This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liar, liar, pants on fire!

Ever had a customer tell lies about you just to get you into trouble? There have been a couple of times when I've suspected it, but at the supermarket, they just have a word with you and nothing comes of it; I also tend to cry when angry, so I think they just leave it cuz they think I'm upset when in fact I want to hunt down the liar and twist their head off for their spite in lying about me.

This one tho is a real blast from the past. It happened back when I was working in the pizza place; at the time, I had blue hair. I was minding my own business, wiping down the counters cuz it was a bit slow when this woman came in and demanded to speak to the boss. Bossman was in, so I went to get him. The woman immediately started ranting, claiming I'd sworn at her when she'd come into the shop the other day and demanding that I be fired.

Bossman raises an eyebrow at this; I've dropped the occasional f-bomb before, but only when I've dropped something or hurt myself and never in front of customers. "Can you tell me what day this was?" "Yes I can," says the evil old bat. "It was Wednesday that the girl with blue hair swore at me." "In that case, you must be mistaken," Bossman replied. "Cuz Lace wasn't working that day at all." Evil old bat stares at Bossman, then at me, in confusion; she in fact, looked just like a deer in headlights. Caught out telling fibs, she walked out of the shop without another word, leaving me and Bossman in fits of laughter.
    People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
    My DeviantArt.

Yeah, I had one guy I'd never ever met or even seen before swear blind to my manager that I'd "cussed him out and called him a baby" in a section of the store I didn't work in, 20 minutes before I pulled up for work that day.

The manager knew it bs and laughed it off. I was pretty annoyed. I figure dementia, most likely.

Comment

I don't understand why people would do that -- I'm sure it's happened to most of us here! Once, when my hair was bubble-gum pink, a customer told my boss that I tried to sell her ecstacy. My boss, knowing my opinions on drugs and the like, blinked at her and burst out laughing.

Really, though, what is the motivation behind something like that?!!

Comment

Quoth PetStoreKate View Post

Really, though, what is the motivation behind something like that?!!

I can offer you three opinions. Take your pick

A) They have a sick sense of humor and find it fun to get someone else in trouble for no reason.

B) It really did happen, but not as they described. Could have been another customer. and they forgot what the person looked like.

C) They need mental help.
        MMO Addicts group

Comment

I caught a woman trying to scam the grocery store and she turned it around and called and complained that she was on welfare and food stamps and how dare I take food out of her children's mouths, etc etc etc....

And I got suspended.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Re: the people with odd hair colors, multiple piercings, or who like to dress in something unusual - they tell lies about you because they are threatened by your being different.

I only wish I were joking.

^-.-^
            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Actually, we had someone lie about us today. Apparently, down at another Petcetera location, a lady was trying to do a return. The manager got this call:

OtherStoreLady (OSL)
              Manager (M)
              Me (me)
              OtherGirlHere(OGH)
              GuyHere(GH)

OSL on phone: Hi. Did you turn a customer away today and tell them you couldnt' do a return and sent them down here?? She's really mad!
              M: What? No, nobody would do that...
              Customer gets on phone (from what I can telll), ranting and raving: Yes, it was the girl cashier! The one with Dirty Blonde Hair in a ponytail!
              M:Well, that's kind of funny. One girl here has dark brown hair with a grey streak (me), and the other has neon green and pink hair (OGH)
              Customer: What about you?!?
              M:I have short multicolored hair.

So apparently, the other location couldn't do anything for her EITHER, so they sent her back to US.

She never did show up. We were all very curious who this Mystery Girl is. We joked for a while that maybe Guy Here was mistaken for a girl, as he has long hair, but his hair is neither Dirty Blonde, nor does he appear very feminine.

M asked us later if any of us had refused a return. None of us did. I was just going on lunch when the lady apparently was refused, and Guy was on, and Girl was not on. Only one cash. We think she got her pet stores mixed up.

She never did show up.
              Do radioactive cats have 18 half-lives?

Comment

Oh yeah. I had a customer come in the store once and said that I had chewed him out, pushed his kids down. Of course we have cameras up and running. According to him, it happened 4 days before I started working there. When he found that tidbit out, he just up and left.
                Under The Moon Paranormal Research
                San Joaquin Valley Paranormal Research

Comment

Once in a while I get the "I JUST TALKED TO YOU AND NOW I'M UPSET" calls right when I first sign in. Another variation is my always cheerful greeting met with a quick "DID I JUST TALK TO YOU??" A quick " doubt it, since I just started my shift 5 minutes ago" tends to calm them down.
                  "You know, there are times when it's a source of personal pride not to be human." - Hobbes

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                    Re: the people with odd hair colors, multiple piercings, or who like to dress in something unusual - they tell lies about you because they are threatened by your being different.

^-.-^
                    Well, I'm about as 'un'different as they come and SCs have lied about me many, many times during my 7+ years in retail. It's always been because they didn't get what they wanted or the answer I gave them to their stupid question wasn't what they wanted to hear.

People are just scum. And it doesn't help matters any when management always takes their side.

Last edited by Retail Associate; 10-20-2007, 07:14 AM.
                    Retail Haiku:
                    Depression sets in.
                    The hellhole is calling me ~
                    I don't want to go.

Comment

One of our managers, who was filling in temporarily form another store, had a customer claim that the cashier beat up her kid, or something like that. She was told we have the old incident tape and just left the store. Hasn't been heard from since.

Comment

This happened quite a while ago, but... My (ex)-husband and I were at a restaurant, and our waitress came over to give us our drinks and take our orders. Nice kid, 16 or so, and we chatted with her for a bit. We're sitting there just chit-chatting together, and this nicely dressed (pearls, dress outfit) older woman is seated behind us. Our waitress comes, takes her drink order, and her meal order, the woman knew what she wanted, and we don't think anything of it. Next thing we know, this woman flags down the manager. Then proceeds to tell her how this waitress cursed her out, and was abusive to her!!!! We look at eachother going Huh?

After the manager finished with her, I quietly got up and followed the manager. Once we were out of ear-shot of the woman I told her what I had heard, and let her know that nothing like that had happened. She told me that this particular woman had a habit of doing this, and was well known at all of the local restaurants for doing this.

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post

^-.-^
                          I'm sure that's true; I had blue (and occassionally, green or pink) hair at the pizza place and pet centre, and now I have Rogue style hair (red with blonde bits in front) and I'm sure a lot of SCs do feel threatened. However, I do get a lot of very nice people complimenting me on my hair, and the rare person who gets the reference.
                          People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                          My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                            and the rare person who gets the reference.
                            "We love what you've done with your hair."
                            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                              However, I do get a lot of very nice people complimenting me on my hair, and the rare person who gets the reference.
                              I bet more people get it now, than did when I had my that way. Mine was like that back circa 1994-95, I never ran into someone who got the cool reference, everyone kept calling me a skunk.
                              The only words you said that I understood were "His", "Phone" and "Ya'll". The other 2 paragraphs worth was about as intelligible as a drunken Teletubby barkin' come on's at a Hooter's waitress.

Comment

Working...
                              X