Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You may not be able to recover the info on the floppies anyway. Most are past their shelf-life and just don't work right, even fresh out of the package.

I got a USB floppy drive with my last laptop, since the laptop before that came with one and we still had disks floating around. Most of which didn't work right.
    "If you find yourself fantasizing about throwing actual users into a blender, please get help... they're heavy." - Tom Dickson

Comment

Quoth depechemodefan View Post
      Ok, I really hate when people get disappointed you don't sell out-of-date things. Next thing you know they will be upset no one sells rotary phones.
      Being disappointed that something was discontinued or doesn't have any support anymore is one understandable thing. Being a total jerk about it is a completely different thing and is not that much understandable.
      "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Quoth Bliss View Post
        Btw Dips, knowing what kind of products you sell, if the governing body has changed regulations, isn't it actually counterproductive if she insists on using the old program?
        Yes and no. She could use the old program, produce output with lots of mistakes, proofread the output, and make the thousands of corrections by hand. To her that's probably easier than overcoming her fear of learning to use the updated version.

I feel some sympathy for her. She has done volunteer work for a customer of ours for 25 years. They are updating the software she has been using and she wants to buy a copy of the old version so she can keep volunteering without learning the new version. It's actually very sweet.

I don't know what the situation is between her and the people for whom she volunteers. Are they insisting she either update or stop volunteering? Has the output she has been giving them recently had too many mistakes? Are they trying to convince her to retire from helping them without hurting her feelings and using this as an excuse? It's probably pretty complicated.

So, she's certainly not sucky for wanting to be productive and help people. She's also not necessarily sucky for not wanting to learn something new. The situation (not the person) sucks because, in this case, being productive and helping people means learning something new.

And, unfortunately, calling us again and again and talking to "someone else" isn't going to change that reality.

Quoth Samaliel View Post
        Being disappointed that something was discontinued or doesn't have any support anymore is one understandable thing. Being a total jerk about it is a completely different thing and is not that much understandable.
        She certainly wasn't an SC or a jerk. I didn't post the story because it met some arbitrary threshold of suck, I posted it more because the request and the rest of the interaction kind of threw me off balance. She was SO CALM and SO SURE that selling discontinued product is a perfectly normal thing for a manufacturer to do. It was...interesting.
        Last edited by Dips; 06-13-2008, 03:26 PM.
        The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

Quoth depechemodefan View Post
          Ok, I really hate when people get disappointed you don't sell out-of-date things. Next thing you know they will be upset no one sells rotary phones.
          Oh, but they DO still sell rotary phones. Here's a favorite one: Port-a-Rotary
          The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
          "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
          Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth CorDarei View Post
            commodore 64 is a system... Not a game
            Yes, but ISOs are system recognizable files that can emulate particular OSes. Or CDs, or whatever.
            "I call murder on that!"

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
              You get quadruple double fudge chocolate chip cookie points for linking sparkfun in here. Kudos (or was it Q-DOS ) to you man.
              I pet animals, I rescue insects, I hug trees.

"I picture the lead singer of Gwar screaming 'People of Japan, look at my balls! My swinging pendulous balls!!!'" -- Khyras

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                GK, the only thing that wins more than that is Chuck Norris. Seriously awesome!!!
                ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                X