This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it?

Sucky situation ahead, but not a specific customer.

Why is it that when a business is going out of business EVERYONE decides to show up?

That's what I'm dealing with my restaurant right now. Last week we had 2 all time record sales days. I've got a feeling we'll be doing it again this - the final - week.

The thing is, if they would have even been showing half the love we're getting right now, we would be able to keep the doors open, and I would have been able to take paychecks this year, instead of living off my savings.

Oh, well, 1 more week.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Discounts and bargains. That's why.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

I've found that it reminds people that they didn't go there enough when they could, so they go and get one last visit in to make them feel a little better. Kind of a "Sorry we didn't help keep you in business. Here is a little something to hopefully help you until you find other work"

Comment

There's also that rarity/novel factor. When a new place opens up, there's the rush to see the new thing. When it's about to close for good, "OMGZ! Must partake while it's still here! Last Chance!"

Comment

Yeah, I do know all of that. I was just ranting a lot.

Also, another rant: why the hell do they think I'm going to retire? Yeah, I'm able to retire, because I've made SOOOOOOO much money doing this. That's why I drive a 22 year old car, and live in a very cheap rent apartment.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I am so sorry this is happening to you. I've followed your COVID induced slide from the start and have always hoped things would turn around.

Do you have any plans past next week? Remember to apply for whatever unemployment and other assistance you can right away because nothing will happen until you do and that things will be slower than usual.

I am so sorry.

Comment

As an aside for anyone else in said situation (US, at least) – If you need to apply for UE, go ahead and apply for SNAP/food stamps while yer at it; if you qualify for one, you likely qualify for the other. That, and a number of states have been doing something unexpected, with no fanfare I know of: For single recipients, at least, they've been sending out the monthly maximum benefit amount since at least May, possibly April (presumably due to the plague), even if you would normally get less. E.g. I'm on Disability, and being on that/on Social Sec normally means you get a whopping huge $12/month for SNAP (even if you're well under the income cap). I've been getting the monthly max amount (192? 196?) since then. Said amount apparently increased a bit this month.

Also, for those with school-age kids who would normally not qualify for SNAP, a temporary food benefit is also available.

Info here: https://www.fns.usda.gov/news-item/fns-001420
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I actually have a job lined up at Fed Ex already. It's a seasonal job, but it will be a good change. Also our food rep. at the company where we get our supplies said if I need a job, he'd be very willing to help.

I'm also not really hurting for money - my emergency fund still has about 3 months - 4 if I'm really frugal - in it.

Comment

Something really cool happened, or will happen tomorrow.

The Mayor of our city stopped in today, to get lunch, and let me know that tomorrow he's going to proclaim it's <RESTAURANT> day in the city. It's in honor of the 8 decades this restaurant has been serving the people of the city, and area. He will be bringing the proclamation over tomorrow.

I'm in total shock.

Comment

What an honor!
                    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                      The Mayor of our city stopped in today, to get lunch, and let me know that tomorrow he's going to proclaim it's <RESTAURANT> day in the city.
                      Does he know you're closing?
                      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                      Save the Ales!
                      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                        Does he know you're closing?
                        Oh, yes, he does. There was a big article in the local newspaper yesterday, and also it's been in the news on the local radio stations.

I've also known him for 30 years.

He decided to come back tonight to drop off the official Proclamation, and have dinner also at the same time.

Comment

And it's all over. Yesterday was the last day.

When you do over a weeks worth of sales in one day, you know it's busy beyond belief.

Now the clean up, and out begins.

My 25 years in the restaurant business are over, and a new chapter in my life starts.

Comment

I am sad for you and the restaurant I have never visited. So many things are being lost and lives are changing forever.

Eating out is expensive, so we used to only do it every 2 weeks. Once the world ended, we started "eating out" once a week in the hopes that we were helping places stay afloat. Many people didn't have the resources for that, and soooo many wonderful places are gone forever.

OTOH, as busy as you were running that place, your new Fed Ex job will seem like a vacation because you will be doing so much sitting down and driving time. (HA! I totally know better, but I'm trying to be encouraging.)

Comment

Working...
                            X