This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get a Refund without a receipt

Possibly in the wrong spot. I guess this is a sighting because I "saw" it in a magazine..?

Page 178 of Decembers Cosmopolitan

Get a Refund without a receipt.

First, try simply telling the clerk you have a return and hand over the goods. If he's a rookie, he may not ask for the receipt. If he does, tell him you don't have it but you'd be happy with store credit instead. Still no luck? Raise your voice so that other shoppers can hear, and say, "I spend a lot of money here but if you can't help me, I'll take my business elsewhere." He may change his tune since he won't want others to be put off by your fit.
    Source: Lindsay Weiner
    Personal shopper and owner of Style Me New York
    I feel compelled to write the magazine a letter..

Who takes anything seriously in those magazines? I mean really, one page they tell you not to drink, the next page, there's an ad for booze, the next page they say to be happy with your body, the next page is weight loss ideas.....
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I'm quite tempted to write that magazine a letter myself.....as that was honestly one of my biggest pet peeves about customers at Macy's.

Comment

Oh yeah, I'd write a letter! That writer may not realize how many people try to scam "refunds" for stuff they just stole off the shelf, for stuff they damaged themselves, stuff they used and don't want any more...the list goes on.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Seriously? The employee wont' notce or ask for it? Um hello! While many stores will take items back without a receipt, including the one I work in, policies are set by corporate. My store, if you have no receipt, you get a store credit only, for the CURRENT selling price. so if you paid full price, you are SOL.

And her advice to act like an a**hole to get what you want? Yeah, that's really charming and will get you far. In my store, it would get you a polite, I'm sorry, but this is our policy, as our managers will not make any exceptions to the rules. And if I were a customer witnessing this childish tirade, I'd think the customer was the jerk, and it wouldn't stop me from shopping there!

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
            Who takes anything seriously in those magazines? I mean really, one page they tell you not to drink, the next page, there's an ad for booze, the next page they say to be happy with your body, the next page is weight loss ideas.....
            The only reason to buy Cosmo is to find out how to f as much as possible.

I'd say the author is very aptly named. "Weiner." As in "whiner." Tee hee.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

"if all else fails, head to kohl's; they'll accept anything."

nice, not only is she giving sc advice but advocating it as perfectly normal. where does this wench live again?
              look! it's ghengis khan!
              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

this makes me tempted to do just that at "Style Me New York"
                To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
                my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Sadly enough a lot of people pay attention to the crud in the magazines. I buy them for entertainment value when I have nothing to do at work. If someone came into my place of work and pulled that..well lets just say I don't work for a corporation and there is no way my boss will fire me for saying get the heck out. Actually, he might jump in before I get a chance and tell them that.

Why would you want harassing customers? That's almost like saying, "Ah go ahead and be an asshat. We need your business."

Personally I'd love to serve 10 customers with proper behavior then 100 asshats just because they equal more profits.

Comment

Quoth chainedbarista View Post
                    where does this wench live again?
                    She has a web site, and apparently is located across the river from me in Washington, DC. Her address, phone and email are on the web page. Her business appears to be a service, not a store.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

She's a personal shopper, which means she's probably well used to browbeating stores into returning things her rich-as-shit clients rejected.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

This article makes me sad.
                        The workers in the serivce industry have to deal with EW all the time, magazines encouraging this behaviour is unacceptable, but unfortunately happens.
                        Why don't we write to the author of the article, claim we always read her article and can we have free advice as we have spent sooooo much money on her work before. She won't part with her advice for free, why the hell is she encouraging the duble standard?!

Grrrrrr

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
                          You're on a website where there are so many complaints about this exact thing going on in their shops (and more often than not, having a spineless manager cave in to it) and yet still ask this?

For shame, blas.

It's stupid for sure, but apparently someone is reading and taking notes or we wouldn't be here.
                          Getting offended is a great way to avoid answering questions that make you sound dumb. - exmocaptainmoroni

Comment

*hangs head in shame*

I know I have some real doozies from time to time, natural blonde and all, but I was serious there. I have a lifetime subscription for both freaking magazines, and it's just contradiction after contradiction, page after page. Anyone who would read that and take it seriously has to be missing more than half of a functioning brain.
                            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

sadly, only those looking for tips to further utilize their already horrendous behavior, total idiots and people looking for a snerk or curious as to what the 'genius writer' has to say about x will read that crap.

unfortunately, we know which of the four we end up dealing with.
                              look! it's ghengis khan!
                              Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

Working...
                              X