This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dental work

I had to go to the dentist to fix three scratched teeth. Scratched because I forgot to brush up and down for six months. Anyway, I hate the pain, so he gave me a lot of freezing; so much that it took five hours for it to wear off.

This is not the first time, either. Seems I never learn.

Anyway, what dental work did you have done? My mom had crowns, and I also had new fillings and old fillings replaced. My dad wears dentures because he doesn't take good care of his teeth.

Thanks!
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

I have something they call amelogenesis imperfecta, which is just fancy words for 'my enamel is fucked up'. It is pitted and stains easily, so I got acrylic veneers as a teenager, six of them on the top (the ones you see when I smile) and had them replaced in my early 20s. Well, I'm 36 now, they've outlived their normal life of 10 years or so, and are starting to yellow. One has actually popped off a couple times, revealing that my original tooth has been very filed down, is super sensitive and is coffee colored (YUCK). But most insurance companies consider veneers to be aesthetic, and won't pay for them. Very few dentists do acrylic veneers anymore, it's all about porcelain veneers now- which cost around $950. Per tooth.

So I guess I have to deal with people thinking I'm a smoker or something. Unless I discover I'm secretly the princess of a prosperous small European country.

The actual veneer process takes hours and hours and I had it done over several days. I mostly remember being bored, not much pain.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

The back two teeth both upper and lower, are mostly fillings. It's not much to do with my dental care, so much as what kept happening when the teeth were forming. I had one filling in a canine, which they had to deaden me up so much that I couldn't feel my sinus. I loved not feeling my sinus for a while.

I had one tooth crowned, because it cracked and not visibly, but enough that when I bit down on that side, it HURT. If it got hit with hot or cold, it HURT. Nothing wrong with the nerve, so they decided to just crown it.

Had two wisdom teeth cut out. One upper and one lower, neither fully formed. There simply wasn't room for them to form and they were the only two I had. I remember watching the ceiling tiles as they twilighted me. The last thing I remember is them spinning and thinking, "So this is what it's like.." and the next thing was the nurse "waking" me so I could stumble between her and my mom to the car. I also remember being told not to sneeze because the upper one was dangerously near my sinus cavity and sneezing would have been a very bad thing.
      If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

I've had several stubborn teeth pulled, though I never got my wisdom teeth out and they've never bothered me. I also had something called a Herbst appliance that pushed my jaw forward and held it there until my muscles could do the job themselves.

I had braces for several years and I suspect that I was allergic to the metal that was in them, as I had blisters in my mouth almost constantly. They were also applied improperly, with my lower front brackets actually applied UNDER my gums, five years later and they're STILL swollen in places and my gum line has receded quite a bit. Hopefully, when Hub's dental insurance for me kicks in in a couple months, I can get them looked at.

And an oddity I wanted to share- my sister-in-law's lower right canine developed sideways (pointing towards the front of her mouth instead of up) and it hasn't pushed through the skin. I saw the X-ray of it and it's actually really creepy!
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I've had four adult teeth pulled to help my braces align my other teeth.

I've had a bracket replaced because I ate peanut brittle with braces on.

I've had mouthguards fitted for my sensitive teeth. I no longer wear them because they bother me when I try to sleep.

I've had cavities filled with both silver and porcelain fillings. My dentist also has a new flouride that comes in a foam, rather than a gel or paste.
          cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Two teeth out on the top so that there would be room to bring my front teeth back to a more normal alignment with braces. Unfortunately the orthodontist was incompetent as well as sadistic* as he left a large gap on the left hand side, so I go through a lot of cocktail sticks prying out bits of meat or fruit skin from the gap.

* He used to leave the ends of the wire sticking out at a 90 degree angle so they'd slice up the insides of my cheeks; the first thing I did when I got home was use scissors to bend the wire back. He also refused to use the little elastic bands, so the blocks would grate the inside of my lips (I still have ridges scarred in there). At my check-ups he used to brush my teeth so violently that my head would ricochet repeatedly off of the back of the chair.

Upper right wisdom tooth out as it came through at about a 55 degree angle and started trying to escape by carving through my cheek. The inside of my mouth didn't fare well, did it?

Three fillings; one top and one bottom due to decay caused by regularly throwing up at the taste of toothpaste, until I found one I could tolerate. The third on the top right incisor; I managed to take the edge and some of the front enamel off when gripping my keys in my teeth while trying to sort through them one-handed (I was recovering from a wrist op to correct carpal tunnel at the time). Eventually I'll either have to get it out and get falsies or have a crown; the filling is very delicate, so I have to replace it every five or six years, which means the dentist has to drill away just a little bit more of the tooth.

Lately I've been using a bicarbonate of soda based toothpaste as the scrubby bits in standard fluoride toothpastes are too harsh; I'm a bit heavy handed when brushing, and I was beginning to damage the enamel on my teeth.
            "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Working...
            X