This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Overtime is Normaltime

Do any of you have jobs where long hours are required? If so, are you OK with it, or is it a nuisance for you?
    In the early 90's, my job was struck with constant 6-day weeks. This was caused by a combination of an early buyout the company offered, and an unexpected increase in call volume. I'd often have to work 12 days straight before a day off!

In my late teens/early 20s I worked 2 - 3 jobs at a time. And went to college full time.

One summer, I worked 15 hours a day, 6 days a week, for 3 months straight. Carpentry from dawn to dusk, then the grocery store until 10:30 PM to get back up at 5:30 AM and do it all over again.

I thought I was going to make great money. Until I came to the sad realization that I had literally eaten most of my extra income in food to keep myself up and running for so long.

Then when I went back to school, I didn't cut back on the food and I've been trying to work off the pudge ever since. Turns it comes off far harder than it goes on.

Comment

I've had to work extremely long rotations once or twice, that was fun By the time I got to the end of them I was making really silly mistakes. most customers understood though which was good. At HS when I first started working in the weekend I would end up only having one whole day off every fortnight. Wasn't so bad since it was HS, but when it got around to winter I lost that day off to for sports tournaments. I ended up umpiring netball the Sunday's I had off, it was fun though!
      Began work Aug as casual '08
      Ex-coworkers from current place of work: 26ish
      Current co-workers at current place of work: 15ish - yes he just hired 3 more casuals
      Why do I still work there again?

Comment

Yeah, I had worked a job where 48 hours per week was not considered overtime, where everywhere else I had worked, anything above 40 was. It baffled me for the longest time, still does, but nothing we could do about it to change it.
        Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

I used to work in the software industry. During crunch time 100 hours a week was not uncommon.

Yes. Thats 100 hours a week. On the clock.

Luckily it was all hourly, and thus they paid us massive amounts of overtime! Average paycheck was over $2,000 during crunch time. And thats a 2 week paycheck.

Granted there wasn't much time to do, well, anything else at all. But we all knew what we were getting into.

Comment

i did. US Navy. "Overtime is authorized" was a catch phrase I hated.

While underway it was the worst, but we got use to it. Sure we had 12 hour shifts, but the "commute" to berthing was usually no longer than 5 minutes. And we had "holiday routine" on most Sundays & holidays. On my last ship we split shifts in half so that each half only had 6 hours or so, to get some extra rest. (unless the chief &/or divo was pissed about something)

The people who usually got screwed the most... cooks, food service people, and engineers.

Cooks & food service usually got very few days off. When I did my stint, I had every other Saturday & Sunday off in port; no days off underway (but we could sleep in 1 hour on Sunday).

The engineers always had hard hours & work. And if the engines were on? Every single engineer had to be on board.

Comment

I did 9 hour shifts, 7 days a week for 3 months straight once, with a 20 mile trip each way home.

We were closing down a store, but it was phased, so they told all the staff 3 months in advance (10 of us), and that we'd all be transferred to a store up the road (a 5 minute walk). But some staff didn't want to work there, so quit. So we ended up running the store 6am-11pm for 2 months with 6 staff. No fun. And the manager had been found another store so she had to leave too. Leaving me in charge. But one perk was that I got manager salary for the duration until we closed, and no real hard work was needed, because it didn't matter, the store was closing!

Comment

Quoth ShadedWings View Post
                Yeah, I had worked a job where 48 hours per week was not considered overtime, where everywhere else I had worked, anything above 40 was. It baffled me for the longest time, still does, but nothing we could do about it to change it.
                I would check with your state's Dept of Labor on that one...with a few exceptions, anything over 40 hours/wk is considered Overtime, Period. Which job types are exempt from this varies by state, I believe.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thankfully no.

Age 14-15 in MD you were only allowed 40 hours (summertime, if school was in 23 hours).

When I was 16 and working at the warehouse we were only allowed 44 hours a week. If we were going to go over that they would send us home. You could only get close if you had to work Saturdays.

For about a year in 2007 I was working all the time. From 7:30-4 at my day job, then 4:30-6 at the truck parts store.

Shortly after I started at the truck store I had to come in at 6 AM, so I was working 9 1/2 hours at my day job, and then another hour and a half at night, plus 4 hours on Saturday.

Day job eventually told me to stop working overtime (we hired someone so I had no reason to). But they had me coming in at 6 still so I could pick up the new guy at the train station. So I went into my evening job earlier.

The money was nice but I was tired and grumpy. Then we moved and I had to drive out of my way to go to the 2nd job instead of it being on my way so I quit.

Comment

1st 6-8 weeks of each semester when i worked at a univ. text book store. 15-20 hour days, 7 days per week. But we made CRAZY bonuses for the time. I would usually get $2000.00 to $3,000.00 plus my pay which was good for the time also.
                    "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

At the former place of employment, full timers worked 8 hour days, six days a week.
                      Unseen but seeing
                      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                      3rd shift needs love, too
                      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                      X