This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cell phones at the checkout

No doubt this has been discussed, at length here before.
    I think people have moved the goalposts on what they
    consider to be rude behavior, because it seems more
    people are doing it.
    Personally, I think they can spare 30 seconds from their
    endlessly fascinating life to get off the damn phone so
    they can get checked out. The cashier and the people in
    line have valuable things to do with their time too.

Try people on their phones in a drive thru.

I just want to go out there and throttle them.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

People on their phones anywhere that the phone keeps them from interacting properly with the person right in front of them.

Walked out on a date once, because the jockass couldn't stay off his phone.

Comment

This is why I love places that have signs up specifically calling people out for this -- mostly independent stores/restaurants. E.g. One in NOLA has the signs in front of the registers explicitly telling people to step out of the line (temporarily) if they need to use their phones. They enforce it, too!
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I can do passive aggressive things to people who are to busy talking on their cell phones to pay attention to me. If I call their number (we don't call names to protect privacy, we give them a number, tell them to listen for their number and when their number is called will ring a bell and hold up a board with the number and yell out the number 3 times.) and they don't answer, I can No Show them and move on to another customer.

If they are in my cube and I'm asking them questions "OK, you just left this job, do you have a phone number I can call to verify that?" and they are too busy with their phone, I just give them a form for their ex-employer to fill out and sign.

"Can you tell me about your expenses?" No reply because they are talking to their besty? OK, not a problem, no expense exemption.

I've had more than one person look confused when I have them sign the forms that explain what they need to do to get their food stamps because they expected that they could just sit down and play with their phones while I'm telling them what is needed.

I get timed for every interview, I don't have time to repeat myself when someone isn't involved in the process.

Now, lest you folks think that I'm heartless...if someone is involved and doesn't understand, I'll spend a LOT of time explainging what is needed. I'm only required to make one call for verification, but I'll keep calling during the interview. I'll do what I can to help people, but if they are too busy talking to their besty to help me...well, I just don't care.

Comment

Quoth Slave to the Phone View Post
            Now, lest you folks think that I'm heartless...if someone is involved and doesn't understand, I'll spend a LOT of time explainging what is needed. I'm only required to make one call for verification, but I'll keep calling during the interview. I'll do what I can to help people, but if they are too busy talking to their besty to help me...well, I just don't care.
            Sheesh, not heartless. If a person can't get off their phone in order to get food stamps, maybe they don't want them. I just don't speak to people on their phones except to loudly ask how much fabric they want. I don't double check the amount or say have a good day, both of which I normally would. If they miss their number due to being on the phone I will make sure to tell them that I did call the number, loudly enough that other customers can hear.
            Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

I admit to one exception to my "no phone" rule when I'm at a cashier's till. This happened last week, actually. If I'm paying for somehthing and the phone rings and it's the doctors from the hospital where my kid is currently an inpatient, I'm gonna answer it. I will also apologize to the cashier for being rude. If I'm not already mid-check out, and I feel a call is important enough to answer, I step out of line.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Customers who are polite enough to acknowledge the cashier and, if necessary, step aside to allow other customers to be helped, are not a problem, IMO. It's the ones who are so mesmerized by the precious phone that their world narrows to that device that are a problem.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

I don't go out of my way to make them hear me, just proceed as normal after repeating myself once. If they forget to give me their card/coupons in a timely manner (once a card transaction has been dumped to the pinpad, entering anything else is a hassle as I have to cancel payment and have them yell about swiping the card again), that's their problem.

If someone is being particularly obnoxious (finger-waving, etc when I'm trying to ask them something) I'll just stop what I'm doing and wait. I know transactions are timed, but I can't do anything about SC-related holdups anyway... If I'm lucky, the next customer in line will call them out.
                  "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                  "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

I was standing behind a woman in a bank line once who was having a spirited conversation. I was trying not to eavesdrop (not that I cared) but then she snapped, "Do you mind? I'm on the phone!" at me. Then she got up to the teller, who told her point blank that he wouldn't serve her as long as she was on the phone, and referenced a huge sign behind his head to that effect. She got very nasty with him, so he called the branch manager over, who backed him up 100%. So, she hung up, transacted her business, then stalked away. I heard her say, "Yeah, it's me. You wouldn't believe how rude these people..." and then she was out of earshot. I caught the teller's eye and gave him a thumb's up, and he gave me a big grin.

I'm also right with the person upstream who said they walked out on a date who wouldn't quit talking on his phone. Back when I was dating phones weren't widely available so I never had this issue (had plenty of others, though). I'm fine with calls about medical issues, e.g. a call from a doctor about a patient or lab tests. I'm fine with a call from a babysitter. I'm even fine with a call from a mechanic about a car. But I'm not fine with curse-filled arguments in front of me or even in the next booth. Had that happen once when I went to lunch - the woman in the booth between me and a booth with a grandpa and some grandkids began a loud curse-filled argument on her phone. The grandpa flagged down a manager, and the manager told the woman to hang up or leave. She left, cursing as she headed for the door. I think people get so wrapped up in their conversations that they forget where they are and that they're surrounded by strangers who really don't want to hear it.

Comment

I remember once I was talking to a friend who was asking me for help with her math class. I was almost croaking like a frog from a dry throat so I swing into a gas station to get a soda. As I was walking up to the register I told my friend "hang on for a minute, I need to pay for this", then physically set my phone down. The look on the cashiers face was priceless. I'm kind of sad that simple courtesy made somebody smile like that. It should be standard.
                      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I've toyed with the idea of offering unsolicited advice. Too much of a chicken-shit though.
                        "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

I've told this story before, and I'll share it again, because it still boggles my mind to this day.

I was at the wholesale club, and having gotten some static from these rude warbling chatterboxes before for daring to interrupt their phone call to tell them their total or to ask them a question about their order, as the next one approached, I made the conscious decision not to say anything to them.

When their total was displayed, I got their attention and pointed to the screen, and handed them their copy of the receipt to sign without saying a word, and they never once interrupted their conversation on the phone to say anything to me.

Except, as they were getting ready to sign the receipt, they finally hung up the phone, and as they prepared to leave, they looked at me and said, "You know, you're the rudest cashier I've ever had? You didn't say one word to me the entire time!"

And then they walked off while my brain struggled to reboot after that logic bomb hit me.
                          PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

I admit to being just b*tchy enough to smile really big and tell customers who have their phones grafted to their ears:

Oh, no, that sounds important. I can wait until you're done with your call to write up your order.

I'm NOT attempting to get their order while they're running their mouth to someone else and then have to remake the order because they weren't paying attention. Not. Happening.

Comment

In ages past, people were not nearly as 'connected' as they are today. No social media, cell phones, texting, etc. And we got along just fine, thank you. I've no idea what's s compelling about having an electronic device practically glued to one's head 24/7. 'Cause let's face it, people. Life really can't be THAT interesting that we need to be in contact with everyone else ALL THE DAMNED TIME.

When I'm finished with my hot rod, cell phones will be verboten.

Comment

Working...
                              X