This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Jacen View Post
    Just about every store in this country does that. America does not?
    Sadly, no. With different tax rates in every city, plus the fact that in the states we tax the total sum of all charges as opposed to each item seperately.

But I should point out that the woman in question was from the American southwest and had her account for 4 years, so even if she did originally come from somewhere else, she's been here long enough to know better.
    "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth PaRaGaS View Post
      Isn't that pretty much normal everywhere outside the US?
      It's standard in the UK too, price includes tax for retail. I think it's standard every that isn't a bunch of states with common advertising over different tax levels.
      ludo ergo sum

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
        Sadly, no. With different tax rates in every city, plus the fact that in the states we tax the total sum of all charges as opposed to each item seperately.
        And don't forget, some states don't even have sales tax . . . (i.e. Oregon!!!)
        This area is left blank for a reason.

Comment

Quoth karma_gypsy View Post
          And don't forget, some states don't even have sales tax . . . (i.e. Oregon!!!)
          Tell me about it...if I lived in South Jersey I'd go shopping in Delaware! But at least we have it better than New York...
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Nutjob R/T View Post
            "Chaaaaaaaaaarlie! We're going to Caaaaaaaandy Moooooouuuuuuntain, Chaaaaaaaaaarlieeeee! Caaaaaaandy Mouuuuuuuunnntaaaain!"
            Aw, they took my freaking kidney!

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
              Tell me about it...if I lived in South Jersey I'd go shopping in Delaware! But at least we have it better than New York...
              But New York doesn't have sales on pre-prepared food, shoes, and clothes for under $110 (or some other price that I don't know).

Comment

Quoth Nutjob R/T View Post
                "Chaaaaaaaaaarlie! We're going to Caaaaaaaandy Moooooouuuuuuntain, Chaaaaaaaaaarlieeeee! Caaaaaaandy Mouuuuuuuunnntaaaain!"
                lol yeah charlie! where going to candy mountain!

Comment

Phone #s over the phone...

At least some of the customers looking for phone records over the phone are likely to be detectives or other hacker-types trying a classic bit of social engineering. That's why there's the FCC rule....

Comment

Quoth ds_36 View Post
                    But New York doesn't have sales on pre-prepared food, shoes, and clothes for under $110 (or some other price that I don't know).
                    True. NJ doesn't tax clothing or most grocery items.
                    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Sliceanddice View Post
                      a unicorn? or in this case- a waffle-corn

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH.

*must draw a Waffle Corn now*
                      Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Quoth Kara_CS View Post
                        Breaking the Law, Breaking the Law...

SW: I need a number from my call records.
                        ME: You can view your call records online.
                        SW: No, I want you to tell me the number, I don't have time for that.
                        ME: Unfortunately, due to FCC privacy regulations, I cannot provide personal information over the phone. I can confirm it if you provide it to me first.
                        SW: I don't want personal information. Just a number from my call records.
                        ME: Yes, a number from your call records, which is personal information that I cannot disclose by phone. You can log in securely to your online account and view your call detail.
                        SW: NO! I'm not going to sit here and have you tell me you can't give me information from my own account!
                        ME: If there was any way I could provide that information to you, I would. But I can't do that.
                        SW: YOU HAVE TO DO WHAT I ASK!
                        ME: Ma'am, I cannot and will not break a federal law for you.
                        SW: I'm not trying to hear what it is you're telling me!

Yeah, I gathered that much. But I already knew that, and it doesn't change the fact that I refuse to have the FCC on me because you're too lazy to look up the information yourself.
                        At Cingular, I had an attorney like that come into the store for a solid week trying to get some guy's cell number for a court case she was handling. She had given us the subpeona, but we had to send it to corporate to get the records for her. My manager was handling it, but she just made herself a nuisance. One day, she called while the manager was as lunch and I offered to take down her name and number so my manager would call her back.

Her response: "I don't know why this is so difficult! I just want to find out this guy's number. I already have his name and everything."

I was ready to remind her about privacy laws and how, as an attorney, she should know how many hoops she needs to jump through to get that kind of information. I never knew what was the ultimate result of that situation.
                        A smile is just a grimace that's been edited for public consumption. -- Tony Cochran

Comment

Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work and the lawyer should know that. We have a legal department they can send a fax or letter to, then Legal will fax or mail them the info they need. It's always fun when someone calls in throwing a fit because they need that information for court tomorrow and didn't think to call in weeks ago when they were getting the rest of their case put together. "But I need it noooooow! My case doesn't stand a chance without it." Gee, it seems pretty damn important to put it off until the last minute. We'll get back with you in 5-7 business days, bye bye now!
                          "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

Working...
                          X