This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another one about Hell

This thread--- http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...ad.php?t=75423 reminded me of something that happened to me. So as not to threadjack, here it is:

I had similar issues with Dell. When I graduated high school, I was given a laptop as my graduation gift from my parents. At the time, they paid for a 3 year warranty. Three years later I went to extend my warranty as my parents birthday gift to me and it was like pulling teeth.

First guy I called and insisted I was giving the wrong identifying information (address it was billed to, address it was delivered to, phone number of original purchaser). Hung up with him. My dad thinks he was trying to get his average call time increased.

Called a second time, talked to a woman. Gave her the exact same information as the first guy, and it all checked out this time. Hmmm. She tells me that it would cost $XX.XX, but my dad would have to call to make the purchase. We were given her direct line. So my dad calls her, and now the price is $YY.YY (more than the original, but not by much) because she had "miscalculated." Also, the credit card machine is down, but they can put it on the computer and as soon as it's back up, they'll charge him. Then she gave him a confirmation number.

He called the next day to confirm it happened. It didn't happen. They had a record of the call, but the computer didn't save the information, so it never charged his card. They could help him out, however, and do it now for $ZZ.ZZ (about twice of $XX.XX). He said the original quote and asked that they honor that. They have no record of the first conversation I had with her, just the second one my dad had. He talked to the supervisor, but he insisted on $ZZ.ZZ, so my dad finally just said nevermind.

A couple weeks later, after I had calmed down, I decided to try one last time. I got through to a young guy who, when asked me what kind of computer I had, started laughing. "We don't even make those any more. The parts wouldn't even be lying around. Why would we extend a warranty on a model we have no way to fix. Buy a new computer. That's all I can suggest to help you." I tried insisting, which, not only made him laugh longer, but also, stop a coworker, tell him that I was trying to extend a warranty on <model>. The coworker and him start laughing together, saying how insane it was someone would want to have a working <model> despite the fact that the machine was less than three years old.

So, the fun part is this: At the time, my dad worked for Dell. So, he wrote a politely worded e-mail explaining what happened to him, e-mailed it to the bosses of all these people. He had, in the past, worked in tech support (although a different department), and knew some of the bosses. In the e-mail he also said, basically, that he was trained to (1) document all calls (2) quote the price on the computer on anything to be purchased (3) never laugh at a customer (4) help all customers who call in, despite your call time average, etc. So he basically suggested they look at how well these worked were trained. Don't know what happened because of it, though.

I hate Dell, with the passion of a thousand suns. Not their products, but their customer service.

After what I went through trying to pay off my laptop, the harrassment, the never ending phone calls and their idea of fun by tacking on another interest fee right after I'd made the final payment to pay it off in full, I will never, ever purchase anything from Dell again.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

linky link link

This is my cousin, He was working at Dell Computers at the time.
      "Did you at least ascertain the nature of his curse so that I may know the monstrosity that I face? ... A GIRL? He was... Turned into a girl? WHY WOULD ANYONE DO THAT?" -EGS http://egscomics.com

Comment

Dell is one of our customers. It probably won't surprise anyone that they are SCs. Yes. Some of the stories I've posted here are about them. Obviously I can't say *which* stories.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Working...
        X