Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apathy and projectiles (Long. You knew it would be.)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apathy and projectiles (Long. You knew it would be.)

I have not posted in a while, because I really had nothing postworthy. Frightening, yes?

A LITTLE MILD LANGUAGE, NOT TOO BAD

These first two SC's saw right through my veneer of concern to the cold, hard varnish of apathy lurking beneath. I need to try a little harder.

You don't care! part I

One of my retail counter co-irkers called in today with a fierce case of anal glaucoma, So I was asked to fill in for an hour. Ugh.

Me: Slipping into alcoholism
    EW: Entitlement whore
    PB: Poor Bastard of a husband
    PM: Parts Manager

Me: Can I help you?
    EW: Yes, I need to return this. One of your idiots sold me the wrong part!

Yes, she said that. We're off to a great start.

Me: Let me take a look.
    EW: Why didn't he sell me the right one? Your job is not hard!

Come closer so I can slap you.

Me: Do you have your VIN?
    EW: I don't want a new one! I already had another shop put in a new part for me since the idiot you work with sold me the wrong part!
    Me: Ma'am, please stop calling him an idiot. Mistakes happen. Let me see your receipt.
    EW: I don't have a receipt, and I will call him whatever I want! I AM THE CUSTOMER!
    PB: Honey, calm down. This is not necessary. <EW ignores this. I don't think it was the first time.>

At this point my manager comes into play. He was standing around the corner listening.

PM: Ma'am, I'm the manager. What can I help you with?
    EW: Good! This asshole doesn't know what he's doing!<points at me>

Keep in mind I have only asked her for her VIN and receipt at this point, nothing more. I haven't said no to her return request, I haven't been rude.

PM: That kind of language is unnecessary. Jaded did nothing wrong, I was listening.
    EW: I will call him whatever I want! I AM THE CUSTOMER!
    PB: Honey! Please calm down!
    EW: I will not! They are not treating me with respect!
    PM: Yes we are ma'am. I heard you say you don't have a receipt. It is our policy not to accept returns without one. When did you purchase this part?
    EW: I have my canceled check right here! THIS IS A RECEIPT!<no it's not>

PM looks at the canceled check, and I see his eyes get a little bigger. The check was dated over a year ago.

PM: Ma'am, you purchased this part last summer. I'm afraid their is nothing I can do for you. This is well past our timeframe for returns even if you had a receipt.

EW goes ballistic. We were called everything but free, white, and over 21. PM started to raise his voice to be heard over her when PB grabs his wife by the arm and drags her out.

Me:
    PM:

After about a minute or two PB comes back in looking like he was about to cry.

PB: Is there anything you can do? I am so sorry for the way she is acting.
    PM: What I am about to do I have absolutely no obligation to do, but I will refund you our cost on this part. That is all I will do.
    PB: That's fine. I'm so sorry about her behavior.

After PB left I looked out the window and saw the license plate on their car. I cross checked it in our service database and they had a service record with us, which meant I had their VIN. I ran it and checked the part she was sold, IT WAS CORRECT! She either got hosed by another shop or was trying to pull a scam.

PB has the patience of a saint. I would have choked this woman a long time ago.

You don't care! part II

I had to leave a note for one of the service writers today since he was at lunch. I went out to his desk and scrawled a quick note on a Post-it. I was there for all of about 5 seconds when this douchenozzle walks in the door and past two other service writers to talk to me. Why? WHY?

DN: Douchenozzle
    Me: Oh Bloody 'ell!

DN: I have an appointment to get my car worked on. The <goes into an insipid monologue of what's wrong with his shitbox Cavalier>
    Me: I'm sorry, sir. I'm not a service writer, I was just leaving a note here. Any one of these other gentlemen will be happy to help you.

Not so sucky, right? Simple misunderstanding, right? Up to this point, yes. But wait, there's more!!

DN: Who's your manager? You don't care about me!
    Me: <oh shit> Sir, I would be happy to help you if I was a writer. I am not and therefore not authorized to check in your car. Come with me, I'll get L to help you. <It should be noted that DN walked past L to get to me.>
    DN follows me over to L and I told L that he needed to check in his car for an appointment.

L: Sure, I'll take care of that.
    DN: He's an asshole! He wouldn't help me!
    L:
    Me: <to DN> L will get you taken care of. Have a great day!<prick>

Seriously, WTF?

Caution, may fling parts

Me: Wanting a beer
    PFC: Parts-Flinging-Cockmonkey

Me: Sir, can I help you?
    PFC: I need a drain plug.
    Me: Engine or transmission?
    PFC: Engine.
    Me: Sure, let me grab that for you.<scampers off>
    Me: Here you go, is there anything else I can get you?
    PFC: <examines drain plug, then throws it at me!> This is used! I want a new one!
    Me: Did you just throw that at me?
    PFC: NEW ONE! NEW!

Our drain plugs are shipped from the source in a bag of 10. In transit the rub around on each other in a little drain plug orgy and dull the finish. They all look the same.

Me: Hang on a second.

I went into the back and grabbed an unopened bag of drain plugs, came back and opened them in front of him and dumped them on the counter.

Me: Pick the best one.
    PFC: Oh........I thought the other one was used.
    Me: We're not a wrecking yard, all of our parts are new. Thanks for throwing one at me.

Drain plugs are usually about $5. His cost about $8. Revenge is sweet.

I need a new line of work.
    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Yeah, I'm sorry, but once someone threw something at me, I'd be hard-pressed not to throw the next one back at them.

Also, this:
    EW goes ballistic. We were called everything but free, white, and over 21.
    is hilarious.
    "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

I would've lost my cool on all of those scenarios especially the scenario involving the PFC. I'd like the drain plug right in the middle of their forehead and laugh hysterically.

Comment

Maybe that guy was mistaking the plug you tried to sell him for the one up his butt.

That first guy, I just don't know It must be so hard to function when your genitalia have been in the freezer so long they are now freeze dried. Geez. That's probablly the first time that poor bastard's opened his mouth in the last decade or so.

Tragic.

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
          Me: Pick the best one.
          PFC: Oh........I thought the other one was used.
          Me: We're not a wrecking yard, all of our parts are new. Thanks for throwing one at me.
          As a parts guy, I'm really annoyed with this customer. I know that there is a significant difference between most new parts and most used parts. But two things come to mond really quick here:

1) It's a drain plug--it's a simple part, it doesn't really matter if it is new or used. The finish doesn't matter, either, because it's buried under the vehicle.
          2) While this may be different in other places, all of the wrecker yards around her would rather keep the engine whole and sell it for big bucks, as opposed to cannabilizing it and having bits and pieces for an engine here and there.
          I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

errr.... ok im old an jaded now....
            Because i think the first was a scam.
            By both characters.
            I think EW was suppose to make a scene and get you all riled up while PB was suppose to make you think he was a good guy, and then PB goes in for the kill, and scams out of any mone that can be had.

Comment

Quoth Spiffy McMoron View Post

1) It's a drain plug--it's a simple part, it doesn't really matter if it is new or used. The finish doesn't matter, either, because it's buried under the vehicle.
              2) While this may be different in other places, all of the wrecker yards around her would rather keep the engine whole and sell it for big bucks, as opposed to cannabilizing it and having bits and pieces for an engine here and there.
              I agree 100% on both. Most wrecking yards would tell you to get stuffed if you came in looking for a drain plug. The pick-a-part places may not care, but the regular ones surely will.

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
              errr.... ok im old an jaded now....
              By both characters.
              I think EW was suppose to make a scene and get you all riled up while PB was suppose to make you think he was a good guy, and then PB goes in for the kill, and scams out of any mone that can be had.
              I'm almost positive it was a scam, too. But since it wasn't my decision I can sleep OK.

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                By both characters.
                Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
                I'm almost positive it was a scam, too. But since it wasn't my decision I can sleep OK.
                That was my thought, too. And while I won't be losing any sleep, it still gets me a bit steamed that they basically walked in and stole money from you and your manager let them.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I can only think of two occasions of customers throwing things at people at my store, and they both ended with the cashiers just about coming across the register. LOTS of swearing. Funnily enough, they were at least front end managers, not ordinary cashiers.

Comment

and it's always so surprising when service workers freak out and waste their customers or coworkers

Comment

Quoth LizaMarie View Post
                      and it's always so surprising when service workers freak out and waste their customers or coworkers
                      Not to me. I always think, "Wow, he/she must have been pissed.

Comment

Funny, I usually just wish I'd been there with a big tub of popcorn... I wouldn't do it, but I can live vicariously, right?
                        If ignorance is bliss, no wonder I'm so unhappy.

Comment

Quoth myswtghst View Post
                          Yeah, I'm sorry, but once someone threw something at me, I'd be hard-pressed not to throw the next one back at them.
                          Screw that. I would have returned fire...with an alternator, muffler, engine block...you get the idea
                          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Kinda makes you wonder if customers with a bad case of suckitis venture into gun stores. After all, this is the one place where the clerk is normally packing heat. And try throwing that box of ammo back at him screaming I wanted 357 not whatever would be similar. Clerk *draws, points, shoots, remembers that he forget to replace the mop the last time this happened*
                            My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
                              Kinda makes you wonder if customers with a bad case of suckitis venture into gun stores. After all, this is the one place where the clerk is normally packing heat. And try throwing that box of ammo back at him screaming I wanted 357 not whatever would be similar. Clerk *draws, points, shoots, remembers that he forget to replace the mop the last time this happened*
                              Nope, rarely happens in gun stores. Gun owners are more aware of the stigma that goes with firearms, and often will go out of their way to be nicer. Even people who are normally SCs who go into a gun shop usually realize that the owner is likely packing. Gun nuts who want to have a little SC power trip will go someplace like the Wal-Mart hunting counter, where the employees are not allowed to carry, or keep a loaded hand cannon under the counter.

Remember: "An armed society is a polite society."
                              The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                              "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                              Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                              X