This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    As a pagan, I have to say I'm pretty frickin' tired of that group of lunatics being tagged with the name Isis. ISIL is a good alternative and I wish the media would use it.

And the stupidity of people attacking girls because their name is Isis boggles the mind.
    The media over here is starting to use ISIL because of the above-mentioned stupidity. Btw, that was ALL "local/state/national" news. So yes, the crazies are in Aussieland too (I like to think it's the humidity and the heat )

I might cross-post this in Fratching.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
      Each week in our local paper,they print the details of who's been in court this week.
      Normally,this is a roll-call of 'drank too much,drove something they shouldn't've, took something they shouldn't've or whacked somebody they shouldn't've.' Occasionally, you get the criminal genius who wanders in...
      Getting some weird news over there too, huh? I read a lot of news, and just between two news apps on my phone, there was:

Theft of 42,000 golf balls
      220, 000 gallons of cooking oil stolen
      Some stole a bridge
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
        Some stole a bridge
        How on earth did that even...?

And the golf balls...were they looking for The Answer x1000?
        Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 12-08-2014, 05:31 PM. Reason: adding stuff
        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
        -----
        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Yes, specifically a yellow star. And if I recall from The Diary Of Anne Frank (or maybe some other, similar book), the only yellow, inexpensive fabric available was so cheaply made it was a nightmare to cut and sew. Not to mention that the Nazis made them use precious fabric rations to get the yellow fabric in the first place.

Petty cruelties.

NOTE: the details I'm remembering may have been from a fictional account rather than Anne Frank, since I have read both that and several fictionalised books in my time.
          When I was in my teens, there were several 'to raise awareness' books written which took from the experiences of multiple different victims of the Holocaust and sort of melded them together into something deemed suitable for 'young teens' to read.

These days I'd prefer to read actual historic information, however depressing. But I was a sheltered child.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Yes, specifically a yellow star.
            Not exactly. The Nazis had two style of badges, a single triangle and a double triangle (Star of David) and a variety of colors.

Nazi concentration camp badges.

Also, Jews were required to wear identifying badges long before the Nazis arrived.

Yellow badge.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
              How on earth did that even...?

And the golf balls...were they looking for The Answer x1000?
              Laughs, "The golfballs were over several years, and the bridge was a small footbridge, but that was the headline."
              Seph
              Taur10
              "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                The yellow Star of David is what the Nazis made the Jews wear.

"The Nazis had pieces of flair they made the Jews wear..."

Comment

Quoth An Haddock View Post
                  "The Nazis had pieces of flair they made the Jews wear..."
                  MIKE NELSON: I'm a Nazi, but I love color...what can I do?

Comment

A late contender for this parade in the sections of

Unsuccessful scrimping
                    Theft of one T-shirt value £3. Fined £500,victim surcharge £50 and costs of £25, plus £3 compensation.

Expectation greater than reality
                    Unauthorized entrance into the X cafe,theft of the till and its contents of 94p

Now I would have loved to see our burglar's face on seeing his disappointingly tiny haul...
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                      petty stuff such as attacking anyone who has the name ISIS or who is wearing a hijab. It actually got to the point where one girl was attacked for having the NAME Isis, while a construction company called ISIS (which has been around for years) had a mixture of death threats, general threats and calls pleading with them to change the name. (They didn't cave)
                      Attacking anyone with the name ISIS? Hope they can say "ribbet", because they're going to piss off the goddess of magic.

It's ironic that modern events are closely following Egyptian mythology - after all, Isis' origin starts with a Nut.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                        Attacking anyone with the name ISIS? Hope they can say "ribbet", because they're going to piss off the goddess of magic.
                        Most of them are either ignorant of basic Egyptian mythology or believe that because Egypt is a Muslim-heavy country that the name must've come from there -_-

One story that sort of fits in here on the el stupid round of random criminal douchebaggery.

One guy got caught in customs with a tiny amount of hashish resin. The amount? Less than .1 of a gram. And he'd smuggled it in between his butt cheeks to boot. Luckily the officers saw the funny side and gave him a warning.

And this one was a bit more humorous, but this was from Gold Coast Cops (Channel 10's attempt at "the Force" but focused on the Gold Coast, as opposed to the Force which jumps between states)-they pulled over this car which had some outstanding issues on it and quizzed the driver. Turns out the driver was completely oblivious to the fact that her car had previously been used for criminal dealings (she'd bought it after said dealings had occurred), but then the cops opted to search the car juuuust in case. Big mistake.

Turned out the woman was a stripper (for bachelor parties), her car was a pigsty, she was "eating on the run" (and I do mean that literally-she had a steak, complete with crockery and cutlery on the passenger side seat) and in the back were all her *ahem* tools of the trade. The rest of the segment involved the female officer and the stripper making cracks at the male officer who kept asking stupid questions about the gear she had and why (he thought she was a prostitute) and just to be sure, both cops dowsed their hands with hand sanitizer before getting back in the car and moving on.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

One guy got caught in customs with a tiny amount of hashish resin. The amount? Less than .1 of a gram. And he'd smuggled it in between his butt cheeks to boot. Luckily the officers saw the funny side and gave him a warning.

That is smaller than a garden pea Why bother?

I know someone who back in the day [early 1970s] who while in Vietnam learned how to milk the latex out of opium poppies and had a reasonably thriving trade selling it, now there was profit in that [though latex opium has long since fallen out of favor. I wouldn't use it, I have a great appreciation of the dangers of nonstandardized organic chemicals...] and one gram of that is about the size of a lima bean. I can not imagine why that yahoo figured that small an amount of hash was worth risking jail to smuggle

But then again, I don't really understand why anybody would really risk going to jail for the more serious drug related stuff - it can seriously screw your life for the rest of your days. Using charges are one thing, but smuggling and selling is an entirely different matter.
                          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Hasish Smuggler: Here, I got you some great shit.

Hashis Addict after smoking it: Man, this stuff tastes and smells like shit.

Hashis Smuggler: Sorry, man. I had garlic pizza for lunch.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I make it a diehard unbreakable rule not to consume or use anything that has between anyone's buttcheeks. So far it has served me well...
                              The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Avoid Kopi Luwak then...
                                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                                X