This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think I've got long to go...

I decided a few months ago I wanted to go back to college and get myself out of the bartending world. Unfortunately I missed the deadline for the course I am interested in, and will now have to wait until September 2010 before I can go back.

I thought to myself "Ah well, no biggie. I can do another year easy!"

I now seriously believe I will have walked from the job in a matter of weeks.

Of course I would never just stop showing up. I would like a reference But it has now reached a point where I dread going into work. And when I say dread, I mean I feel sick to my stomach.

I used to love barwork, but as I moved higher up, the shit got worse and worse. Things were so much easier when I was just a lowly bartender making drinks! Being in charge of a bar is one of the most draining experiences I have ever encountered.

Mornings are the worst. All you get is scum. Alcoholics with very little teeth, who smell and spend all their time glaring at you and complaining. The pub hadn't been open five minutes, and I had a line of a dozen alcoholics at the bar, grunting impatiently at me. That sight alone made me feel depressed.

I love my co-workers, in the short time I have been there, I have made some very close friends. Two have already said that if I leave, they're coming with me.

Hmmm - crap!

Dunno what else to say, really. The place is bringing you down, it's depressing, and does nothing for you... not good for a career that you once loved.

I presume there are other places you can easily get work with your experience?

(you do realise, I hope, that perhaps with your CS name, you've brought it on yourself?? )
    When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Maybe petition the management to put a big sign up: You are a guest. By entering this establishment you agree to behave as a guest (polite and courteous). Failure to do so leaves you no legal grounds to react to our punishments.
      Bark like a chicken!

Comment

Start job-hunting. There are always shops hiring if you don't mind dealing with customers.

Apart from that, the public sector is still recruiting for office admin jobs, try NHS, local councils, universities etc

Good luck!
        No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Why wait another year to start school? Surely your area of study is going to require more than the 1 course you are interested in. Take a look at the course requirements and get signed up to start in December/January.

I've been where you are now, feeling sick at the thought of going to work. Eventually I was permanantley laid off. Was the biggest blessing in my life, aside from my hubby and children, as I'd never have left on my own. Start looking for other work NOW and in the meantime, look over the courses available to get you closer to your degree/certificate.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Well, I've booked a few days off so guess what I'm gonna be doing!!

Comment

Having a pint or 2?
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Good luck with the job hunt!
                No longer a flight atttendant!

Comment

Working...
                X