Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In no way do I see a penis. I mean, even the least of geeks will recognize the leaf of Lothlorien and the Galadriel! I like it a lot, go for it, but find a tattoo place that will make you feel valued are professional!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth wheeitsme View Post
      Okay, I totally recognized that. LofTR, right?

(added)

And I just googled - lord of the rings brooch tattoo - and it looks like a good tattoo artist could totally do what you want.
      Yep. I've seen the same image you Googled which is how I know it can be done. Instead of doing the white lines as white lines, he said he'd have to outline them in black and fill, and then the two black lines would blur together over time and look like crap. Which may be true, but meh. It wasn't his consultation that bothered me, it was the immaturity and penis quips. I've dealt with too much SC behavior to feel like telling him he'd lost a customer's business, and besides, I got the distinct impression that they didn't really want my business in the first place. It was really humiliating.

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid
      So some shithead you don't like and don't respect, and who you will probably never see again, sees dicks in everything
      This made me laugh so much And also reminded me of:

The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

If I ever saw a penis that looked like that, I'd die laughing.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Agape - the Greek word for brotherly love if memory serves. Eros is the word for romantic love. Been a while since I did classical studies, so my memory may need dusting off.

Yeah, their comments say far more about them and ... their desires than anything else.

Rapscallion

Comment

I sold (coff, coff, *attempted*to sell) real estate for a couple of years. We had to take pictures of the houses to put in the newspaper ads. I saw a lot of people take very nice photographs, but when they were reduced to postage-stamp size, they'd look like teeny blobs. Why do I mention this? ]I learned to use a copier to make the picture smaller to get a better idea what I was going to end up with.

One thing you might try is tracing your picture. That way you'll get a better idea of how the lines will show up. Then reduce it on a copier to about the size you were thinking of. Then hang it up and look at it from several feet away.

Your picture does NOT look like a penis! But the guys in the shop were probably not seeing your picture; they were seeing what your finished tattoo would look like.

They were still rude jerks in any case, though.

If you find that your drawing is a bit too ... er ... penile, you might take it to another tattoo artist -- you know, a mature one -- and say "This is what I was thinking of, but here are my concerns. Do you have any thoughts?" He or she might be able to design something that captures the essence of what you had in mind, and will fit in the appropriate space, and conjures no X-rated mental pictures.
            Women can do anything men can.
            But we don't because lots of it's disgusting.
            Maxine

Comment

What a bunch of assholes....I got 3 tattoos and this is NOT how a professional tattoo shop is suppose to act... I mean sure they do give constructive criticism, but they don't make mean insensitive comments.

Your tattoo is very awesome. I would not let a few guys with the brains of beavis and butthead deter you from going and getting it.

I would also tell your friend what happened.
              Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                Agape - the Greek word for brotherly love if memory serves. Eros is the word for romantic love. Been a while since I did classical studies, so my memory may need dusting off.
                Close. Agape is the Greek word for general unconditional love, the type that you're supposed to have for everybody but that's easier said than done. Philleo is familiar (brotherly) love, which you'd have for a family member or friend. Eros is romantic love, but almost more in a desire kind of sense. What most English-speaking people would think of as romantic love would really be a combination of all three, as they're by no means mutually exclusive.
                "Who loves not women, wine, and song remains a fool his whole life long" ~Martin Luther
                "Always send a lazy man to the angel of death" ~Martin Luther
                My MySpace
                My LiveJournal

Comment

I like it and think it would make a cool tattoo. I've got two myself. The first one was done at home by a rover guy a friend recommended...he was good. The second was done by another friend in a small shop and he was awesome. And quick.

Get it and post pics when it's done....
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Okay, no one has said it yet.
                    It's what I immediately thought, but since I usually don't use that language...

Are you suprised that to a couple of dicks, everything looks like a penis?

Comment

Quoth wheeitsme View Post
                      Are you suprised that to a couple of dicks, everything looks like a penis?
                      But it's sooo much bigger than their's!

...the real reason for their comments.
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

they had 'penis' envy, that's all. i guess if the mind were drunk and warped, you'd see it, but a normal one wouldn't.

lotr tats, yeah!
                        look! it's ghengis khan!
                        Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

While the design is beautiful, I don't know if it will transfer well to a tattoo. I don't think it looks like a penis to any but the most immature of brains, but when it's reduced in size & rendered in black & green, rather than green with a silver outline, I do think it might turn slightly blob-like. My stepdad is covered in tattoos from neck to waist, & he pointed out a few of the worse ones so that I'd know what to avoid if I ever decided to get one.

Perhaps you could find a good artist who's willing to amend the design a little? I can see why you'd want something that lovely as a part of you, particularly if it has personal meaning, but a straight transfer won't quite work.

One of the pieces of advice I was given was to copy the design in black & white, then blue-tac it to a pale wall & stand a few feet away until it looks about the size you want it to be. How does it look? Any embarrassing outlines? Does it still look good, or does it look blobby & awkward? Also, if it's going on a limb, or any bit of your body that's not reasonably flat, wrap the copy around something that's a similar shape & get someone to move it around a bit, kind of the same way that part of your body would move (e.g. arm swinging or lifting). Alternatively, get someone to draw an approximation on the appropriate body part in felt-tip. Move around in front of a mirror. Any unintentional dirty pics appearing? Does it look odd?

After having typed all that, I've only got one thing to say about the guys who served you. They were the only dicks in the building that day.
                          Last edited by greek_jester; 03-04-2011, 11:57 PM. Reason: Can't spell! *headdesk*
                          "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

I can't complain about his consultation, as he did raise valid points, and he actually did copy my picture (which isn't a drawing, but a picture of an exact replica of the brooches worn in the films) and cut it out, and told me to put it on myself and see how it looked. It's just waaaaayyy to big to put where I was going to, and seems garish instead of small and tasteful like I wanted. I might just take the design to a different artist and see what they say. This one suggested I move it to a shoulderblade or thigh but it'd be covered 90% of the time there and I'd like it to be seen.

The same shop did have a design I found online that I like in their flash; it doesn't really have as much personal meaning for me but I do like it and I have the artist's permission to make minor alterations. It's a little cartoon-ish sheep with huge eyes and floppy ears and she's just . . . she's just adorable. Actually sheep do have some personal meaning for me since I've raised them, so I might get it, who knows.

I did tell my friend what happened and she offered to go over tomorrow and bitch them out for me, LOL. But nah.
                            The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

The leaf of Lothlorien is immediately recognizable to anyone who truly matters.

After staring at it for several minutes, I still can't see a penis. Mind you, I've only seen a dozen or so in my lifetime, but NONE of them resembled a green pointy leaf, and I'd have run away screaming if they had.
                              Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

A friend of mine has that broach tattooed on her wrist and the artist who did it was A-MAZ-ING with it. Looks like she's actually wearing a bracelet of it, only instead of a chain, she has elfish encircling her whole wrist. The words are the last four lines to Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken". Pretty epic. And only guys who think LOTR is geeky would think that looks like a penis. I love those leaves and would get it as a tattoo if I could. Don't let douchebags make you think that it's stupid. Believe me, I have seen far more stupid tattoos on friends and strangers; or worse, misspelled words. Those are the funniest!
                                Just because they serve you, doesn't mean they like you. And just because they smile and act polite doesn't mean they aren't planning to destroy you.

"I put the laughter in slaughter."

Comment

Working...
                                X