This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I schooled a couple old enough to be my parents

because I didn't know what else to say. I'm admitting my own suck in this, as I should've not said anything at all, though sometimes people think that's rude.

I was checking them out when they felt it necessary to tell me it looked like someone had had a heart attack in the mall food court. I didn't really say anything, just nodded and mumbled an "mmhmm". They didn't take the hint that I didn't want to talk about it and kept on. The woman said at some point "...and in our nice mall.." I thought Is he profaning our nice mall with his medical emergency? Should he go somewhere else to have his heart attack?
    Then I said what I shouldn't: "I don't like to get involved in things like that because that's someone's medical stuff and that's private, you know?" Well, they didn't know because they looked shocked. And I went further and said "I don't need to know about it." What I really meant was that they shouldn't be talking about this person's mishap. I wouldn't want the whole mall talking about me if something happened and I've had people press me for information on my own med issues that I don't want to give out to everyone. All they could do was answer a bewildered "Have a good day" or something. They stopped to look at their receipt before they left. I suppose I'll have a negative comment on the survey.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I think your Sig sums that exchange up quite nicely.

Comment

It's clearly something they're putting in the water there. I imagine you go through your days feeling like "Rowdy" Roddy Piper in John Carpenter's alien invasion flick They Live...

"We've got one that can SEE!"

Or maybe that's me I'm thinking of!

"We sleep, they live."
      "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
      --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
        "...and in our nice mall.."
        I'll be honest, I don't know how I would've responded to this awful comment. I'm not confrontational, nor am I on-the-spot witty. I think I would've said "That's terrible, I hope he was okay." And if they had a lick of sense, they would murmur agreement and be on their way.
        A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

I should've said "I don't think he chose to have it here...." Well, I'm sure that'd be considered rude by these people.

Comment

"...and in our nice mall.."
            My first thought was "what's that supposed to mean?" No idea if I would have said it. Maybe I'd still be reeling over the fact that this random couple just started a conversation on the premise that I looked like a person who had a heart attack. Who says that kind of thing? "Oh hi, you look like this girl I saw who got hit by a car." If your incredibly mild comment shocked them so much they must be very sheltered.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

No, they were talking about some guy who supposedly had one in the mall, not me. I don't know why they needed to talk about someone they didn't know with someone else they didn't know, though.

Comment

No, they were talking about some guy who supposedly had one in the mall, not me. I don't know why they needed to talk about someone they didn't know with someone else they didn't know, though.
                Oops, I totally read your post as "they felt it necessary to tell me someone looked like me had had a heart attack." Don't ask me why. Now it goes from being super weird, to being just plain old gossip. There's a CW of mine who used to see something, then run all over the store to tell every single other employee about it. I finally cut her off as she was hurrying up with her gossip (that I had just heard her tell another CW) "I don't want to hear about it, okay?"

Comment

"I'm pretty sure he would rather have not had a heart attack at all. I do hope he got the medical attention he needed and is okay." I mean, who the heck schedules a heart attack and plans the location of it?! Oh, wait... these two probably would, just to make it a dramatic as possible.
                  If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Quoth raudf View Post
                    I mean, who the heck schedules a heart attack and plans the location of it?! Oh, wait... these two probably would, just to make it a dramatic as possible.
                    Now that I've had a bit to think about it, it has to be the Midwestern Isolation Mentality. These people are genuinely shocked whenever anything bad happens. My friend calls them "fiercely contented." They just cannot conceive that someone might die in their presence, rob them, etc. Nothing bad has ever happened to them. They probably leave their car running with the doors unlocked. They probably don't lock their front door when they're home. They just have no clue what can happen. Here's an example: my stepmom, who was born and raised in a small town in WI, didn't know about Sept. 11th until Sept. 13th. Really, she had no idea anything bad had happened. She's pretty representative of her cohorts.

Comment

Here's an example: my stepmom, who was born and raised in a small town in WI, didn't know about Sept. 11th until Sept. 13th. Really, she had no idea anything bad had happened. She's pretty representative of her cohorts.
                      Whaa? I live on the opposite side of the country, and I heard about it on the radio while getting ready for school when only the first plane had hit and they still thought it was an accident. So I must have heard within 15 minutes. Did they not notice the lack of planes in the sky?? We lived under the flight path for a small airfield that that was bar none the weirdest thing, for it to be so silent. Sorry, weirded out over here.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        Whaa? I live on the opposite side of the country, and I heard about it on the radio while getting ready for school when only the first plane had hit and they still thought it was an accident. So I must have heard within 15 minutes. Did they not notice the lack of planes in the sky?? We lived under the flight path for a small airfield that that was bar none the weirdest thing, for it to be so silent. Sorry, weirded out over here.
                        I live on the other side of the world and we were hearing about it in near real-time from security on the front desk as things developed. We were all put on high alert; I was temping at the Magistrate's Court at the time and, since I lived in a major airport town, the worry was that it was the first in a series of planned attacks across the Western world.
                        "It is traditional when asking for help or advice to listen to the answers you receive" - RealUnimportant

Rev that Engine Louder, I Can't Hear How Small Your Dick Is - Jay 2K Winger

The Darwin Awards The best site to visit to restore your faith in instant karma.

Comment

Did she not own a TV? It would have been impossible to have the TV on that day and not hear about it.

Comment

Quoth siskaren View Post
                            Did she not own a TV? It would have been impossible to have the TV on that day and not hear about it.
                            Yes, she does. She didn't have it on those 2 days. I'm telling y'all, there are a lot of small-town people here who see no need to be concerned what's going on in the outside world. She's since changed, but I still know of other people who are like that.

Comment

Yes, she does. She didn't have it on those 2 days. I'm telling y'all, there are a lot of small-town people here who see no need to be concerned what's going on in the outside world. She's since changed, but I still know of other people who are like that.

Wisconsinites.
                              "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                              --StanFlouride

Comment

Working...
                              X