Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our old house number was 25320. Quite often we'd have people read it as twentyfive, thirtytwo, zero. It worked that way, because all of the numbers were represented, and in the correct order. Ijust read them off as individual numbers, just trying to eliminate all possibilities of confusion, though we know that isn't possible.
    That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Numbers are tricky.

I know that I always try to read out each number, and I say "zero" instead of "oh" just because I like to be precise.

This reminds me of the old 8088, which was referred to as the eighty-eighty-eight.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Sonoma View Post
        Ijust read them off as individual numbers, just trying to eliminate all possibilities of confusion, though we know that isn't possible.
        Part of why I read things off in number groups like that is too keep from flipping them. I have ADD and Dyslexia(thank you Firefox spell check). I have a horrid time with flipping numbers. I number like 1232 would constantly be 3212.... So Thirteen Thirty two is going to stay better.

Maybe all the SC's have dyslexia??? Just kidding
        Shamus: Why hasn't anybody designs a cranium-anus extraction kit yet? It seems that so many people suffer from a improperly-stored head.

Comment

Wow. I cant understand why people do that. I've been accused of being a computer before when I read numbers off as I go one digit at a time and straight through clearly ennunciateing each digit. Then again I was trained to communicate over the CB radio one of the least clear communication devices instead of just talk.

Comment

Quoth slick View Post
            He must have been messing with me, I can't believe that someone is that dumb, I was just punked!
            Yes, yes they can be that dumb. Had a lady this morning that couldn't find the listing for the Albuquerque Journal (newspaper) in the phone book. One - she was looking under "J", for Journal (instead of "A" for Abq), and B - she was looking in the residential listings!

Quoth Nayeli_Sabia View Post
            I'm guilty of reading my old address(13063) as Thirteen-zero-sixtythree. Am I evil?
            Well, evil you might be, but not for the way you read your old address!

Quoth Sonoma View Post
            Our old house number was 25320. Quite often we'd have people read it as twentyfive, thirtytwo, zero.
            My old address here was 12801 and I usually said, "twelve-eight-oh-one".
            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Nephy View Post
              I could see a ditzy highschool cheerleader going "Like, if zero is nothing, then it shouldn't matter if it's there or not, right?"
              Ummm....that sounds like some of my college students!
              Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Had an interesting conversation with a billing agent at the phone company the other day. I was giving her my credit card number and we had an argument over whether "0166" was the same as "sixty-one hundred".

She said yes.

I said no way.

So she entered in "6100"

No, I said, I wanted "0166"

Finally we established that "0166" could be pronounced as "zero one sixty-six".

Then, we had an argument about whether "5270" was the same as "5278". This whole time, she'd been repeating back 5270. Then all of a sudden, as soon as we got 0166 down pat, it became 5278.

THEN she got the expiry date wrong. (The card expires in December. I'll have to talk to her AGAIN.)

I finally asked her to repeat the whole thing back to me. She did. It was correct. I couldn't help myself. I yelled "WE GOT IT!" like I would at a sports game.

All my co-workers who had stopped to listen started to cheer.

My boss goes, "Holy ---- Mango, that was incredible!"

Comment

I admit that I am guilty of numbers problems... I do it with streets though. SLC is on a grid system... every 800 units is one mile (so 100 units is 1/8 mile). Most of the blocks are 1/8 of a mile, so we'll have 100 south, 200 south, 300 south, and so on. There are a few named streats (and a few that are both numbered and named). However, Utahns are lazy, so rather than telling people to meet us at the Astro Burger at 3900 South and State, we tell people to meet us at the Astro Burger at 39th and State (because we know if you say 39th you really mean 3900, and the South can be implied because that is the only 39th that intersects state)
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
                  X