Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blas, you're right about the contradictory stories. They make me laugh, just look at the covers: Make our yummy caramel-chocolate-marshmallow-double fat-triple sugar-cake! and right next to it: Lose 10 lbs in one week! Health tips for the diet conscious!

But I bet any articles telling you how to scam something are pretty popular. The only time SC's read anything is when you use the word "free." You could advertise "free anthrax, cooties and zombie-bites" and 10,000 people would show up for it. All they see is 'FREE.'
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Cosmo magazine helping make SC's

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but nowhere else made sense.

The December issue of Cosmopolitan magazine has a nice little blurb (on page 178 if anyone has it) It's titled:

"Get a refund without a receipt"
      First, try simply telling the clerk that you have a return and hand over the goods. If he's a rookie, he may not ask for the receipt. If he does, tell him that you don't have it but you'd be happy with store credit instead. Still no luck? Raise your voice so that other shoppers can hear, and say "I spend a lot of money here, but if you can't help me, I'll take my business elsewhere" He may change his tune since he won't want others to be put off by your fit.
      Source: Lindsay Weiner Personal Shopper and Owner of Style Me New York

Seriously? WTF?

Comment

Thing is, the drone working the register DOES NOT CARE if you take your business elsewhere. Nor do they have the authority to change company policies.

As such, attempting to do this only irritates the drone. Threats of taking your business elsewhere are actually counterproductive as the drone at that point wants you to leave and never return. Demands to do something against story policy also fall on completely deaf ears.

"I'm sorry ma'am, I can't do that.
        "We require a receipt."
        "Our policy is that a receipt is required."

Seriously, just repeat it like a broken record. And do it in a completely calm, polite manner. This will absolutely enrage the scammers.

They will eventually go away. Even the densest moron will get it when you're repeating the same exact thing for 10 minutes. Ask the same question, get the same answer no matter how many times you ask the same question.

Comment

She needs to be fired pronto and forced to work in retail at the lowest level.

Comment

In the future, use the report button, do not reply in the thread like this.

I've merged the threads.
            Last edited by Dave1982; 11-13-2010, 07:12 PM.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
              Thing is, the drone working the register DOES NOT CARE if you take your business elsewhere. Nor do they have the authority to change company policies.
              This always cracks me up. They're so used to having their butts kissed by corporate, they think every employee in the company is going to hang onto their coattails and beg them not to leave. More like, we'll beg them to please, GO, and don't come back!

Quoth Brojekk View Post
              She needs to be fired pronto and forced to work in retail at the lowest level.
              Amen!
              Steven Slater ROCKS! So does James Jones!

The world is an asshole contest...and EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Comment

Oops, sorry. I don't know how I missed the original thread.

Did anyone see the blurb right next to it?

How to score the In Demand parking spot.

When you pull up next to the spot that the other car is about to vacate, stop your vehicle smack dab in the middle of the lane (ignore the blaring horns) (a) You'll force the driver exiting the spot to turn in the other direction. (b) since there's no room for him to get by you, which will temporarily block the car gunning for the space from the opposite direction. The second the spot is empty, whip your car in place (c), and try not to smile with evil satisfaction.
                Source: Melanie Troxel, Professional Race Car Driver

Comment

Quoth birdie1218 View Post
                  Raise your voice so that other shoppers can hear, and say "I spend a lot of money here, but if you can't help me, I'll take my business elsewhere"
                  Never will understand how returning a product for a refund validates you as a customer who spends a lot of money. Yes, you spent money at our store, but as of right now you're taking that money back. It's a wash. You're a non-customer.

Go away.
                  Sorry, my cow died so I don't need your bull

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    The only reason to buy Cosmo is to find out how to f as much as possible.
                    Quoted for pure truth.

I'm writing Cosmo a letter myself, though not over the how-to-be-SC guide. It's because I'm sick of seeing the word "va-jay-jay" every goddamned place I turn.

VAGINA, MOTHERFUCKERS. LEARN TO SPEAK IT.
                    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                      They will eventually go away. Even the densest moron will get it when you're repeating the same exact thing for 10 minutes.
                      Wow, I have to respect that level of optimism.

Comment

There's another point that hasn't been brought up yet. Think of places like Wal Mart that sells copies of this same magazine at the checkout counter. Customers are buying copies from the exact same store they plan to scam. If I were the owner of a business, I would refuse to sell magazines that taught my customers how to scam my place of business.
                        To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

Quoth Hyndis View Post
                          They will eventually go away. Even the densest moron will get it when you're repeating the same exact thing for 10 minutes. Ask the same question, get the same answer no matter how many times you ask the same question.
                          I think 45 minutes is my current record at the Orange Apron. I had the guy handed off to a manager almost immediately and kept taking other customers.

At the Bullseye, I had one that lasted over an hour. I don't know what happened with that one because my shift ended and I had to hand her off to the next person. Explaining the problem was simple, "She wants to do a return without a receipt but she's over the limit and we can't look it up". I got SUCH a dirty look for summing up an hour of ranting in one sentence, but I didn't care, I was gone.
                          It's little things that make the difference between 'enjoyable', 'tolerable', and 'gimme a spoon, I'm digging an escape tunnel'.

Comment

Quoth birdie1218 View Post
                            Did anyone see the blurb right next to it?

How to score the In Demand parking spot.

When you pull up next to the spot that the other car is about to vacate, stop your vehicle smack dab in the middle of the lane (ignore the blaring horns) (a) You'll force the driver exiting the spot to turn in the other direction. (b) since there's no room for him to get by you, which will temporarily block the car gunning for the space from the opposite direction. The second the spot is empty, whip your car in place (c), and try not to smile with evil satisfaction.
                            Source: Melanie Troxel, Professional Race Car Driver
                            You left out the most important part: (d) When you finish your shopping (or at least think you've finished), walk a mile to the nearest auto parts store to buy a pack of valve cores and a tire pump.

BTW, in a situation like that, part (a) wouldn't work. I'd make a point of turning toward them, then waiting for them to get the hell out of my way so I could finish pulling out. As I told someone in this situation about a month ago, "I've got a full tank - that's enough to idle for 2 days. I can wait."
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm curious - if something is returned, does the store then request a partial refund from it's supplier?
                              I would be tempted to write to Cosmo, and say something along the lines of "since I read that article, I have saved much money by buying your magazine, reading it and returning it."
                              The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

^^^At the swamp, any unsold magazines being replaced by a new edition are returned to the circulation company, probably for a full or partial refund.
                                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                                X