This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charging for a Breadbasket

So we apparently have a regular SC around these parts. I've seen her twice--once on my first day, and once yesterday--but she's apparently had herself a reputation for a while, and even a nickname.

Basically, every time she comes, she and her friend share a baby-whatever-salad and have two rolls each. She has no interest in paying for the rolls, even though the salad only comes with one (I believe). (She's also apparently fairly particular--on my first day, I sat her in one space, and by the time I'd gotten back to the host stand she'd moved to the next table. I'm more than happy to move folks, but it kind of weirded me that they didn't even mention anything to me.)

So, this most recent time, my fellow hostess, P (five-year veteran--knows pretty much everyone on a first-name basis) seats her with waiter J, thinking that he's served her before and knows the deal. But apparently, he didn't, because he, gasp!, said he'd have to charge her for a breadbasket.

Egh.

So she comes back to the host stand and says something to the effect of, "P, I'm never sitting with this waiter again! I'm just trying to get the same thing that I get every time, and he wants to charge me for a breadbasket! I thought you'd *explained* to him, P!"

P: "Oh, I'm sorry, I thought he'd served you before! I'll go talk with him . . ."

Of course, P knows she's being cheap, dislikes her conduct, and spent the rest of the morning trying to hide from her (. . . uh?), but she's all about doing what she can for customers, so she goes back and talks to J.

In front of the manager. Who says he's through with putting up with this kind of thing. Which I'm happy about, since she definitely deserves to be charged for a breadbasket if she's going to order lots of rolls on a regular basis. But P is scared that the manager is going to visit her table and think that P sent him.

I'm not sure why this is an issue, since P has admitted (in nicer terms) that she hates the woman, but I guess she loves to be loved.

I think it must have ended that she got charged for the breadbasket, but I missed her exit so I'm not sure. In any case, she's got another waiter she refuses to be sat with. I don't think we've got many more "acceptable" ones.

So I guess there are two sucks here.

The woman sucks for trying (and succeeding, before) at getting something for nothing, for thinking it's the host's job to make servers give price-breaks, and to deem J unacceptable for trying to charge her for what she ordered.

P sucks for encouraging the woman's beliefs, for not standing up for anything (it's one thing to say "I'll see what I can do" and do that, it's another to say "I'll make him understand" and then make noises about what an unreasonable cheapskate she is), and for spending the rest of the woman's visit hiding from her rather than being remotely professional about it.

*sigh*

Fortunately, I was only tangentially involved in this suck, so it really didn't impact my morning much. Still a bit of a WTF over a pretty cheap item, though.

ah, entitlement whores and the cheapskate train; time to punch her ticket, kick her off and make her pay.

nothing is free, after all...if you can't afford it, well, save up and get it, or do without.
    look! it's ghengis khan!
    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

It bothers a lot of people to be disliked. Quite a lot of people, in fact. They don't even want to be disliked by people THEY don't even like.

Tell P if someone dislikes you, you won't die from it. Just trust me on this.

People often forget that if certain people dislike you, it probably means you did something right.

Comment

i saw a commercial or heard a commercial today ( i just woke up so im to out of it to go into details) but it said 'You as a customer are entiltled to the best!' i thought oi thats where they come from (i might have misquote just awake)

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
          It bothers a lot of people to be disliked. Quite a lot of people, in fact. They don't even want to be disliked by people THEY don't even like.

Tell P if someone dislikes you, you won't die from it. Just trust me on this.

People often forget that if certain people dislike you, it probably means you did something right.
          good point, when I worked in parking enforcement, my manager point blank told me that if I wasn't the most hated person in the city i wasn't doing my job properly.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Working...
          X