No announcement yet.

The Coronavirus Panic Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, no one freaked out when I sneezed on the bus today, but I was several feet from any other passenger anyway .

Sups were going around at irk distributing desk wipes. Apparently, Hades Annex is also setting up emergency text blasts as well, which is something they haven't done in the four years I've been with this company, three at this site (sob). A friend of mine commented on it to me, and I hadn't gotten it. Made sure that HR has my correct cell phone number on file (surprised they apparently didn't already).
    "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
      Well, no one freaked out when I sneezed on the bus today, but I was several feet from any other passenger anyway .
      I always sneeze into the crook of my elbow when in a public place surrounded by people (or at work), but if I'm in a middle of a vast parking lot or walking down the street with no one in my immediate vicinity, I just let it fly.

Comment

We're good on toilet paper as of when I left work tonight, but we're completely out of wipes now, and we've had to put quantity limits on a few things.

We're almost out of cases of bottled water, though, and our next truckload isn't until late tomorrow night, so we're definitely going to sell out tomorrow morning. That's one that's got me baffled - do people think coronavirus is going to make their faucets stop working?

We've also had a run on foil seasoning packets of all things. I guess people aren't going to let a pandemic stand in the way of Taco Tuesday.

Comment

I don't get the bottled water thing either. Unless by "infected droplets" people think it can be transmitted if someone sneezes while washing the dishes (and the virus will somehow magically evade the water treatment systems)...
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I think it's more "I don't want to leave the house for any reason" hoarding of non-perishable essentials.

Comment

We just got a message that due to "travel restrictions and decreased tourist traffic" hours are going to be "re-examined" and they're going to be working off of scheduling needs rather than actual employee availability. I don't mind starting later in the morning (the earliest I could get to work is 8AM due to transit stupidity, getting tired of constantly texting my manager reminding him that I can't come in at 7) but I have evening classes now which means I can't work later than my stated availability--as in Not Happening, unless the company will reimburse me for the classes that I won't be able to keep up with (also Not Happening).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Just saw a news story that Apple is telling 12,000 employees in Silicon Valley to work from home. Wish I could do that ... but it's kinda hard being a cashier from the other side of the city.
                Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
                ~ Mr Hero

Comment

I'm a little worried about infrastructure collapse if the virus spreads more. Not so much the actual virus.

Right now I'm doing nothing more than the usual stuff recommended to avoid disease.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Pixelated View Post
                    Myself, I'm doing what I did in the Y2K panic: buying a few cans of this and that (stuff I intend to eat at some point no matter what) in case I have to go into quarantine with my cats (hmmm, should probably get some extra kibble and litter too) but otherwise not worrying about it. I've already got dried legumes and pasta and rice and in a pinch can whomp *something* up for a quick meal.

Oh, and let's not forget my alcohol supply ...
                    Like I have posted before, we do the mega shopping and get the oh my god sized packs of toilet paper, paper towel and snarf tissues - each of our homes has at least one case of each. We tend to do a vast majority of our cooking from scratch, and that tends to be the stuff not snarfled up by shopping-looters. We are just getting our 3 month supply of medications on or about the 10th and can huddle in place at either of our homes at need. We also get cat supplies at the megamart in huge quantities [I think I have about 12 cases of gushi-fud and we just got the 25 pound sack of crunchies. We have a kitty flushi with extra fluid so they are good to go =) ]

Quoth Smapti View Post

We've also had a run on foil seasoning packets of all things. I guess people aren't going to let a pandemic stand in the way of Taco Tuesday.
                    If that is what is important to you =)
                    Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    I'm a little worried about infrastructure collapse if the virus spreads more. Not so much the actual virus.

Right now I'm doing nothing more than the usual stuff recommended to avoid disease.
                    My immune system is still thrashed, so we are taking a few more precautions than normal - normally I had the constitution of an ox, rarely got stuff other than a weakness to strep and a tendency for rhinoviruses to roll into full on pneumonia, I rarely ever got digestive issues [went to an SCA feast where we all ate the same stuff, and perhaps a dozen people out of the 150 or so diners were spared the shits. All of us shared the same iron stomachs.]

I wonder what my oncology office would do if I showed up in a wet suit with scott airpack =) What is scary is I actually have my own airpac =)
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Annnnd now we're out of rubbing alcohol too, from people making their own sanitizer. I put out our last box a couple hours ago and they're aleady gone and people are asking about it. Joy!

Comment

Today's panic-buy WTF: Lynx (Axe) Body Spray.

Went through the shops today and noticed the shelves were almost entirely stripped bare of that. Not that I need it or anything - my SO prefers normal deodorant.

Comment

Last night at work I answered the phone fully expecting the mask/sanitizer questions and was met with "Do you have turkey bacon on sale?" Didn't matter, the store was out of it anyway.

I rang up this couple tonight and they were buying aloe vera and alcohol. The wife said to the husband "Are you trying not to laugh at me?" He said no...but...he was. People gotta do what they gotta do.
                          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Despina83 View Post
                            Annnnd now we're out of rubbing alcohol too, from people making their own sanitizer. I put out our last box a couple hours ago and they're aleady gone and people are asking about it. Joy!
                            Oh, we sold out of that days ago. We've even run out of Everclear now.

The water delivery we were supposed to get last night no-showed on us. We've still got Aquafina and Dasani, but we're sold out of our store brand.

We're running low on our store brand of TP, but we still have plenty of brand name stuff. One of our CS clerks has taken to answering the phone with "[Name of Store] [Location], [Name] speaking, yes we have toilet paper". We've also been fielding a lot of calls from elderly customers (of which we have many as there are several retirement communities near the Store) checking to see if we're still open 24 hours, because they want to come and shop while the Store is empty.

Comment

Quoth LadyofArc View Post
                              Today's panic-buy WTF: Lynx (Axe) Body Spray.

Went through the shops today and noticed the shelves were almost entirely stripped bare of that. Not that I need it or anything - my SO prefers normal deodorant.
                              Well, maybe they figure if they smell like that crap then nobody will want to be within six feet of them. Sounds like a good enough plan to me.

I went to Costco this weekend and pretty much every single person had two packages of toilet paper, which is of course limit two person membership. All I could think was, after a while, won't they stop buying it because their house is literally full of toilet paper?? I know, I'm being too logical, huh? It looks like even though the big stores have very bare TP shelves, they aren't completely out. They're getting stock in like normal and so if I needed some right now (I don't) I could still get it.

Though people are certainly panic buying, the majority aren't freaking out. I was watching at the stores to see if I felt anything different, remember I live in the state that has the most cases and the most deaths so far, and honestly... It's fine. Costco had a quieter feeling, like people just had their heads down and were on a mission. But our Costco is like a war-zone in the best of times, so it's hard to judge.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Well, maybe they figure if they smell like that crap then nobody will want to be within six feet of them
                                QFT!

Our local grocery was only out of the one brand of TP that was on special really cheap; otherwise they were pretty well-stocked. Benefit of living in a place with only 25K total people in the metro area, I guess...?
                                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
                                X