This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But It's Not 5:00 Here! By Dips

This happened years ago, before I learned never EVER to pick up the phone after 5:00 PM.*

My direct line rang just after 5:00 PM ET (GMT -5:00)(probably because she started dialing random people in the hopes of "getting someone"). I foolishly picked it up and it was a woman looking for tech support on a product we started carrying after merging with our main competitor (this competitor was in Central Time (GMT -6:00) before the merge (which might explain why she thought we were open. Support for that product was (and still is) provided by Darlene, who used to co-own the other company. Darlene had gone home for the day. Here is pretty much how the convo went as far as I can recall. Keep in mind that she was using the most patronizing tone of voice you can imagine:

Me: I'm sorry, but we don't take new tech support calls after 4:45 PM. Would you like to leave a voice mail or call back tomorrow. We open at 9:00 AM eastern time.

SC: Is Darlene still supporting [product]?

Me: Yes. Would you like her voice mail?

SC: Is she still there? She knows me. She'll help me.

Me: She's gone home for the day. We are closed right now.

SC: What time do you close?

Me: We close at 5:00 PM eastern time.

SC: Well. It's only 2:00 PM here and I have to get this project done.

Me: I understand, but we are closed. You can leave a message or you can call back tomorrow. Darlene will be in at 9:00.

SC: I'll call her at home. We're good friends. She'll help me.

Me: Uh.

SC: Give me her home number.

Me: I'm afraid I can't give our employees' home numbers.

SC: You don't understand. She's a good friend. She won't mind.

Me: I still can't do that.

SC: Why not?

Me: It's for privacy reasons.

SC: I just told you. I'm an old friend. She's going to want to help me.

Me: I tell you what. I'll call her at home and let her know you called. Can you give me your number?

SC: I don't understand why you're making this so complicated. It's xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Me: OK. I'll get back to you in a few minutes.

SC: Please hurry. I have a deadline.

So I called Darlene. Wouldn't you know? She knew the lady. It wasn't so much a friendship thing as a God-not-HER-again-won't-she-stop-bugging-us thing.

Anyway, Darlene was in the middle of making dinner so I offered to call the lady back and let her know that Darlene would call her in the morning. I didn't expect it to go well.

Me: I'm afraid Darlene is unable to take your call this evening. She'll be able to call you tomorrow.

SC: What! It's not even 3:00! Is there somebody else who can help me?

Me: Everyone has gone home. As I said, it's after 5:00 PM here and we are closed. Darlene will call you tomorrow.

SC: Well, it's NOT 5:00 PM here!

Me: Our business hours are...

SC: Fine! Darlene better call me first thing! I'm missing my deadline, you know.

Me: All right. I'll let her know.

SC: I mean it!

Me: OK. Have a good evening.

And I managed to hang up before she could restart the cycle.

So I left a message summarizing the unpleasantness and telling Darlene to be sure to call her FIRST THING.

The next morning:

Me: Darlene, did you get my note?

Darlene: Yeah. But I was going to wait a bit. It's 6:00 AM there.

Me: She was very specific. She wanted you to call her FIRST THING.

Darlene: Oh! You're right. I can't let an old friend down, can I?

Woke the bitch up.

The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

*standing ovation*
    Beautifully done
    *flings roses*
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

hmm
      as if it wasnt bad enough, in central time it would have been 4:00, not 2:00, not sure if she lived on the west coast but if so she should be used to the tech support hours being different from her own

Comment

Quoth Ryu View Post
        hmm
        as if it wasnt bad enough, in central time it would have been 4:00, not 2:00, not sure if she lived on the west coast but if so she should be used to the tech support hours being different from her own
        She was in California (Pacific Time/GMT -8:00) and Darlene's former company was in Wisconsin (Cental Time/GMT -6:00). We are in Massachusetts (Eastern Time/GMT -5:00).

And, yes, she used to routinely bitch at them about the time difference too. After all, the entitled mind knows no boundaries of time or space.
        Last edited by Dips; 04-26-2007, 03:28 PM.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay for Darlene!!!!!!!!
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

i figured she probably did, but one would hope after a period of time she would eventually learn to accept the difference, but i guess i expect too much from people

Comment

Working...
            X