This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talking is Not Your Skill

I mentioned before that a nearby office is closing and most of the people are being transferred to our office. This has meant for the last few months, and the next few, that movers are in and out a lot. Most of them have been very professional. It's a law office, we're on the phone a lot, emailing like mad, have deadlines that are not negotiable, and we need the background noise minimized.

But there's always one. The other day I'm at my desk. The partner I support (I support 5 other people besides here; I have a full plate) is at the counter around my station, and we're going over all her travel for the next month, which is complicated and extensive. This partner is the physical opposite of what most people think of when they hear law firm partner: petite, attractive, natural blonde, athlete. And this day she was wearing jeans and a sweater.

Up come a couple of movers. The tall one interrupts us, "Could you tell us where this goes?" He had a small drawer unit on a dolly.

Me: What's the office number? *I'm thinking he doesn't know how the office numbering system works.*

Mover: I don't know.

Me: Where is it from?

Mover: Upstairs. *We have four floors in this building, and we're on a lower floor, so not much help.*

Me: Who is it from? Is it from [someone who just moved]?

Mover: Maybe it was from [someone who just moved]. That might be the name.

I walk over and reach for the paperwork. Just then my partner says, "We should call [guy in charge of office moves]."

Me: I'll page [guy in charge of office moves]. Please wait here.

I call the receptionist to call the page.

Me: He should be here in just a couple of minutes, if you could just wait there. Thanks.

Mover: Okay, we wouldn't want to give you ladies any more work to do.

I look at my partner. She looks at me. I am ready to rip him a new one if she gives me the okay, but she just shakes her head and we go back to her travel. [She is also a pro at ripping people a new one, and we share a profanity habit that can be embarrassing.]

[Guy in charge of office moves] shows up about two minutes later, and he and the movers leave.

After the partner and I finish going over everything, I ask [guy in charge of office moves] to come by, at which time I explain to him why that particular mover is not welcome, ever again. He agreed and called the moving company the same day. Moving company owner was very unhappy, and guaranteed that mover would not be back.

Karma stepped in, also. The mover's drill broke that day as he was installing that same drawer unit.
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect
Working...
X