Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's an all you can eat sushi place near me, and on the menu they have tempura, which are mostly veggies that are deep fried. They have onion tempura which looks just like onion rings.

My favorite are the zucchini tempura

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
      Deep fried Cthulhu bites FTW!
      Thank you, Crossbow, for making me almost choke on my grilled cheese sandwich.

Also, even before I actually tried calamari for the first time, I knew what it was. It, right up there with catfish, is probably the best fried thing I've ever eaten.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

I have one of those conveyor belt sushi places near me and I love it....and frankly I thought the calamari looked like chicken . I know what it is though and that's the one thing I don't care for there, they are deep fried rubber bands.

But the rest of their stuff is delicious....including the sashimi (sp?)
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Eww. I do not eat tentacles.

That woman was extremely rude, though. I've never eaten calamari but I know what it is, and I wouldn't have expected to find onion rings at a sushi place. What did she do, just pick a restaurant at random?
          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Dasota View Post
            There's an all you can eat sushi place near me, and on the menu they have tempura, which are mostly veggies that are deep fried. They have onion tempura which looks just like onion rings.

My favorite are the zucchini tempura
            Oh yes, tempura is amazing (if done right, I've had it when done wrong). My boyfriend hates seafood (we go to that particular sushi place because I love seafood and they have some good nonseafood dishes he can have) and the vegetable tempura he loves too. They don't do the onion tempura though, they stick with broccoli, zucchini, and carrots.

The restaurant used to have this special where they would deep fry their house special role (egg wrapping with tuna, cucumber, crab, and rice on the inside, and they would serve it with a bit of katsu sauce on the top. They don't do it anymore, but it was such a nice dish.

Comment

I'm not much of a seafood person and I'm a bit squeamish, so onion-ring calimari is the only squid I'll try. Mostly because something breaded and deep-fried no longer resembles or tastes like the original creature. Now regular calimari? Nuh uh, I don't care for having my food wave back at me.
              A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Onions rings,calamari.....

We moved to Spain when I was 11 & since we were civilians (NASA) my parents enrolled my brothers & me in a Spanish private school.We hadn't been there too long when one day in the school cafeteria I saw that all my fellow students were very excited about lunch.So the cart comes around & I get a plate of what looks to me like onion rings,I'm thinking "Great,food I know!" So I took a big bite.

What the hell.... I thought & grabbed my handy little phrasebook/dictionary & asked "¿Que es esto?"

"¡Calamar!" they said.So I looked it up...squid.I'd never even heard of people eating squid,but it sure tasted good,so I ate it all & have liked it ever since.

Hmmm,got some in the freezer,think I know what I'll make for dinner tomorrow
                "If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you.This is the principal difference between a man and a dog"

Mark Twain

Comment

Gotta love the Can't-Be-Wrong SCs!

We once encountered a woman who was convinced she could find her daughter at Logan Aiport to surprise her without knowing the flight she was coming in on or even what city she was coming from. Couldn't convince her Logan had 5 terminals (at that time) with flights coming in every few minutes.

She was just going to show and fully expected to find her daughter easily.
                  The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    I wouldn't have expected to find onion rings at a sushi place.
                    This. I love sushi but i don't care for calamari, which is why I always look carefully at what i pick off the conveyor belt! Who goes to a sushi restaurant and expects onion rings?
                    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
                    - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Dips View Post
                      Gotta love the Can't-Be-Wrong SCs!

We once encountered a woman who was convinced she could find her daughter at Logan Aiport to surprise her without knowing the flight she was coming in on or even what city she was coming from. Couldn't convince her Logan had 5 terminals (at that time) with flights coming in every few minutes.

She was just going to show and fully expected to find her daughter easily.
                      Wow.(facepalm) If she's so sure she can find her daughter, maybe you shouldn't have helped her and let her figure things out on her own.

Comment

mm, squiddly goodness; she should be beaten with udon noodles for wasting it.

i agree; baby chains knew what it was as a little chain and loves it (from a greek restaurant). rings, tentacles, we love them all; knowing that it's a cthulu thing makes it even better.
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I can forgive her for thinking it was onion rings.
                          I can forgive her for not knowing what Calamari is.
                          I can't forgive her for ignoring advice, and then raising a stink.

Hell, I hate seafood (well, ok, I tried squid recently and just found it bland and uninteresting, the texture was fine though, and the sauce it came with was great). Fried Calamari makes me sad as I always look at it and go "Man, I could go for some onion rings now".

That said, I love Japanese. Be it curry, Katsu, Ramen, Soba, Yakitori (my current addiction), whatever. I just always have problems because they garnish just about everything with nori, which I can't stand ;(

Also, about wasabi, I tend to cherry pick the condiments off my friend's sushi plates. Between wasabi and pickled ginger I'm a happy happy camper. Wasabi mixed with mayo is also one of the greatest samich topper EVER.
                          Last edited by thansal; 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Quoth thansal View Post
                            Wasabi mixed with mayo is also one of the greatest samich topper EVER.
                            This.
                            For me, wasabi mayo is always in a constant fight for dominance with sriracha mayo.
                            "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Wait, so she went into a place that sells primarily Japanese dishes, and thought they had an American dish?

How do you...

anyways: calamari is alright.

Comment

Quoth Crossbow View Post
                                That's just about as good as having some noob take a large (at least a tablespoon) of wasabi and pop it in their mouth because the waiter convinced them it wasn't that hot.
                                My first exposure to Wasabi was at a pot-luck at work. I saw the green, and thought, "Hmm, that's an interesting color for guacamole" I took about half a spoonful, and popped it in my mouth...

Two minutes later, after I'd peeled myself off the ceiling, I decided I'd better take TINY tastes first, at any future pot-lucks! Thank goodness it was a FAST burn!
                                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Working...
                                X