough if they still have your stuff.

Hey, I'm a poet and ...that was intentional.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Had real estate brokers like this. Two, in fact. While on the same apartment search.

First guy was personable, listened to our needs, and showed us good places, but was very much a Bro. Only addressed the fiance (male).

The other was a bit too much of a Principal figure, lectured us on our stated rent budget, and only addressed me (female).

We ended up renting from a broker we didn't like, but we LOVED the apartment. The initial broker ignored our requirement for small pets (we already had a cat, and she actually suggested we GET RID OF OUR PET!), and dumped us on a rookie to show us around after that first apartment. Fortunately, the rookie agreed to let us pay only 1 month rent as commission instead of their usual (and RIDICULOUS!) 1.5 month fee.

If they insisted on the 1.5, we'd have gone back to the Bro and suggested he see if the current owners would list with him instead.
                  "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                    (we already had a cat, and she actually suggested we GET RID OF OUR PET!)
                    We had a *potential* landlord say the same thing to us at one point when we were looking. Even though the lease allowed for cats, she flat out said we'd have to give up our cats to move in. "They're just cats, after all." I admit, I lost it on her (I didn't like her anyway). After going off on her (no, I won't repeat what I said. I'm not proud of it), I said "thank you for wasting our time. We're done here." and walked out.

My wife and I have had salesman ignore one or the other of us (usually car salesmen), and our insruance agent addresses everything to me, even though my wife is the primary holder, but that's about it.
                    "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

You should have cut the amount you were paying them. They'd have talked to you then.

Comment

Oddly enough, this reminds me of when my mother was dealing with the car salesman for our first family car. She was asking the questions, but he would only address my father who, knowing my mother as he does, widely stayed silent and let him dig his own grave. She's there getting angrier and angrier until she's almost going to walk out...that's when the salesman's boss noticed what was happening and smoothly injected himself into the transaction while quietly ejecting the sexist guy.

So do leave reviews and spread the word about these guys. If a woman isn't good enough to talk to, then they don't need that woman's money!

Comment

There was a hardware store in my town like that. They flat out refused to talk to my mom (who is a wood worker and knows more than most of their employees). Their excuse was "oh I thought you were with him" ("him" being any other male in the area). They went out of business. Wonder why. Being sexist in a college town in the middle of the most liberal area of the state isn't a great idea.
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Ugh. This dragged up a memory of the time I ran the joint lawn tractor over a tree stump, bent the front tie-rod and broke the ball joint. Had to go to a smaller engine repair place, namely one of our contractors, after MW had gone tits up and was sold off in pieces. Dad drove, since he wanted to pick up some parts at another place for his truck.

We both went in, and instead of talking to ME, they started talking to Dad. He motioned to me and said, "She's the one buying. Ask her." They were stunned when I gave them the part number off the top of my head. Ball joints are all the same across the MW Signature 2000 series tractors. They were the fourth fastest selling part at the repair center, after blades, belts and blade adapters.

Dad was amused and said, "Who the hell did you think you were talking to over the phone at MW Repair every Saturday for the last five years when you had a problem with a customer's mower?" Yes, that perky voice that you heard was MINE, asshole. (Admittedly, I sound totally different when I'm not being paid to sound cheerful...)
                            If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Working...
                            X