Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think my brain just committed ritual suicide...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my brain just committed ritual suicide...

Someone I know posted this on another board I frequent, this was just so... RIDICULOUS that I had to pass it on...

An update since I was foolish enough to feel genuinely bad for my stepsister. After learning she was rejected from an additional 7 schools, I had the following conversation with my dad:

Him: So, bad news. We heard from the Ivies this week. She didn't get in anywhere.

Me: Seriously?

Him: None of them.

Me: Not even Princeton? [Legacy]

Him: Nope.

Me: Not even Columbia? [Legacy]

Him: No. We're just... and her mother is just incredibly upset.

Me: I don't get it. I mean, she's perfect. [She really is.]

Him: *shakes head* I don't know what happened. I mean, we even hired someone to write her essays.

Me: Wait, what?

Him: We hired a professional guy to write all her essays.

Me: *flabbergasted* Seriously?

Him: Yeah. What?

Me: Um, you know that they have software that scans language patterns and checks for plagiarism, right?

Him: What do you mean?

Me: I mean they can tell pretty much immediately if she didn't actually write her own essays. What the hell, dad? Why would you do that?

Him: Oh. Well, it wasn't my call.

Me: Uh-huh.

tl;dr: four years of private high school, private tutors, test prep, college prep, fine arts academies, camps, seminars, etc., plus all the community service, volunteer work, and extra-curriculars they could cram into her schedule go completely down the drain. At least she might catch a nap this summer.
    I think my brain did a BSoD when I finished reading that, attempted to reboot, then promptly went BSoD again...
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Money can't buy me love brains...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I really don't even know how to respond. I'm not sure if I feel sorry for the step-sister or just what...her parents certainly paved the way for failure for her. I can't even understand the idea of somebody agreeing to be paid to write college application essays for another person, but then my personal code of ethics is screaming at me about how wrong it would be to have somebody else write my essays for me.

Comment

Well... I mean, she would have known her parents did that, right? The applications were hers, and if she let her parents "help" she should have looked everything over before it got sent. I guess it's plausible that the daughter wrote her own essay's and the parents switched them without her knowledge, but that seems unlikely. So that sucks that her parents are that dim, but I'm sorry, it was her responsibility and her future.
        Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

OW!!!!
          That hurt my brain....who was it again that thought this was a good idea?
          Haven't they heard of all those expelled for plagiarism?!?
          I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
          -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Whoever said "cheaters never prosper" didn't have parents like these.

"Thanks, Mom and Dad! I guess your plan for me never leaving home worked wonders!"
            cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Now, whose fault do you think this is and who the parents will blame?

If you say the colleges I've got a bridge for sale or rent...

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                Well... I mean, she would have known her parents did that, right? The applications were hers, and if she let her parents "help" she should have looked everything over before it got sent. I guess it's plausible that the daughter wrote her own essay's and the parents switched them without her knowledge, but that seems unlikely. So that sucks that her parents are that dim, but I'm sorry, it was her responsibility and her future.
                This girl has the academic equivalent of "stage parents," "pageant moms," "athlete parents", what have you. They're going to get their daughter into the uber-prestigious university by any means necessary, even if it means she never has a free moment to herself because her schedule is so packed with extra-curricular activities and volunteer work.

And if they decide to hire somebody to write her entrance essays for her, then she's just going to have to roll with it.

I actually do feel sorry for her. I think this is entirely her parents' doing, particularly her mother's.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

That reminds me of a new Chinese legend.

A man graduated University with his Doctorate Degree. He handed it to his mother, and left. He never wanted to be a Doctor, but she forced him to go to school for it. Once he finished school, he never used his degree again and went on to do what he had actually wanted to do with his life.
                  I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Working...
                  X